Diesel Fuel testing kits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drmnj

Any advice and recommendations on what type of Diesel Fuel Testing kits to purchase would be appreciated. I'm heading to the Turks & Caicos from Palm Beach, FL at the end of May and thought it would be a good idea to carry some of these kits with me, especially if I need to purchase fuel at some questionable remote places. I do have a fuel polishing system and also plan on carrying a supply of Standadyne Performance Formula diesel fuel additive. I thought it would be good especially to test for water. Thanks in advance for your advice. Capt Mike

Last edited:
I would find a Baja style filter to catch the debris and water, rather than test it.

The Baja filters tend to be fairly slow to fill a large tank

I have seen setups where folks use hose and clamps to install a Raycor 1000 or two on the fill nozzle to allow a faster fill, and catch much of the bad stuff.

If your tank has a bottom drain , after an overnite much of the water can be drained.

If its a real fuel tank, not just a fuel box, the sump will be a lifesaver.

Kolor Kut water testing paste for about $6.00 a tube. Rub some on a stick and test THEIR tank prior to filling, yours afterward. The paste will turn red from tan if water is present.

I'm with FF on the Baha style filter. It will filter out any water or sediments. The only problem is it's slow, less than 5 gallons/minute. The original Baha filters are discontinued. West Marine sells something similar now.

Back
Top Bottom