Old 08-10-2014, 06:50 PM   #21
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
Being the boat is on the hard ... It would be difficult to start the engine and give it a good test to see if any internal parts are effective....I will hopefully talk with the broker and hope that he has had a chance to speak with the owner for some feedback on the engine and the goop ... I will keep you all informed of what is said and if I go further...
Kevin g
Sure you can't test it under anything but minor load but running it and getting it warm probably can be done pretty easily.

But in reality....a good mech can pull the head and boro the cylinders and a good oil analysis can tell you something...as long as they know the sample history. I'm sure really good mechs know a lot of tricks...American Diesel may be able to point out some things to check too.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:56 PM   #22
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
You might discuss replacing those hose clamps with stainless while you are at it. Looks like one is about to go.

ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:55 PM   #23
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Those hose clamps most likely are SS. There are just painted red and perhaps the cheap kind. But time to replace for sure.

Find out what fluid the JB Weld is supposed to be keeping from leaking out from between the head and block. Is it oil, water or both? Also find out if they ever tried re-torquing the head. If it's just a leaky head gasket it's not a big deal to fix. But factor in the cost of a complete job. As in resurfacing the head, valve job, checking the cylinder deck, new or rebuilt injectors, etc.

Lehman's are pretty bulletproof. It's not easy to total F them up to the point you need a total rebuild.

What condition is the rest of the engine space and boat in?
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:54 AM   #24

City: Oriental
Vessel Name: Meridian
Vessel Model: Albin 36 Trawler
I did find out some info ...as per the owner " several years ago I had the valves ground and the head machined. After doing that there was oil that leaked around the head and the mechanic put the white stuff(which I assume is some sort of cement) to stop the leak,which I thought worked". " I think the engine leaks a small amount of oil from the rear seal "
We'll there is oil mixed with water in the bilge where when I put my finger in it came out with a healthly amount of oil on my finger ... I have been it touch with my diesel mechanic and sent him pics and going to get his thoughts ...The boat is listed for 79,000 for a 1980 cheer man trawler ...any thoughts on asking price ???
KEVMAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:38 AM   #25
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. K. Mr. m is correct. Head gasket NOT oil pan gasket as I thought on my first post. As mentioned, whole different kettle of fish/can of worms. Could be big $$ as suggested. Offer in the neighborhood of $35K to $40K unless the owner addresses the engine goop.
There is some evidence of window/port leakage which is not uncommon in Taiwanese boats so that issue should be checked out as well as the "usual" suspects (fuel tanks etc.). Seems to be a nicely maintained vessel OR just well cleaned up. SURVEY! Oh, and find another mechanic other than the one who tried to "patch" the leak.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:36 AM   #26
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Does the vessel have any redeeming features? Assume the vessel needs a repower/rebuild at $10 to 20K and a full season lost. Go for it if you like hassles and frustration or just keep looking at the hundreds of well tended vessels.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:38 AM   #27
Veteran Member

City: Baltimore Md
Vessel Name: Graceful
Vessel Model: Marine Trader
Kevmar, Glad you found this boat first. Had it on my short list but just crossed it off. Good luck with the engine survey, I'll just keep looking. Keep us posted.
gonesailing13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:16 PM   #28
Veteran Member

City: Baltimore Md
Vessel Name: Graceful
Vessel Model: Marine Trader
BTW, I spoke to the selling broker about 2-3 weeks ago and asked about the hours on the engine and was told that engine hours were unknown. A few days later got an e-mail stating engine hours were 5500. Might want to consider that.
gonesailing13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:28 PM   #29
Guru

City: gulf coast
IMO you need some expert local opinion and a survey before making any offer that you will regret. You don't seem very familiar with boat stuff and will run into a buzz saw if not careful.
You were smart to come here now be smart and find another boat
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:47 PM   #30
Guru

City: Fort Myers
I don't have the warmest feeling on this one. Don't know too many people would pay for a valve job/labor and then accept that mess of a "repair". And it doesn't stop there, who knows how many systems are in disrepair. Think the boating version of the movie money pit.
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:13 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinmike View Post
I don't have the warmest feeling on this one. Don't know too many people would pay for a valve job/labor and then accept that mess of a "repair". And it doesn't stop there, who knows how many systems are in disrepair. Think the boating version of the movie money pit.
I agree. I would love to hear from the mechanic who supposedly did this job. I can't imagine any reputable mechanic would try and fix a leaky head like this other than in some kind of temporary emergency situation. Especially if he had just done a head/gasket job on that engine. Nor can I imagine an owner paying for such shoddy job.

I smell the owners hand in this.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:16 PM   #32
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Re-power for 20-30 thousand. Factor that in or walk away.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:21 PM   #33
Guru

It's a single screw boat I believe. So you should be able to rebuild that Lehman for well under $10,000.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:52 PM   #34
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
I love an old diesel engine, but get real nervous once they have been opened up by someone incompetent. 5500 hours is no problem on a Lehman, but it's already needed a valve job (presumably). A lot of great suggestions on this thread, but I would still be concerned about a cracked cylinder head or a deformity on the block deck as was mentioned earlier. I'm in the "suggest you move on" camp for this one !

Present 42 Sundeck
Old 08-12-2014, 10:38 PM   #35
Guru

City: Little River SC
Vessel Name: JAZ
Vessel Model: Ta Chaio/CT35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
It's a single screw boat I believe. So you should be able to rebuild that Lehman for well under $10,000.
windmill29130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:41 AM   #36

Thank you all for your input .... I am running as fast as I can from this boat ... As someone said there are hundreds of other better maintain out there .. And for. A 1980 to be asking $79,000 it's a bit high ....to many red flags on this one ... Just don't understand why someone would not be upfront and tell it like it is .... So my search continues. ... I did have at one time a few years ago a chin haw 34 wish I could get that one back !!!
Old 08-13-2014, 09:52 AM   #37
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Which is exactly what the owner did!
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:55 AM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Which is exactly what the owner did!

Based on those pictures it's pretty hard to tell what was really done. But it sure doesn't look like any kind of proper rebuild to me.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:58 AM   #39

If the owner did rebuild the engine as you say the owner did .... it was not done correctly... as there is a lot of oil in the bildge and the goop would not have been used...