Diesel fuel and plastic buckets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timjet

Guru
I need to do some diagnostic testing on my fuel system that requires me to bypass the fuel tanks and feed fuel to the engine from a bucket. Anybody know if the plastic in a plastic bucket will chemically react with diesel fuel?

I don't want to find out later that I damaged my fuel injectors or anything else if this is a possibility. :ermm:

Plastic jerry cans (yellow) are made for diesel maybe you can use one of them?
I believe galvanized buckets are still sold in hardware stores.
Steve W

Plastic jerry cans (yellow) are made for diesel maybe you can use one of them?

Yep, five gallon diesel jugs can he had for $14.00 or so if you shop around. One gallon jugs (red) are cheaper. The fuel doesn't care what color the jug is but if you use a red one for diesel, you might want to label it with a marker.

An actual fuel container is safer than a bucket and you can just put the cap back on when you're finished.

Greetings,
I had several red gasoline jugs left over from my gasser days. I used Krylon plastic paint to re-do them in yellow (would not notice or forget to read a label). Seems to stick really well even when a spill of diesel hits the finish on filling.
Krylon: Products: Fusion for Plastic®

Nah, just pour it back into the tank when you're finished. The plastic bucket is made from the same plastic the fuel jugs use.

Either color of petroleum rated fuel containers will work for your purpose.

But you probably shouldn't use a galvanized
container though. The galvanizing material is Zinc and it leaches into the diesel and is really hard on your injector system. (That's why our fuel tanks aren't galvanized.)
Larry B

Thanks guys. I don't know why I didn't think about it but I have a yellow diesel fuel container. It's full of old fuel, so now the problem is where to dump it. I don't think even the city dump will take fuel, oil yes but not fuel. Any suggestions, it's 5 gallons of old dirty diesel fuel.

Thanks guys. I don't know why I didn't think about it but I have a yellow diesel fuel container. It's full of old fuel, so now the problem is where to dump it. I don't think even the city dump will take fuel, oil yes but not fuel. Any suggestions, it's 5 gallons of old dirty diesel fuel.

----------------------------------------------------
Doesn't your marina have an oil recycling station or a county/city recycling facility?? They will generally take any oil product, as long as it's not heavily contaminated with water or antifreeze.
LB

Why is the fuel d a.d dirty? The fuel came from you engine/tanks and into anew plastic container. I would filter it back into the fuel tank.

You can dump diesel in with waste oil. Not supposed to do that with gasoline, but it's happened.

Why is the fuel d a.d dirty? The fuel came from you engine/tanks and into anew plastic container. I would filter it back into the fuel tank.

Don't think it's worth taking the risk just to save 3-4 gallons.

Our local Walmart has a recycling tank by the auto shop, I have never put diesel in it but maybe they will let you do so.
Steve W

My (auto) service station will take any type of oil for free as they burn it in their heating system. Anything from old diesel to gear oil.

Rob

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom