Old 01-02-2018, 08:28 AM   #21
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Passed along to me by someone in the field...

" How much fuel flow is fed when a diesel is jammed up at idle (not allowed to reach idle rpm)?"

Enough to try to maintain the idle rpm setting. If the drive line is "jammed up" and not able to turn the engine will not turn fast enough to burn any additional fuel or produce enough power to accept the load. The short version is the engine will either lug along smoking like crazy at less than idle rpm and power or it will stall because it is overloaded.

And, is this different with electronic vs mechanical injection?"

Not sure but I think the electronic governor will prevent idle fuel to exceed a programmed amount and the engine would be stopped much sooner with no dramatic display of black smoke.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:30 AM   #22
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool beans View Post
uhhhh....this is cartoon physics?

Thinking about it, what mechanics in an internal combustion engine, after having stopped rotation of the crank externally, would then cause the block to start rotating around the crank shaft?

Unless I'm missing something...or excess beer
Newton's Third Law of Motion covers this -- for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Whatever torque an engine is putting into the shaft, there is corresponding torque on the engine mounts. If the shaft were stopped, the engine's torque would increase, up to its max torque at its current rpm, and that increase would be felt by the motor mounts. The thing is, the mounts must be designed to comfortably handle the max torque, so absent bad mounts, the engine shouldn't rip off the mounts.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:56 AM   #23
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Yep, if you snub out an engine and it breaks mounts loose, mounts were not spec'd or designed right.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 03:14 PM   #24
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
Sir Newton to the rescue. I was thinking about this as it relates to the Gyro that will be installed in our boat that is under construction. It is literally trying to rip a hole out off the hull due to the generated torque. The area supporting it and attachment hardware is therefore bult up to handle the expected load per Seakeeper specs. Similar principle.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 05:03 PM   #25
Guru

also passed along....

"If the shaft were stopped, the engine's torque would increase ..."

......snip.....it's a diesel, not an electric motor or reciprocating steam engine ... if the shaft were stopped it would produce zero torque.

Going back to the OP's question, if the engine was idling an reduction in idle rpm will reduce the little torque that is available. It will very rapidly reduce the torque and stall the engine.

......snip.....The shafts were pulled out because something pulled on the shaft while the boat was moving ahead, the engine mounts broke because of any number of reasons, not one of them having anything to do with the rpm of an idling engine.

Since several posters mentioned issues at higher than idle rpm, a glance at your engine's propeller curve provides the answer. If the engine is operating at or near max power it has almost certainly passed the peak torque rpm, the engine would not see any more torque than normal max torque less than max power operation. That engine operating at max power would increase torque as the "jammed up" shaft rpm dropped to the max torque level but it would probably pass through max torque to zero torque before much of anything would happen.

The torque shown in the power and prop curves is derived by "jamming up" the output in a test cell, the engine doesn't know if it is twisting against a test cell brake or a stray mooring line. If the engine could produce damaging torque at idle it would be displayed on the torque curve as a vertical line at zero rpm, it wouldn't be a curve.

As I wrote before, the torque available at idle is so little that the only sign of a problem would be sudden silence.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:18 PM   #26
Guru

City: Palm Coast, FL
Vessel Name: Coquina
Vessel Model: Lagoon 380
Hard to find torque curves below 1000 rpm for tractor motors. I've been looking. That maybe is due to the loading condition required at the test rig would not result in a running engine.

But, the line caught on the shaft would also be subject to a more interesting loading effect. That of stopping the inertia of all the moving mass. Shaft, tranny, prop, flywheel, crank, etc all in motion, at some point without the benefit of actual combustion. All on the way down to zero rpm.

That fact remains though of the torque formulas. The 3 or 4 foot wide spacing on the motor mounts will see far less force than the dock line wrapped on a 2" dia shaft, or even around the 3" diameter prop hub.
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 08:48 PM   #27
Guru

City: Trenton
I wrapped a poly tarp around my prop at about 7 kts. It stopped the engine.

The next year I had the engine pulled for other work and the yard said some of my engine mounts were broken so they replaced them all. They also found the shaft (brass) was "corkscrewed". Seemingly straight but twisted around on it's axis. Replaced it with an "aquamet" stainless shaft.

I watch where I'm going now much more carefully in the spring and after rain.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 05:34 AM   #28

City: Fayetteville, NC
Vessel Name: Dirty Deeds
Vessel Model: Maritimo 48
A dump truck is not a boat, but.....I've seen bad drivers stall engines thousands of times with no immediate adverse affect. I've also seen broken universal joints from revving the engine and trying to pull out of a hole.

This does raise an interesting point, though; on heavy trucks, I've always thought of the u-joints as the "fuse" in the driveline. What's the weak point in marine drive train?
ABfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 05:47 AM   #29
Guru

Nothing really....thats why they sell things called drivesavers.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:42 AM   #30
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABfish View Post
A dump truck is not a boat, but.....I've seen bad drivers stall engines thousands of times with no immediate adverse affect. I've also seen broken universal joints from revving the engine and trying to pull out of a hole.

This does raise an interesting point, though; on heavy trucks, I've always thought of the u-joints as the "fuse" in the driveline. What's the weak point in marine drive train?
Fortunately for us on boats, what protects the driveline from shocks is the
WATER!! Hard to break the things like on truck drivelines when your wheels are in the water. Can be done, but you really have to rodeo the controls.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:46 AM   #31
Guru

City: Palm Coast, FL
Vessel Name: Coquina
Vessel Model: Lagoon 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Nothing really....thats why they sell things called drivesavers.
I ran with drivesavers for quite a few years. Although composed of hard polyurethane, any bit of give will be welcome to the tranny gearing. Still, I had no illusions of those things disintegrating with a coral/rock hit, though. They did result in a smooth drivetrain too.
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:51 AM   #32
Guru

I believe they were designed to be sacrificial....and absob a little vibration...but not really tske a good hit and keep on going.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:29 AM   #33
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
We wrapped a line around the shaft on our sailboat that killed the engine. Shaft, mounts, strut, transmison we’re all good. The cutless bearing was toast though. It broke the nitral loose from the navel brass. A new cutless bearing and we were good to go. We probably motored for 20 hours with no issues other than low rpms we had a little vibration till we could get to a yard to haul out.
I've done the same with our Kadey Krogen. No problems whatsoever.
Other than getting the line off

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote