Old 08-04-2015, 12:56 AM   #41
Scraping Paint

City: -
Eric--- The exterior screens (perforated dished bronze plates in our case) were already installed over every intake through-hull on the boat when we bought it.

What we had the yard in Tacoma add before we launched the boat after trucking it up from California were the big bronze and glass Groco sea strainers in the engine room between the intake seacocks and the raw water pumps on the engines. The boat had not had these during the first 25 years of its life in SFO Bay.

There is eelgrass in the water all over the place in Bellingham Bay and in the islands. We had the boat out into the islands yesterday with friends from back east and dodged any number of big, floating mats of eelgrass. How it gets ripped out of the bottom I don't know but the mats (and individual strands) as well as free-floating kelp are an ever-present component of the trash lines along current breaks and tide rips.

We see this all the time farther south, too, when we use our trailer fishing boat for crabbing near Whidbey and Camano islands.

While the exterior perforated plates were already on the boat, our diesel shop told us that they do help prevent eelgrass strands from being sucked up into the sea strainers, sort of a "first line of defense" if you will. The advantage given by our diesel shop is that they have seen individual strands of eelgrass snake their way through a sea strainer and make it into the impeller chamber of a raw water pump. This may or may not cause a problem depending on how much grass works its way in there.

In the case of our friend that I described in the previous post, the sea strainer prevented the eelgrass from getting to the raw water pump itself. But because he has no exterior screen or plate at all, it was easy for the suction from the 420 hp Cat in his boat to pull a lot of grass into the intake hose when he was running in shallow water or through grass mats and eventually it clogged the hose and sea strainer so tightly it was enough to cause his engine to suddenly and rapidly begin to overheat (at a rather inopportune moment).

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 03:46 PM   #42
Guru

City: DC
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
Given how bad our generator strainer has been filling up with eel grass and hydrilla this year, I think we may consider adding the external grates at next haul out. I was cleaning it about once an hour this past weekend. The AC and main engine intakes are deeper, located close to the keel, and thus far we have not had the same issue with those systems. (knock on wood)

Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 04:24 PM   #43
Guru

City: kemah
My ocean alexander has a large manifold that has a 6" intake and 7 outlets (of various sizes). All outlets go to groco's and I am being still amused at what I find in them.

Usually it's green scum algae, whoever name this "Clear Lake" was clearly a moron, but I have gotten some jelly fish, and yesterday I found 4 - 1" long shrimp. With that 6" inlet, I cant wait till I catch that 3' tarpon than patrols under the dock.

If I was at sea, I might wonder about the need, but here dockside it's very clear the screens are a must.
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 01:19 PM   #44
OFB
Guru

City: Richmond bc
Vessel Name: Invader no1
Vessel Model: Kishi Boat works
Weather plays into this as in freezing Temps. Freezing the water within the strainer can break the housing etc etc point being as usual there is no simple answer. Er Temps can be much colder than water Temps. Most strainers located bellow the water line. Gate valves instead of ball etc etc
Random thoughts. I have dewatered a fewboats suffering from such after the warming
OFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:29 PM   #45
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
OFB,
Nice to see you posting.
Looks like you've anchored the OFB and are going somewhere in a Livingston.
Thanks for sharing some travels.
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:50 PM   #46
Guru

City: DC
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
We seem to loose at least one boat a season in our marina due to cracked sea strainers and failure to properly winterize. One that went down this past winter the owner claimed he had a bilge heater. Putting aside that wisdom when the power goes out, when asked where the heater was located he said in the cabin.
Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:00 PM   #47
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
OFB,
Nice to see you posting.
Looks like you've anchored the OFB and are going somewhere in a Livingston.
Thanks for sharing some travels.
Eric

Eric
Not to hijack the thread, but I was checking your profile- which led me into checking out Concrete Alaska. WOW! What a beautiful town! The churches, the dam. Henry Thompson Bridge.
I'm done . What a great place to live.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 08-17-2015, 05:27 PM   #48
Scraping Paint

It's actually Concrete, Washington. So named because of the aggregate company that used to located there.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:49 PM   #49
Guru

Sorry.. Meant Washington. Was amazed by the architecture and building styles. Would love to visit the town someday .

