Old 02-01-2016, 10:56 AM   #101
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Rather than bother with a RPi, why not do a Corona SDK lua app that queries the Arduino over the internet for a string to be parsed and displayed on the screen of a tablet?

I assume you can do IP socket communications with an ethernet shield? or is it native on your arduino?

stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 11:09 AM   #102
Guru

By using Corona SDK, you can make an app for different devices (even apple TV now).
https://coronalabs.com/

For small scale users as this would be, it's free for the dev kit, not like it used to be.

Here is an example on how to do TCP/IP and UDP communications with another device, which could be an Arduino.

https://coronalabs.com/blog/2014/09/...r-with-udptcp/

All you would need is to know the IP address of the Arduino.

Old 02-01-2016, 12:26 PM   #103

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Shellbourne
Vessel Model: 1978 Mainship 34 Perkins T6.354
At this point the easiest and most flexible way to get the Arduino on the network is to hang the RPI on it. The arduino wifi sheild uses several pins, is not cheap, and is pretty limited with it what it can do.

The Arduino has no networking ability built in.
R_p_ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 01:58 PM   #104

City: Salt Spring Island
Vessel Name: Twilight
Vessel Model: Permaglass Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_p_ryan View Post
Djones44,
How are you with ios apps? Initially I was thinking this would just display engine data, but the RPI puts media, reference data, and all kinds of capability right out there.

Do you have an app for your enclosure, or is just for keeping it dry?. Are you planning on having it join an AP on the boat?

We should work together, I can focus on the integrations and data, if you want to make it look purrty
The Poort is simply an iPad enclosure, horizontal or vertical, with no associated apps as yet. Lard Jayzus, ain't they enough for the 'Pad already??

I'm a longtime Windows developer, but have no iOS plans. As a former IBM clone builder too (Cardz) I think I've supported enough hardware for one lifetime. ;-)

That said, I do plan to invite a coterie of impressionable youths (relatively) onto my boat to try their hand at boat instrumentation and WiFi data games. I was much influenced by the motivational speeches of T. Sawyer and Major Hoople.
djones44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 02:36 PM   #105
Guru

So, the RPi will talk to the Arduino over serial?

Redpark has a serial to iPad cable (even an option to charge the iPad in the process).

Is what you're doing tying up the ports used for an Ethernet shield?
Old 02-02-2016, 09:28 AM   #106

City: Pensacola, FL
Vessel Name: Sea Triscuit
Vessel Model: Transtar 50'
Please forgive my ignorance; I don't understand all the technical stuff that's been discussed but the project sounds awesome. If Arduino is being used, could the sensor system be integrated into something like this? http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ct-152754.html
Old 02-02-2016, 01:18 PM   #107

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Shellbourne
Vessel Model: 1978 Mainship 34 Perkins T6.354
Panhandler, thank you x1000 for the link. This is a perfect system to integrate. I posted on their forum about this project.

Stu,
There are two pins on the Arduino that talk serial. These are connected to the GPIO pins on the RPI. I made up a sentence that has all the sensor readings and it's returned to the RPI over the serial connection. Then a python library queries the GPIO pins and parses the data and returns HTML. I'm currently integrating some sexy analog guages for the iPad or any other browser.

I looked at using SignalK but it's a bit complex.
R_p_ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:39 AM   #108

City: Pensacola, FL
Vessel Name: Sea Triscuit
Vessel Model: Transtar 50'
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_p_ryan View Post
Panhandler, thank you x1000 for the link. This is a perfect system to integrate. I posted on their forum about this project.
Great! Sounds like it could be an awesome and groundbreaking system when running and integrated. Can't wait to see it! Wish I had some expertise to donate...
Panhandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 06:26 PM   #109

City: Salt Spring Island
Vessel Name: Twilight
Vessel Model: Permaglass Sedan
A possible interface for the device?

Samsung announced a car modem today that connects to your OBD diagnostic port on your car and full LTE.

Now this can do a lot of things, but for our purposes I like the claim that it "lets drivers monitor their vehicle's performance as well as locate it."

So the question becomes: how can our boat engine(s) talk to this device, via the car software interface? And can we adopt that module for our application? Moderate it with an iPad app?

My project is to get the engine data up into WiFi, parsed into the cars' onboard electronics, adopting their receiver SDK, and then feed the iPads from there.

And have that bandwidth to burn, see things with little latency.

Dwight
djones44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:25 PM   #110

City: Corning
I stumbled onto this thread while searching the net for Arduino and
"Engine monitoring" topics. I joined the forum so I could post.
I read thru all 6 pages with ever increasing interest only to find things
had ground to a halt 8 months ago. Seems to happen all too often on the internetz.
What happened? Is this topic/project dead or suspended?

I'm not a boat guy so maybe my application would be considered off topic? I'd be very interested in this project to monitor similar conditions on a large diesel air compressor. It seems adaptable. Strictly for use by only me in my shop.

Dan

dkmc is offline   Reply With Quote