dinghy outboard lower unit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Egregious

Guru
Vessel Name
Polly P.
Vessel Make
Monk 36
I put the dinghy in the water for the first time of the season. It started right up but no water flowing out of the pee hole. I put it in gear and ran it for a while, and still no water. So, I figured I'd check the water pump and impeller. Lower unit came right off and the impeller turns out fine. In talking with some people on the dock they said sometimes insects or other blockage can block the water passages over the winter, and just stick a paper clip or pipe cleaner up the hole to ensure it is clear. Too late, I've already removed the lower unit.

The problem is I cannot get it back on. It goes all the way in but just stops a few inches short. I've tried everything I can think of except hitting it with a hammer to get it back on.

Pictured here is the lower unit off and the other picture shows how far it goes before stopping. It seems like the shaft spline isn't fitting into the female connection. Turning the shaft doesn't help. I'm pretty sure this should be simple since the impeller is a regular service item. Any ideas are appreciated.

IMAG0508.jpg

IMAG0509.jpg

Greetings,
Assuming the shaft spline IS lining up, is the other tube lining up as well?

The "other" tube I think is the gear shift linkage. As far as I can tell it is lined up. When you push the lower unit in it feels like the shaft is what is hitting something. Also, by turning the propeller and thus the shaft, I do get resistance as if the tapered end of the spline is making contact with something.

Oh well. Anybody know a good mechanic in Georgetown?

It sounds like you're not getting the splines lined up. Keep turning and pushing.

It sounds like you're not getting the splines lined up. Keep turning and pushing.

after two hours of turning and pushing and shining a light in there I decided to ask the Internet. At least I'm not being stupid. Worst case we don't anchor for a while. At least the generator works! We don't need it since we'll be in marinas...:socool:

Shift shaft, drive shaft and water tube have to all line up for it to go in. Takes a bit of fiddling on most. I think the shift shaft on that one rotates (??) to shift, so a wiggle of shift lever and a turn of flywheel helps. And two sets of hands!! Don't force it, but keep trying with various wiggling.

At least no bolts broke off.

The small shift shaft (that you needed to undo the clamp from using 7/16" socket wrench) needs to protrude through a hole further up the casing to engage with the tilt lock plate when going astern. There is a rubber grommet in the hole that makes it very difficult to align. Try removing the grommet, feeding the shift shaft through then lubing the grommet with dish soap & fitting back in place.

Back
Top Bottom