Do new engine mounts equal less noise and vibration?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I put PSS dripless on my Silverton and they've been fine for 4 seasons. I think you're right about a good packing setup, the one that came with the boat is solid bronze and very beefy. I think the two pillow blocks on my boat are necessary because of the very long shaft run. I am told they prevent shaft "wobble" and also, my gear is 2 1/2 to one so prolly only about 900 rpm at wot. I do use boatdiesel.com so I'll see there.

My 200 hp Perkins shake my 34 Californian at idle when in the water. On the hard they run smooth as silk. I am talking about 650 idle speed in neutral. My conclusion is harmonic type vibration in the hull. I need to go through the boat and make fixes to individual parts of the boat that shake/rattle.

Duvie,

I'd think of bumping up your idle speed. And if that gives you problems your'e probably over propped.

I like your short and easy to remember username.

Vibration is apparent while out of gear. On the hard you can barely feel the engines. In the water anything not secured tightly vibrates. In gear vibration is slightly less. The decks on the Californians are not supported very well. I am thinking some smartly placed supports might make a big difference??

Frequently it's bulkheads too. But in your case w the in/out of water difference I'd look to the bottom of the boat. Look for a relatively large relatively flat area w/o good support or none at all. Like a bottom w/o stringers so it can to some degree "tin can".

Back
Top Bottom