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 08-17-2015, 09:07 PM   #50
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkliftt View Post
Sorry.. Meant Washington. Was amazed by the architecture and building styles. Would love to visit the town someday .
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Well, there's not much too it anymore. Basically one main street parallel to the highway and some residential streets. But there are some neat buildings and the two reservoirs behind dams up behind the town, Lakes Shannon and Baker, are nice to visit, camp and fish on. Some of the big aggregate silos are still next to the highway and they have a little general aviation airstrip across the river.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:19 PM   #51
Guru

Thanks for things to look for . Wikipedia lists a few "first" engineering accomplishments in the past (Lower Baker Dam and the Henry Thompson Bridge). I think it would be a great place to visit, and with a population of ~ 740...
It can't be too "touristy" I hope !!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 08-17-2015, 11:39 PM   #52
Scraping Paint

[QUOTE=Forkliftt;359551
It can't be too "touristy" I hope !![/quote]

No. Tourists don't even see it as they whiz by on their drive up the Skagit River over the North Cascade Highway (Highway 20) through the mountains to eastern Washington. I've lived here for 36 years and driven past Concrete hundreds of times but the first time I ever bothered to drive into it was earlier this year on our way back from looking for eagles up the river (there weren't any, the salmon had all spawned, died, and been eaten and the eagles were all back down in the Skagit delta). On a whim we drove a block over onto the main street of Concrete just to see what it looked like. Not much there, really, but we did stumble across a really cool logging arch in a fellow's yard. Stopped and took some photos of it and then headed home.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:46 PM   #53
Guru

Small world... Hopefully Eric will pitch in with some of his experiences.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 08-22-2015, 10:23 AM   #54
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Marin thanks for filling in for me. My computer is in the shop. I'm pretending to be Chris on hers but don't have access to my pics.

Steve,
Glad you like our digs. Coming from SE AK perhaps we picked out a place that resembles the north country. I say sometimes that many of the people here resemble the people of Thorne Bay more than the people of Thorne Bay. Similarities are surprising but it's very different.

PM me for a phone # and let me know when you're dropping by.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 07:53 PM   #55
Guru

Eric,
That would be great. I will do. We have locked in a few "to do"s already. Patricia and I are looking forward to getting up there.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 09-13-2015, 04:35 PM   #56
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Funny thing is...

On boats prior to our Tolly we had viewable in bilge strainers/filters and we sometimes (fairly often) needed to clear them out of slime/small-debris for continued good water flow.

But!! On our Tolly we have no strainers... just really good close tolerance, large "strand" screens as engine cooling water pickups on boat bottom. Inside SF Delta we are often in shoal waters that have willowy sea weeds at surface and under surface. We have not had engine overheat in seven years of being in Delta waters and I often go under boat with mask on... never seen anything in the water pickups. When changing raw water impellers no problem-stuff found either.

Soooo... I must ask... are view-screen strainers/filters inside boat between under-hull water pickup and engine really necessary??
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 04:48 PM   #57
Guru

City: Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Funny thing is...

On boats prior to our Tolly we had viewable in bilge strainers/filters and we sometimes (fairly often) needed to clear them out of slime/small-debris for continued good water flow.

But!! On our Tolly we have no strainers... just really good close tolerance, large "strand" screens as engine cooling water pickups on boat bottom. Inside SF Delta we are often in shoal waters that have willowy sea weeds at surface and under surface. We have not had engine overheat in seven years of being in Delta waters and I often go under boat with mask on... never seen anything in the water pickups. When changing raw water impellers no problem-stuff found either.

Soooo... I must ask... are view-screen strainers/filters inside boat between under-hull water pickup and engine really necessary??

You should buy a Lottie ticket Cleaned out my strainer last week 4 little fish about 2 inches long still alive a big hand full of 1/4 inch ribbon grass and 12 inches of braid fishing line it took 2 minutes to clean the strainer and wonder what would have happened if any one of those 5 things go into my water pump
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 05:02 PM   #58
Scraping Paint

Art- Strainers are important here. We have eelgrass that has a way of working it's way past through-hull screens and can even find its way through a big sea strainer and into a raw water pump where it can screw things up.

Our boat, which spent the first 25 years of its life in SFO Bay and the delta and river did not have sea steainers when we acquired it. We had them installed immediately upon the boat's arrival here. So perhaps they are not as important to have down there as they are up here.
Old 09-13-2015, 05:05 PM   #59
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Simple answer is that the external screen prevents most of the junk, but whatever goes through goes until it hangs up somewhere else. The internal strainer basket often holds some solids that fell out do to gravity. Have both on my charter boat, and often find some hard bits in the bottom of the strainer at the end of the season. While they likely go right on through, I'm happy that there not getting between the pump impeller and the housing. While the internal one isn't absolutely necessary, I certainly wouldn't remove it if you were adding the pin hole style external one. Now have both on my trawler.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 05:06 PM   #60
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
You should buy a Lottie ticket Cleaned out my strainer last week 4 little fish about 2 inches long still alive a big hand full of 1/4 inch ribbon grass and 12 inches of braid fishing line it took 2 minutes to clean the strainer and wonder what would have happened if any one of those 5 things go into my water pump
Seems you must have wide open hole in bottom for water draw. We don't. Our water hole has cover of many 1/4" slat openings about 5" long. Total width of this slated external strainer is about 4". What you found in your inside strainer would get past our external strainer.

Art is offline   Reply With Quote