Old 06-24-2014, 02:55 PM   #41
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post

The thing I like best about the trolling motor is I simply flick a switch and she goes.

How do you keep it charged, Janice?

-Chris

Old 06-24-2014, 05:51 PM   #42
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBomba View Post
I have the same size, different brand, RIB with the same engine. I am very disappointed in the 4s Tohatsu. It is even difficult to get on plane with one person. Only has about 5 hours on it but I am trying to sell it and will pick up a two stroke. I also have a davit system and stayed small to keep the weight down.
I've only used the motor a month and I'm already looking for a replacement. 2nd least favorite OB motor owned. The buzzing tiller makes my arm numb.

1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:07 PM   #43
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
How do you keep it charged, Janice?
Hello Chris. Not so much charged, as equalized with Seaweed.

First of all I ran a pair of wires to the transom from my panel. Like everywhere on Seaweed, the neutral is on the left and Red is Right.

Just to the left was a hole (came with the boat -- tucked under the rub rail)
Eventually that will be a light for the swim platform for Skipper but until I find a fixture...

That's the wire from an old battery charger that bit the dust with a pair of terminal rings at the bitter ends. Because there was little to differentiate between positive and ground I painted one of the wires red. (That's acrylic paint from Walmart -- craft section, 50 cents for a little plastic bottle.)

Shove terminal ends through the hole and then attach to the posts with wing nuts. Then snap on to the battery. Done. By mid-day the boat is at absorption charge and I take off the battery cables to Algae.

Currently I was using a Group 24 (40 amp hours, so usable 20 amps) however it's not really enough for extended trips. A Group 27 or 29 would be better but that's the size I use for Seaweed and priorities being what they are...

Regarding power to run the Minn-Kota 30: (from the company)
"While we do not have exact amp draws at speeds 1-4, but I can give you some estimates. Speed 1 will draw about 6 amps, 2 will be about 10, 3 about 14 and 4 about 18. It takes a big jump from there; when it is on speed 5, the motor will draw up to 30 amps. In reverse, speed 3 is about equal to 5 in forward. I really do not have any information about speeds 1 and 2 in reverse, but you can make some estimates based on the forward speed."

Two articles on my website regard the trolling motors on Algae:
janice142 article Trolling Motor Woes
and
Janice142 article More Trolling Motors

So I don't really "charge" per se, I merely bring the battery in Algae up to Seaweed's level. For someone (me!) without the strength to pull a cord on an outboard, this is the answer that works. And it's not expensive.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:19 PM   #44
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
For someone (me!) without the strength to pull a cord on an outboard, this is the answer that works. And it's not expensive.
Actually pulling a cord on an outboard or a lawn mower is one of the most dangerous things you can do. The nature of the motion across your heart. The exertion. Lots of bad has come when people have had trouble starting something and continued to pull for a while.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:01 PM   #45
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Life is terminal

Like I said before, it depends where you cruise as to what dinghy fits your needs.
Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:45 PM   #46
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Parks: Mine is a Caribe 9, glass bottom, but the lightweight model with no storage box and single floor. With a 9.9 two-stroke Merc she runs like a raped ape with one or two, and just get up on plane with three. My plan is to buy one of your two hp Lehrs when we are cruising the loop for most of our needs and keep the 9.9 aboard for a backup when we get to the islands and have those longer stretches from the anchorages to the beach.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:19 PM   #47
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Larry, Do you know what is the max hp. rating for the Caribe?
I'll give you the special Trawler Forum price on the 2.5 Lehr.
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:35 PM   #48
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Larry, Do you know what is the max hp. rating for the Caribe?
I'll give you the special Trawler Forum price on the 2.5 Lehr.
It's 15 HP, but my neighbor has one with a 4 stroke 9.9 and you really gotta be careful putting on the brakes cuz she's squatted quite a bit. I think the 2 stroke 15 is nearly the same weight as the 9.9, but a 15 four-stroke....I dunno, not me. Boat weight is said to be 125 lbs., engine probably 60 or so. A four stroke would be more like 90 I think.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:36 PM   #49
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Model: 99 Nordic Tug
Speaking of tenders, I am headed to the PNW this weekend for some family business. I'll have my truck up there as well. I thought I might go dinghy shopping in Anacortes on Thursday. Any recommendations of where I might pick one up? I am looking for an inflatable center console under 500 lbs suitable to hoist on a davit system, 12 ft max. A deal on a used one would be even better.
Scott
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:21 AM   #50
Guru

Larry, 9.9 on a boat rated for a max of 15 is about 66% of max. That's good info.

