Old 04-06-2014, 03:27 PM   #21
Guru

City: Port Vila
Once again, snake oil.

Soltron enzymes when added to fuel make wide range of molecular transformations to solve many perennial problems associated with fossil fuel combustion. Like striping a log into sticks for easy firing, enzymes break heavy hydrocarbon molecules and molecular formations into more combustible forms. This makes fuel combustion in engines more fuller and faster generating extra smooth power with a least damage to engines as well as for the environment. The heights of combustion thus Soltron can reach with enzyme catalysis is unmatched and unprecedented in the history of fuel treatment

Nightcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:39 PM   #22
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcap View Post
Once again, snake oil.

Soltron enzymes when added to fuel make wide range of molecular transformations to solve many perennial problems associated with fossil fuel combustion. Like striping a log into sticks for easy firing, enzymes break heavy hydrocarbon molecules and molecular formations into more combustible forms. This makes fuel combustion in engines more fuller and faster generating extra smooth power with a least damage to engines as well as for the environment. The heights of combustion thus Soltron can reach with enzyme catalysis is unmatched and unprecedented in the history of fuel treatment

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:42 PM   #23
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
My experience with Soltron:

Purchased twin screw gas powered boat with extremely gunked up, considerable water at bottom of tanks, and dirty brown colored fuel; in easily accessible spin on filters (same size/look as big oil filter) for each 100 gal tank. Drained filters into clear glass jar during 3 consecutive filter checks... each at approx 15 hour use intervals. Installed new filters each time. Gas in glass jar looked just as brown colored dirty with water at bottom of jar each of the 3 times. I then began putting very heavy doses of Soltron (1 ounce per 10 gal gas) into each tank that was carrying less than 1/2 capacity. Continued per 15 hour use with fuel filter content check and filter replacement schedule. Within 2 more filter replacements I noticed a big difference in gas inside glass jar. Within 4 filter replacements the gas had gone clear and no water in bottom. Continuing to check in same schedule and manner it became clear that the gasoline in both tanks had become clear of color, I no longer saw debris crap floating in gas and there was no longer any water. Now I check filters in 50 hr schedules and after peering at gasoline in my glass jar I pour the completely clear gas back into filter and reinstall it. Every second check (100 hrs use time) I install new filter – not because filter is full of crap (it’s still clean) but rather because I don’t trust rubber seal for more than two compressions during tightening onto base.

We all have our different reasons for doing different things. I tend to rely on practicable tested knowledge, i.e. especially my own experiences – not manufacturer stats, or no stats, or others telling me that just ain't possible! BTW: Since my gas cleared I use Soltron at about 2X recommended amounts. Cost is minimal for the clean gasoline I constantly have in my boat... even after some long durations of no run. For years I’ve had no problems with my boat’s gas – NONE!

This year will be a good check up on my gasoline’s condition. Our 90 yr Matriarch has needed close care and we have spent little time aboard. Last visit was end January, next planned for end April - we hope??? On Jan visit I did gas filter check and replace. Gasoline was completely clear with no water!

I understand from others that Soltron works as well in diesel fuel.

Different strokes for different folks... For me, Soltron has before and continues to work wonders!

Duration of my own first hand experience with any item is the only proof about any item I can fully rely upon! For those who have not experienced an item to proclame said item is no good... well... that ain't too bright - now is it?!?!

Happy Fuel Maintenance Daze! - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:49 PM   #24
Guru

Adding methanol to Diesel.....reference page 95

http://ec.europa.eu/energy/renewable...dard/lot3b.pdf

Conclusions
Modern engine technology sets tight requirements for cleanliness and general performance of
motor fuels. Today, the quality of diesel fuel is very high in Europe, and the requirements are
getting even tighter. Adding ethanol into diesel worsen major part of the fuel properties. Additives
are needed firstly to keep diesel/ethanol as a blend, and secondly to bring critical fuel properties
like cetane number and lubricity even to minimum acceptance level. However, the major problem
of diesel/ethanol blends is safety risk due to flash point and flammability limits. The increased risk
to engines, vehicles and fuel distribution facilities remain, with safety concerns for fuel handling,
storage and use, despite of any possible preventive actions taken with diesel/ethanol blends.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:53 PM   #25
Guru

One guy uses an additive and swears by it because his engine purrrrrs like a kitten forever...

Another guy never uses an additive and swears by it because HIS engine TOO purrrrs like a kitty forever.....

There are reasons to use an additive...like lubricity, anti-gelling, etc...etc....for any of those reasons...yep ...probably should use one....

