Old 02-01-2008, 11:08 AM   #1
Guru

Balance Hose

I have a 1" hose running from the bottom of one fuel tank to the other with a gate valve at both ends. I removed one end of the hose from the valve and nothing came out. I am thinking that the hose is solid with asphaltum. What*is the function of this hose? Is it worth replacing?*
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 11:20 AM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Balance Hose

The function of this hose is to equalize the level of fuel in both tanks. As fuel is drawn from one or both tanks and returned (depending on the engine(s) you have) to one or both tanks, an imbalance might cause your boat to list to the side that has the most fuel.
Did you open the valve slightly (with something under the valve to catch any fuel) to see if anything came out and it is not the valve that is blocked? Did you try the same with the ohter valve? With both valves closed and the hose off both valves, can you blow through the hose? IMO, you should have that hose equalizing system working and it is worth servicing all parts of the system-hoses and valves.
RT Firefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 12:15 PM   #3
Guru

Balance Hose

I will have to open the gate valves and see what happens. I could not blow through the hose.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 03:09 AM   #4
FF
Guru

Balance Hose

The engine installed MIGHT be one that does a large return to the tank , to cool & lubricate the injectors.

If a cheap tank selection valve (return not switched ) was installed the balance line will be required, to maintain vessel trim underway.

IF you can get it operating, the line , with a few fittings will work as a low point grunge drain.

Just beware of the Sheen Police, and donate the fuel to the folks wanting to burn old lube oil. It will be far less harmfull for their engines.

FF

-- Edited by FF at 05:10, 2008-02-02
FF is offline   Reply With Quote