Old 01-22-2016, 09:39 AM   #81
Veteran Member

City: Islamorada, FL
Vessel Name: Panacea
Vessel Model: Marine Builders, Voyager 70
Feeling like my two worlds are colliding in this post. Very cool. Following and hope to contribute if I can clear some time.

Panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 02:43 PM   #82

City: ---
Vessel Name: ---
A more serious application for this project would be a control system for drive line temperatures on heavy duty 4x4 like a Mercedes Unimog.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gearbox-diagram.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	48296  

123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 04:08 PM   #83

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Shellbourne
Vessel Model: 1978 Mainship 34 Perkins T6.354
It's very simple to add on a high-voltage, high-amp relay to the Arduino. There is also a high-power PWM motor controller shield. These two shields are sitting in my electronics box looking for a project.
R_p_ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 05:56 PM   #84
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
mixing high and low voltages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_p_ryan View Post
It's very simple to add on a high-voltage, high-amp relay to the Arduino. There is also a high-power PWM motor controller shield. These two shields are sitting in my electronics box looking for a project.
I would attempt to keep the high voltage away from the Arduino if possible and only control the relay with a low voltage (below 5vdc) lead. Perhaps this is what you're planning to do.
stubones99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 06:04 PM   #85

It's a toy sitting in the box with no project in mind. Once I got the basics of the Arduino figured out I thought I'd need these relays for something. Nothing yet to actually control at this point, just monitor.

The sailing folks have done a ton with this sort of stuff, even setting up an Arduino auto pilot. I don't yet have that kind of faith though.
Old 01-22-2016, 06:15 PM   #86
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panacea View Post
Feeling like my two worlds are colliding in this post. Very cool. Following and hope to contribute if I can clear some time.
Not colliding. Merging. Me too. Right now, I am mulling over the possibility of avoiding the very irksome job of running wires from the saloon up to the bridge, and doing it with wireless instead. Just fun, of course, but I see some very distinct possibilities. The nice thing about all this is that (a) for much, much less than just one boat dollar you can do all sorts of cool things, and (b) the more you delve into it, the more you see things which are possible.
Old 01-24-2016, 03:04 AM   #87

The WiFi-enabled version 2.0 wiring diagram and notes are published at https://bitbucket.org/R_P_Ryan/engin...ki/Version_2_0, however version 2.0 is still work in progress.

There are some cool javascript gauges that the Raspberry Pi can serve up.

I took a close look at SignalK and it requires some complex messaging. That, coupled with the lack of SignalK apps made me keep the system as HTML/JS. I scribbled together a python script that returns the values in JSON but making them SignalK-compliant was more effort than I thought was worth it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gauges.png
Views:	48
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	48316   Click image for larger version

Name:	EM2_small.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	48317  
Old 01-24-2016, 09:54 AM   #88

If you integrated a TFT LCD its possible to use it as display for analog displays. For example the 2.2" ILI9341 based 320 x 240 pixel TFT, these are available at low cost on the internet.

Every engine control system needs a watchdog..... after a while people tends to wait for a buzzer signal to be alerted about a problem. When the program loop crasheds this signal will not come......

Why not use the W-connection for RPM, in that case you also control if the V-belt is broken.. In case of a Hall sensor it should be mounted on the alternator for this reason.

Example of an analog instrument on a TFT.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	analog.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	48321  
Old 01-24-2016, 01:15 PM   #89

I've been looking at the low cost TFT displays, but I think with all the iPads out there it seems redundant. The tach on my boat runs off the alternator and it's totally inaccurate, which is why I've added the hall sensor. I think I've seen some amperage sensors that clamp around a wire to sense current. If so, this could be easily added to both the alternator and the main battery bank. It could show the output of the alternator and whether the bank is net drawing or charging.
Old 01-24-2016, 01:53 PM   #90
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Some sensors have induction rings that you slip around one conductor and feed you a proportional voltage based on the amount of current going past. Or you could put a shunt in the circuit which will do the same thing but is a fixed device.
stubones99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 02:25 PM   #91

Quote:
I've been looking at the low cost TFT displays, but I think with all the iPads out there it seems redundant. The tach on my boat runs off the alternator and it's totally inaccurate, which is why I've added the hall sensor. I think I've seen some amperage sensors that clamp around a wire to sense current. If so, this could be easily added to both the alternator and the main battery bank. It could show the output of the alternator and whether the bank is net drawing or charging.

I am not so much interested whether there is a current or not, there are other systems to check that.. I want to know if the V-belt is still intact, this belt often drives the auxiliary water pump in charge for the cooling system. A cheap but vital part which, broken, can generate a high repair bill.

BTW #1. I paid US$ 13 on ebay for the TFT ILI9341 display.

