Diesel Fuel Flow Monitoring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In the meantime (a digression, not meant to hijack...), I've gained almost a knot at various RPMs simply by changing to (accurate) digital tachs.

The previous analog tachs were "on" at about 2000 RPMs, but not so much apparently at idle, low speeds, high cruise, and near WOT. Nor was there a way to adjust them so they'd be accurate across the full range.

So now I see that what I thought was 6 knots at 800 RPMs is actually 6 knots at 725 RPMs. And what I thought was 20 knots at 2300 RPMs is really 20 knots at 2175 RPMs.

I haven't had time to fully capture and chart the new figures, but in the past I spreadsheeted two-way calm-water speed readings at various RPMs, trimmed each run to the highest speed possible at those given RPMs, and then used the engines' nominal burn rates (from published data) to calculate nominal NMPGs.

Maybe the digital tachs have already saved me enough money to afford proper flow meters. :)

Or maybe the nominal numbers are close enough so I don't have to prioritize how to run more wires from engine room to flying bridge. :)

-Chris

Last edited:
Good idea!

But...

...caveat emptor, the e-bay link looks like a Chinese knock-off of a Japanese flowmeter.

I think it is Japanese as the item sent is an Aichi unit, "Made in Japan". Photo of ebay unit is attached as was mailed to me.

The OF05ZAT unit has a rating of 10GPH, however WOT on my boat is 18.1GPH each engine. So at WOT I may get a pressure drop across the sensor. I will therefore measure the pressure drop at WOT and report back. However I think it will be OK as the ID of the sensor ports are 1/2" which is more than my main fuel hose and so the I think the 10GPH is a nominal rating only.

I will also buy 4 units as I have two engines, but wanted to check operation with just two sensors on one engine first.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 1,647
Last edited:
Well, you will find out when you get them, the worst that can happen is you are out 50 bucks.

Is there software in your system that can translate the pulses into gallons and do the various other pieces of math?

Here is a turn in the road question for the OP, do you have good tank level measurement so you can insure the flow meters are accurate - or better asked - so you can know how far off they are? More important than knowing estimated fuel flow is knowing actual fuel consumption. Then your estimating sensors can be better calibrated.

Even the best of industrial flow meters have a calibrating schedule and procedure which is normally based upon a known volume drawdown rate.

I will decant 1 gallon of diesel and place the Racor inlet in the bucket, then measure the consumption on the sensor. That will be a good start. Longer term I will measure consumption between fills and chart. I have good sounding sticks so should get the K factor pretty close. However the Aichi does have a published K factor and from experience, these are normally pretty close.

Well, you will find out when you get them, the worst that can happen is you are out 50 bucks.

Is there software in your system that can translate the pulses into gallons and do the various other pieces of math?

The Seaguage remote is from Chetco

SeaGaugeâ„¢ STANDARD 16 Function Sensor Interface Unit

Seaguage has software to program called VDash. The VDash software allows pulse inputs to be calibrated to whatever K factor is required. The software will also subtract the two sensor pulse inputs. So the return line flow sensor can be subtracted from main input flow sensor. The differential flow rate is then sent to the NMEA2000 backbone to all instruments as GPH for that engine. Seaguage will also keep a running total in its flash memory and this is sent to NMEA2000 as well.

I believe the Actisense EMU1 and also Noland RS11 will do the same thing, but not sure.

I would think the worst that could happen is the plastic case or guts dissolve in diesel , and get to your injectors dissolved and plug them with the combustion heat

Really? Completely dissolve and able to get right past the primary and secondary fuel filters? Wow. I suppose if one were that paranoid (and why not be, given it is coming from China), one would throw it in a jar of diesel first and see.

At some point you may be spending more money to save fuel than what you save.

Hello,

I found this forum by googling "OF05ZAT" since I am using this sensor for a DIY Bluetooth Flowscan (malebuffy.blogspot.com)

Although this thread is quite old, I am posting to warn you about this e-bay Chinese knock off. I contacted Aichi and they sold me that this is a fake sensor. I had weeks of headaches as to why it wasn't working for me. This fake sensor produces 180 Pulses per Liter (I am in Europe) instead of the 2174 in the Datasheet.

A new Aichi Flow sensor costs about 360$ US and not 20-30$ US.

However, I have purchased (from an American ebay seller) 7 used Original OF05ZAT sensors, I think they are 29$ each. They work and produce 2174 Pulses per Liter.

Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom