Old 09-30-2014, 12:11 PM   #21
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
You west coast guys really are not qualified to comment on east coast gennies!!! Your perfect weather has spoiled you!!!

I was thinking that when I read about using AC on anchor and living in FL came to mind. Here, all ocean anchorages are at least 10 degrees cooler than in port.

Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:06 PM   #22
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Fair assessment Ski, guilty as charged your honor

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 03:31 PM   #23
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Different situations as to the need for a genset. If you are marina hopping a genset may not be necessary. If you are anchoring out regularly then the genset becomes more desirable, especially if you are not moving far or often. We frequently anchor in the same spot for weeks and it would be difficult without a genset. Running the main engine day after day to generate electricity is not a great option (imo) it is also noisier to run the main than a genset in a sound shield. Few main engines can equal the output of a genset set up with two chargers. With that set up my genset puts out 200 amp. My main at cruise puts out 65 amps. At anchor running the main at 1650 rpms to get 65 amps would not be desirable for me.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:19 PM   #24
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
Different situations as to the need for a genset. If you are marina hopping a genset may not be necessary. If you are anchoring out regularly then the genset becomes more desirable, especially if you are not moving far or often. We frequently anchor in the same spot for weeks and it would be difficult without a genset. Running the main engine day after day to generate electricity is not a great option (imo) it is also noisier to run the main than a genset in a sound shield. Few main engines can equal the output of a genset set up with two chargers. With that set up my genset puts out 200 amp. My main at cruise puts out 65 amps. At anchor running the main at 1650 rpms to get 65 amps would not be desirable for me.
That explains why some folks need gensets and some don't. I think the larger the boat, the more one expects to have a genset.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:22 AM   #25
FF
Guru

My primary need for self generated power is for AC, which even here in Maine is useful to have to decrease dampness.

No need for air cond , what you need is a dehumidifier , if the boats natural venting can not be brought up to spec.

This will operate fine with a Honda , as required.

About 1/6 the cost of a diesel noisemaker , plus install, plus purchasing and installing an air cond setup.

With the Maine water temps , I would assume a nice wood stove would solve the problem , rather than air cond .

Living in an air cond boat means it must be closed up, canned air in Maine? UGGGH!

FF is offline   Reply With Quote