BTW #2. the -W- from an alternator can give a total sound RPM signal. if the pulse is treated right and the divider is right this pulse is an absolute representation of the RPM. It can also detects V-belt slip when compared with the crankshaft RPM.

My 10 centavos
Old 01-24-2016, 04:03 PM   #92

City: Savannah, GA
Vessel Name: In Sanity
Vessel Model: 1981 Mainship 40'
I keep meaning to get into this thread. I just can't seem to find the time to start another project right now. I do have access to a 3d printer and as a thank you to rp for doing all this heavy lifting, if you'd like one, i can make you a custom enclosure for your electronics. Limited to abs plastic right now and I think I'm out of everything but black, haha
Gabe n Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:07 PM   #93

City: west olive mi.
Vessel Name: Slow Ride
Vessel Model: 1979 Mainship 34
Great idea, I did same thing but only on the hi side bilge pump.Looks like new winter project.Thanks.
swboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:12 PM   #94

City: Salt Spring Island
Vessel Name: Twilight
Vessel Model: Permaglass Sedan
Quote:
I do agree that the iPad will be the default interface (and with me a past-life windows developer... pride swallowed). But not the anchor, yet.

My tiny firm Poort.ca should have its marine enclosure kit for the iPad ready early summer, anybody on "Ryan's list" will receive a coupon for Amazon.

I'm in.
djones44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 05:02 AM   #95

Gabe_N_Em, and djones44,

Thanks for the offers, when everything is up and running on the RPI I'll take you up on them.

I was thinking about the web server on the RPi and thought there might be some additional uses. Maybe have a web page with the rules of the road, tide table, fish in season, pictures of the various species of fish that you must throw back, maybe even a music player. Or a form to enter data like the last time you filled the tank, how many hours were on the clock, whether you used fuel treatment, etc ( and have a way to download the file for backup. I'm thinking it could become the operating system for the boat. It's pretty amazing to hold a rasberry pi in your hand and view its web pages on an iPad.

Btw, I have some updates on the sensors at https://bitbucket.org/R_P_Ryan/engin...ture%20Sensors. Basically the DS18B20 sensors should be embedded in a bronze plug or threaded rod. I had them just bonded to the outside of tubing, and that gives a reading similar to what the IR sensor returned. However I setup a test at home comparing a bronze plug vs. epoxying the chip directly on the pipe - the difference was significant.

I'm experimenting with using bronze threaded rod with o-rings and double nuts, this way you just need to drill a hole in the pipe, slip in the rod and o-rings, then double-nut each side. I welded on a bung for my EGT but I'd rather have techniques that don't require welding.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:04 AM   #96

I used the waterproof DS18B20 digital temperature probe. To mount it to the vehicle i used a 6mm 15/64" OD Air Pipe Compression Fitting (from Ebay $5.61). Great way to mount these nice stainless probes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Gas-Co-7.6.13b-5.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	48344  
Old 01-25-2016, 11:50 AM   #97

Great idea!
Old 01-25-2016, 12:08 PM   #98
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I don't know how this compares to your source for pricing, but I got this in my email inbox this morning and thought it might be a good source for you guys. Check it out for Arduino and Raspberry Pi prices.

DX Arduino, Raspberry Pi, development board and expansion board for you

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 02:33 PM   #99

Thanks for the link, I've never seen prices that low. I'll sent them business soon.

I'm having a technical problem and need some help. Since the RPi is a Linux OS it can't just be turned off like the Arduino. In version 1 the power switch is on the side of the LCD enclosure and you can turn it on and off all you want and there's no problem.

I can put a button on the webpage to shutdown the RPI gracefully, then you'd have wait 10 seconds or so before turning off the switch. So I'm sure we do better. I'm thinking the Arduino can be the RPi master and turn it on when the power is on, then have a script running on the RPI to shut itself down if it gets no response from the Arduino. But this would leave a very small draw from the RPi, basically an led. You could shut off the Arduino and as long as it took 15 seconds or more to walk over to the main battery switches to turn them off then it should be fine.

There are some solutions on the web but they entail batteries or large capacitors.

I was thinking about reversing the roles, where the RPi would throw a relay to power on the Arduino, or have a relay for the Arduino to cut off power to the RPI.

Two simple problems are converging to make things complex:
--- The RPi draws a very small current when off
--- The RPi shouldn't be shut off by removing the power
Old 02-01-2016, 11:37 AM   #100

Djones44,
How are you with ios apps? Initially I was thinking this would just display engine data, but the RPI puts media, reference data, and all kinds of capability right out there.

Do you have an app for your enclosure, or is just for keeping it dry?. Are you planning on having it join an AP on the boat?

We should work together, I can focus on the integrations and data, if you want to make it look purrty