To make my engine work better, last longer, sound smoother, etc.....have ever seen enough independent studies that actually confirm any of the "feel good" reasons to use an additive..
Old 04-06-2014, 06:13 PM   #26
Art
Guru

All I can report are my experiences with Soltron after six years of use. It quickly cleaned the gasoline in my boat's tanks and is keeping it that way. I'm very pleased with my results from using Soltron! I don't plan to stop using it or to switch to another fuel stabilizer.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:28 PM   #27
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
Plain old gasoline is as good as any diesel fuel additive. E85 gas has enough alcohol in it to take care of most condensation problems. About a gallon in 100 gallons of diesel is a good start, you wont even notice the difference. From experience, 10% is a little to much gasoline, but still works and will seriously clean your entire fuel system including injectors. Snake oil is good to, just WAY more expensive and not any better. Please, unless you have actuall evidence, personally, that gasoline in small amounts will harm a diesel engine, then dont even go there. Bus companies have done it for years. The military multi fuel engine used in lots of trucks was just a Continental Diesel (White Co.) that could run on any petroleum fuel. The instructions on the fuel tank said when using gasoline mix an appropriate amount of any type of oil or diesel/kerosine.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:42 PM   #28
Guru

City: Port Vila
Hadn't thought of using gas. The gas where I live doesn't contain ethanol but I might do a test on some non critical machinery and see what happens. Ethanol can be hard to get here.
Nightcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:07 PM   #29
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Don't add gasoline to diesel fuel. The vapor pressure of the gas remains as it would at 100% and thus the fumes are just as explosive. You just negated the safety benefits of diesel power. Not a good idea on a boat.

Regarding ethanol: It will tend to emulsify the water into solution, and then engine will burn the mix. Probably little harm in that to the engine. The problem is you do not know the amount of water in the tank, and a large amount of emulisified mix tends to wet the secondary filter element, and most are designed as "water block". Once saturated, fuel flow stops and so does the engine.

One customer added ethanol and after clogging filters hired me to drain the tanks. I got like 600gal of diesel and after six months in my shop tank, the water finally separated and I got to burn the fuel!!!

Best thing is to do a low point drain on your tanks. Solves all the problems.

Regarding Soltron or whatever additives, unless an independent lab does thorough tests, it is in the "reptilian lipid derivitave compound" category. Results are testable. No independent lab reports, not credible.

To Art, you could have gotten the same results by filter changes: Filters catch crud, and with enough fuel use and filter changes, that cleans your fuel. May have nothing to do with what additive was used. Adding something does not remove gunk. Removing gunk removes gunk.
Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:27 PM   #30
Guru

Usually the number one issue with diesel that people seem to agree upon is lubricity...most people add something to improve that...gasoline and alcohol definitely DON'T...so once you add either one of those...better think about lubricity.

Granted...you could probably add ANYTHING for one tankfull and get away with it...but the more I hear people say they are adding stuff to diesel...the more I know the less they know.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:38 PM   #31
Art
Guru

[QUOTE=Ski in NC;225301

To Art, you could have gotten the same results by filter changes: Filters catch crud, and with enough fuel use and filter changes, that cleans your fuel. May have nothing to do with what additive was used. Adding something does not remove gunk. Removing gunk removes gunk.

[/QUOTE]

OK Ski - You must be smarter than me regarding what happens having long term use experience with Soltron... Or Not!

Me, being a person who has six years of successful firsthand experience with what a product can do, Soltron in this case, as compared to you who has "0" experience with same product... far be it up to me to ever question your learned knowledge about the product!

Please teach me/us more about everything you know for sure about Soltron inability to work... after your zero (0) experience, that is... compared to my six (6) years of experience with it working well!

I'm always anxious to learn from others about a product who have no track record of using the product!

Happy Boating Daze! - Art
Old 04-06-2014, 10:24 PM   #32
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Art- If I read your post right, you had water in the gasoline noticed in three filter changes. Then you added the additive and subsequent filter changes you noticed no water.

So could it be that the filters actually caught the water, and no water remained available in the tanks to be grabbed by the pickups?

I'm not sure the lack of water in the filters can be attributed to the additive. Changing and draining filters is a known proven method to eliminating water.

Also, if you are using gasoline with ethanol from the pump, that is an emulsifier and will tend to suspend water.

Nothing you posted proves the additive solved your problem. Just changing filters and using the fuel will give you the results you described.

Also, to minimize confusion, chemistry for gasoline and diesel fuel are different and an additive for one may not be appropriate for the other. I think an emulsifier is more appropriate for gasoline than diesel.

Most readers here run diesel, and an emulsifier is not a good idea.
Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:39 PM   #33
Guru

I agree that lubricity is a concern and alcohol or gasoline certainly wont help it any. However, on a short term or occasionall application it will help more than harm. I burn mostly used engine oil so lubricity is not a concern. Getting your engine "slugged" by a big dose of H2O will cause way more problems than a slight decrease in the lube quality of your fuel. The biggest problem with gasoline is that it has detonation inhibitors that will slow the combustion process if used in higher percentages, like over 5%. And no, 1 gallon of gasoline in 100 gallons of diesel will not change the volatility of the diesel enough to measure. Certainly not to the point of being dangerous. But if you have concerns about it dont do it, buy snake oil. Or, you could add a gallon of E85 gas ,and, a gallon of cheap hydraulic oil. Surely someone has first hand knowledge of that.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:43 PM   #34
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Art- If I read your post right, you had water in the gasoline noticed in three filter changes. Then you added the additive and subsequent filter changes you noticed no water.