The 2 cycle engines seem to use the same block for 9.9 and 15 hp. The 4 cycles use the same block for 15 and 20 hp. Your 9.9 2 cycle weighs about 30 pounds lighter than a 9.9 4 cycle. Probably wouldn't have much performance difference but the 4 cycle is more likely to hurt you when you lift it off!
Old 06-25-2014, 12:32 AM   #51
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by bligh View Post
Speaking of tenders, I am headed to the PNW this weekend for some family business. I'll have my truck up there as well. I thought I might go dinghy shopping in Anacortes on Thursday. Any recommendations of where I might pick one up? I am looking for an inflatable center console under 500 lbs suitable to hoist on a davit system, 12 ft max. A deal on a used one would be even better.
Scott
...no sales tax in Oregon!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:57 AM   #52
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by bligh View Post
Scott
Look at seattle craigslist...always a few there. You cannot go wrong with a used avon.
Hollywood
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:06 AM   #53
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
"The 15hp is now on a 11' high pressure floor Zodiac and its rated for 10hp."
Hollywood, you're a naughty boy!

What is the Avon rated for?
The avon is rated 30hp..I grew up in drag and circle boat racing...500 lb hulls with 700hp+..a 200lb+ with 40hp boat ..no problem!
Hollywood
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 03:20 AM   #54

dink power

We have a 11.5 RIB with a 25hp Mercury. 18in tubes and no seats. Seawise davit system. With the tank or person in the bow it gets on plane quickly and is very seaworthy smooth water or not. I like to be able to leave the the boat at anchor and go to some other places with a picnic lunch and explore while having the power to get there and back with out a problem with current or wind. 30+mph on good water. I have a 18# mushroom anchor that iI drop just before beaching, then go on in and unload the lunch and mate, tie off the tow line and the boat drifts back out a little and stays off the gravel. Get the biggest boat and motor that you can carry and expand your experience.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	245.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	30818   Click image for larger version

Name:	234.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	30819   Click image for larger version

Name:	330.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	30820  
The Great North West
Slowboat 37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:54 AM   #55
Guru

Quote:

So I don't really "charge" per se, I merely bring the battery in Algae up to Seaweed's level. For someone (me!) without the strength to pull a cord on an outboard, this is the answer that works. And it's not expensive.

Thanks, Janice. Interesting solution.

Apologies to OP for the short diversion.

-Chris
Old 06-25-2014, 10:25 AM   #56
Guru

City: Fort Myers
Slowboat, how do you like the swivel mount for the outboard, is that the one from Weaver?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowboat 37 View Post
We have a 11.5 RIB with a 25hp Mercury. 18in tubes and no seats. Seawise davit system. With the tank or person in the bow it gets on plane quickly and is very seaworthy smooth water or not. I like to be able to leave the the boat at anchor and go to some other places with a picnic lunch and explore while having the power to get there and back with out a problem with current or wind. 30+mph on good water. I have a 18# mushroom anchor that iI drop just before beaching, then go on in and unload the lunch and mate, tie off the tow line and the boat drifts back out a little and stays off the gravel. Get the biggest boat and motor that you can carry and expand your experience.
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:53 AM   #57
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I've got a 9.5 ft Achilles LEX-96 dink with inflatable keel and wood floor. I run at 5 mph or less with a 2 hp Honda. It easy to move around at 27 lbs, is very efficient at about an hour on a 1 qt tank and starts easily. But it's sloooowwww and being air-cooled, it's rather noisy, especially at half-throttle and more.

Here's a short video I made when trying out an over-sized engine on my dink. The dink is rated for 8 hp and this is a 15 hp Merc 2-stroke. If 8hp is good, 15hp is better, right? Well, it's squirrelly and a handful at full throttle. At half throttle, it runs just great!

(Click the photo to play the video)

I'm meeting my friend today to pick up this same motor for some summer carousing. I'm looking for a better-suited dink to mount it on. A 3.1M RIB should be just about right, but without a davit, I'm concerned that it'll be too much to handle. In the meantime, I'll run it at half-throttle on my LEX-96.

Go ahead....Nomex suit is on...flame away!

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:02 PM   #58
Guru

"Apologies to OP for the short diversion. "

Chris, the OP enjoyed the short diversion as he uses a Minnkota 30 to push his canoe and a strange little flats boat.

Ok, we now have a new data point for my survey. We know it takes 133% of max rated hp. to make Hollywood happy. That's my kind of guy!

I understand the need for speed. Following is a photo of my dinghy circa 1971.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	parkshydo.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	30831  
Old 06-25-2014, 12:06 PM   #59
Guru

Fly Wright signs in with 187% of max rated hp.! I think I see a trend here.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:30 PM   #60
Guru

Quote:
"Apologies to OP for the short diversion. "

Chris, the OP enjoyed the short diversion as he uses a Minnkota 30 to push his canoe and a strange little flats boat.
Canoe was what I was thinking about. 19' square stern; moves out right smartly with the 5-hp 2-stroke. Quieter would be better. I kinda wonder if an electric trolling motor with some kind of solar charger would work over long-ish distances... but paddling, mostly, with the motor being more like an auxiliary... or an "I'm tired, but we gotta keep moving for a while."

-Chris