Old 05-04-2015, 08:53 PM   #21
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
I subscribe on occasion for the prop calculator, but rarely use. If I had a Cummins I would gladly pay and use. Not much there for my little Volvo Penta. But not a very complex engine either.

Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:24 AM   #22
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Before the change of ownership at this forum I donated more than $25 a year here to help offset JB's expenses hosting this place. $25 for known professional advice at BD is dirt cheap in my mind. I've considered subscribing there and I don't have a Diesel engine in my boat.
Thank you for your support!!!!.

Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:37 AM   #23
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
I have subscribed and am pleased with the results.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:48 AM   #24
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Some time ago I "borrowed" a friend's password to BoatDiesel and found little to nothing to justify $25/yr. in spite of the fact I have a somewhat common Lehman engine. I have learned much, much more regarding care and feeding of the beasts right here on good ol' TF. A lot of anecdotal information which I can sift through is far superior to little information from "experts".
Old 05-07-2015, 11:24 AM   #25
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I contribute over at BD. It is quite valuable when someone is having a technical problem, especially one with strange symptoms. Or trying to sort a performance issue. Or someone trying to spec a powerplant for a build. Or inspecting an engine for purchase.

If you have a reliable engine performing well, or if you are not a hands on type, it might not be the site for you.

Some questions over there are poorly asked, or have few details given, or have obvious answers- and get no response. That must frustrate the posters who just spent 25bucks. It's not a perfect site for everyone.

If you are new to your boat or want to learn, it is worth the money to join for a year and spend some winter nights going through the archives just to learn your engine. It helps you build a quality "care and feeding" list.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 11:34 AM   #26

City: Galveston, Texas
Vessel Name: Howdy
Vessel Model: 52' North Pacific
I don't think it would take very much to justify $25 when we spend most of our time speaking in "Boat Bucks".

I got way more than $25 in just general knowledge bouncing around there and I am of the age I can only remember about $0.89 worth
ktdtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 11:46 AM   #27
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktdtx View Post
I don't think it would take very much to justify $25 when we spend most of our time speaking in "Boat Bucks".

I got way more than $25 in just general knowledge bouncing around there and I am of the age I can only remember about $0.89 worth
I joined for the first time last year and have learned a lot. The interaction with BD's subscribers has been valuable and appreciated. I thought I knew enough about boats & engines until I signed up with Boat Diesel. The $25 is chicken feed compared to the other "boat bucks" I've spent with absolutely nothing gained.

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 11:50 AM   #28
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
Thank you for your support!!!!.
Gee! I guess you never got my mail, huh?

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 01:44 PM   #29
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I was on BD several years ago but on reflection rarely went there after the first month. After all w guys like David and Ski handy .......

I'll go back and sniff around .. and see what I can see. Right now my only concern is finding the coolant drain petcock. It must be under the starter. But I can call my friends at Klassen/Hatton and find out quickly.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 05:25 PM   #30
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
Gee! I guess you never got my mail, huh?

I'm sure he did Codger because it was a post by you that brought it to my attention.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 05:58 PM   #31
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
I contribute over at BD. It is quite valuable when someone is having a technical problem, especially one with strange symptoms...
We were in Panama with a generator issue. Ski sent me in the right direction as he did on a transmission issue a few years later all via BD. We'll worth the $25. Thanks Ski!
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:52 PM   #32

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Wine Down
Vessel Model: Riviera 35' FB
Another happy boatdiesel subsriber here. The $25 is absolutely nothing compared to the help, tips and other info on my tamd41a's I've received from that site.
shufti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 09:13 PM   #33
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Since I take my boat to a trusted professional engine mechanic annually, my first thought would be to ask him engine questions.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:49 PM   #34
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Mark the mechanic can tell you anything he wants.

The BD member in high standing can't put out any falsehoods as his peers will make the feathers fly .. his feathers.

However just like here BD is endless posting of opinions laced w facts. But the opinions are of a much higher caliber and laced w (usually) others so your chances of getting a "bum steer" is very unlikely.

I would consider BD information WAY higher quality than any one mechanic. A mechanic may tell you all kinds of stuff that he wouldn't if other mechanics were listening.

The information in your owners manual likely would be the product of several to many engineers. Some of your questions may be questions like how to remove a fuel injector. That would be a good question for a mechanic. Some of your questions may be questions like what are te advantages of pre-chamber injection over direct injection or what are the advantages of synthetic oil? These are questions best suited for an engineer. How much power will it take to reach hull speed and what is the usable speed range of a specific boat? These are good questions for the naval architect.

The value of answers for questions depend largely on the knowledge and experience of the person asked. For mechanical marine engine and related mechanical questions a mechanic is an excellent source. But I've seen many mechanics give out information that is more engineering than mechanics.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 12:11 AM   #35
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Haven't yet asked my mechanic any serious questions, but he says he "loves" the non-turbocharged JD 4045. I suppose it's easy to work on.