So could it be that the filters actually caught the water, and no water remained available in the tanks to be grabbed by the pickups?

I'm not sure the lack of water in the filters can be attributed to the additive. Changing and draining filters is a known proven method to eliminating water.

Also, if you are using gasoline with ethanol from the pump, that is an emulsifier and will tend to suspend water.

Nothing you posted proves the additive solved your problem. Just changing filters and using the fuel will give you the results you described.

Also, to minimize confusion, chemistry for gasoline and diesel fuel are different and an additive for one may not be appropriate for the other. I think an emulsifier is more appropriate for gasoline than diesel.

Most readers here run diesel, and an emulsifier is not a good idea.
Only from persons who have considerable long term experience from using a product will I listen closely. Otherwise... Not!

My six years of use and consistant ongoing successful experience with Soltron speaks for itself... at least in gasoline that is. I've only heard from a couple diesel owners of their success regarding Soltron; they seemd quite pleased.

You can use it... or don't NC - Makes no diff to me! I'll stay quite pleased with my using Soltron.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:26 AM   #35

City: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
My six years of use and consistant ongoing successful experience with Soltron speaks for itself... at least in gasoline that is. I've only heard from a couple diesel owners of their success regarding Soltron; they seemd quite pleased.
According Soltron directions, one 16oz bottle can treat up to 500 gallons of diesel fuel.

According to the Soltron MSDS sheet, 99.5% is made up of aliphatic petroleum distillates, CAS# 64742-47-8.

Common synonyms for CAS# 64742-47-8 are mineral spirits and stoddard solvent.

The other 0.5% is made up of "proprietary organic compounds".

In adding one 16oz bottle of Soltron to 500 gallons of diesel fuel, one is adding 8/100(0.08) of an ounce of Soltron "proprietary organic compounds"; the remainder being mineral spirits.

One can buy a gallon of mineral spirits for $10, or a gallon of Soltron for $175.

Converting ounces to mls and mls to drops, there is approximately forty-six drops of Soltron's "proprietary organic compounds" in one 16oz bottle.

Subtracting 10 from 175 we arrive at $165. Therefore, Soltron is charging approximately $.45 per drop of their "proprietary organic compound".

Edited for math.
Grey Area is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:07 AM   #36
FF
Guru

>Once again, snake oil.

Soltron enzymes when added to fuel<

BET you didnt like Slick 50 either!!

I am sold on Stanadine , as a problem solver.

It will clean injectors , so trouble shooting is easier.

If it doesnt run better in 30 min , its time to get the injectors to the doctor.

For fuel with water

>Best thing is to do a low point drain on your tanks. Solves all the problems<.

Ski got it right.
FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:38 AM   #37
Guru

One of the first things a diesel mechanic learns is that when changing fuel filters on a diesel engine, fill the new filter with hydraulic oil or trans fluid. Any light oil will work. It lubes the pump and cleans injectors. An old way of cleaning injectors was to run the engine on a 5 gallon gas can, with the return going back to the can also. Run a mix of 3 gallons of light oil and 1 gallon of naptha or acetone until gone. A lot of mechs do the same but use SeaFoam instead of acetone or naptha. As with most things, unless you've been "in the business" there's probably a hell of a lot you dont know. I was a heavy engine Mech for 30 years in the oil production industry. I can fix them and keep them running. I did not work in sales, therefor I could not sell you an engine to save my life. But I "think" I could.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:16 AM   #38
Guru

Maybe that's the way they do it where you come from but not where I'm from or anywhere along the Atlantic Seaboard that I've had engine work done to yachts.

Guess it show us why you can do almost anything to some diesels or gas engines and you almost can't kill them...especially once or twice a year....but I'll bet many additives and "home remedies" would be frowned upon by manufacturers.

Not that I'm a big "always by the book guy" as there are better ideas out there and a few are eventually adopted industry wide...but MOST aren't.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:02 AM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Maybe that's the way they do it where you come from but not where I'm from or anywhere along the Atlantic Seaboard that I've had engine work done to yachts.

Guess it show us why you can do almost anything to some diesels or gas engines and you almost can't kill them...especially once or twice a year....but I'll bet many additives and "home remedies" would be frowned upon by manufacturers.

Not that I'm a big "always by the book guy" as there are better ideas out there and a few are eventually adopted industry wide...but MOST aren't.
Totally agree!
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:31 AM   #40
Guru

And just how many years of ACTUALL hands on everyday, greasy to you neck, gotta make it work now and keep working all week experience do you have ? Like I said, I did not work in sales but I "think" I can sell you something. Even though I know very little about sales compared to a guy that did it for 30 years.