Old 10-31-2011, 08:58 AM   #22
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
RE: Diesel Engine Comparison Question

Quote:
Fighterpilot wrote:
Did I miss the part about cost to buy and cost to get home comparison? If they are the same or close when you run the total than it is back to engine choice again.
*Howdy Fighterpilot - Cost is similar re buy and get home.*

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:35 PM   #23
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40

Cat 3208s up to the 375hp turbos were fine..thousands of trawlers and sportfish had them....even the 3208s above that were fine if you weren't trying to push too big of a load. The 3208 was one of CATs success stories until the last couple of years when they pushed them wayyyy past their original design specs. As for no sleeves...big deal...they were cheap and supposed to be throw aways after 10,000 hours...when was the last time you saw ANY recreational boat with 10,000 hours on the engines??? Even then...big deal...rebore and bigger rings. You can get a 3208 repower job for less than a gas boat needing big blocks these days (as long as your 3208 core is good)
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:58 PM   #24
Art
Guru

Quote:
psneeld wrote:
Cat 3208s up to the 375hp turbos were fine..thousands of trawlers and sportfish had them....even the 3208s above that were fine if you weren't trying to push too big of a load. The 3208 was one of CATs success stories until the last couple of years when they pushed them wayyyy past their original design specs. As for no sleeves...big deal...they were cheap and supposed to be throw aways after 10,000 hours...when was the last time you saw ANY recreational boat with 10,000 hours on the engines??? Even then...big deal...rebore and bigger rings. You can get a 3208 repower job for less than a gas boat needing big blocks these days (as long as your 3208 core is good)
Thanks, Scott - good input.* So far most I've heard from or spoken to*have been pretty leery on the older*3208 Cats.** These*Cats I refer to are 1976, 270 HP; I am quite sure NA.**One needed a major at 2500 hrs, currently has 1000 hrs.* The other has 3500 hrs with no rebuild.**I hope to see the boat with Cats soon. - Ciao, Art
Old 10-31-2011, 07:36 PM   #25
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40

I haven't heard or read anything about older lower hp CATS...the only problems I had heard about was in the late 90s when Grand Banks was trying to push their bigger trawlers with something like 475hp 3208s at speeds up around 18-20 knots (not positive on exact hp or kts...but close) The 3208s had a long and fine run from everyone I know...even on the land side as many were in busses and trucks. Like a lot of marine engines..they had periods where the bolt ons were problems...like aftercoolers on some of their early 2000's 3196s I believe...but the 3208s had a better rep (at least in my circles) than most marine engine runs for the last 30 years. If push came to shove and my Lehman broke and I got a good deal on a 3208NA...I'd put it in my boat in a heartbeat. Yes there are better motors out there...but I wouldn't turn one down at the right price.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:02 PM   #26
Guru

City: Cowichan Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Gray Hawk
Vessel Model: Defever 43 Offshore Cruiser

When we were shopping I stopped looking anytime I read "3208".* They weren't a great engine on land - I have trouble believing they were any better on the water.* Maybe the NA versions were OK but there's another problem with older Cats.* Caterpillar is really proud of that yellow paint.* I'd far rather buy parts for my Lehmans or even for Detroits.* And Lord help you if you need to pay for a genuine Cat mechanic.* I might have considered a 3406 single if we'd run into one of them because the mechanical 3406s were a great engine but I'd still have faced the problem of expensive parts.* Particularly right now there's so many good boats out there I'd just keep it simple by ruling out Cat power.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:27 PM   #27
Art
Guru

Quote:
bobofthenorth wrote:
When we were shopping I stopped looking anytime I read "3208".* They weren't a great engine on land - I have trouble believing they were any better on the water.* Maybe the NA versions were OK but there's another problem with older Cats.* Caterpillar is really proud of that yellow paint.* I'd far rather buy parts for my Lehmans or even for Detroits.* And Lord help you if you need to pay for a genuine Cat mechanic.* I might have considered a 3406 single if we'd run into one of them because the mechanical 3406s were a great engine but I'd still have faced the problem of expensive parts.* Particularly right now there's so many good boats out there I'd just keep it simple by ruling out Cat power.
*Hello Bob - TY for your opinion... Cats surely have lovers and haters!* You know anything about 1999 John Deer 400 turbo with about*750 hrs?
Old 11-01-2011, 07:30 AM   #28
Guru

City: Cowichan Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Gray Hawk
Vessel Model: Defever 43 Offshore Cruiser

Quote:
Art wrote:
Hello Bob - TY for your opinion... Cats surely have lovers and haters!* You know anything about 1999 John Deer 400 turbo with about*750 hrs?
*Sorry I don't.* In the ag world Deere has had some real winners and some genuine dogs so I would never*generalize about them.* In principal I'm opposed to turbos on go-slow boats but I realize that makes me a dinosaur.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:47 AM   #29
Art
Guru

Quote:
bobofthenorth wrote:Art wrote:
Hello Bob - TY for your opinion... Cats surely have lovers and haters!* You know anything about 1999 John Deer 400 turbo with about*750 hrs?
*Sorry I don't.* In the ag world Deere has had some real winners and some genuine dogs so I would never*generalize about them.* In principal I'm opposed to turbos on go-slow boats but I realize that makes me a dinosaur.

Bob Dino to Dino; err maybe... Dyno to Dyno! LOL...

I understand what you mean in being basically anti turbo, especially for trawler D hulls.* That said, the hull is SD and actually leans toward P hull design.* We currently have craft with full P hull and 21 + knt WOT capability; 16 knt cruise at 1 nmpg.* I generally cruise at 7 knts (just below mathematical hull speed of 7.58 knts) which provides 2.5 +/-*nmpg.* Im not so much looking to keep any boat at high speed but rather most important to me is engine reliability and its ability to run at lower rpm for extended periods of economical cruising.* I also dont mind ever so many hours to open up the engines rpm for increased engine temps and internal clean out.* Again, engine reliability is my primary goal!

Ciao, Art
Old 11-01-2011, 09:23 AM   #30
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Art,

Since you run at 7 knots it would seem looking at 7 knot boats would meet your needs much better. Just say'in.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:07 AM   #31
Art
Guru

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:
Art,

Since you run at 7 knots it would seem looking at 7 knot boats would meet your needs much better. Just say'in.
Howdy Eric

My 7 knt (0.58 knt below mathematical hull speed) cruise is for enjoyable, calm, quiet, easy, no rush slippen-through-da-water; which we do to attain 2.5 +/- nmpg fuel economy... and cause wifey likes it me too!... But! *I enjoy being able to do 16 + knts at 1 nmpg when I'm on a destination deadline and also be able to go even faster if needed to get my craft out of harms way.* Having spent my early decades in New England cruising the Atlantic and inland waters in*D, SD, and P hulls (23 to 65 all of them wood boats) I found that each hull design has plusses and minuses, and that I enjoy them all.* That said; Ive found that SD leaning to P hull design, or even full on P hulls (as long as they have the correct V entry and deadrise angle) are my favorites; due to their speed capabilities when required or desired.* And, although not quite as economical in below hull speed nmpg as full D hulls both the SD and P hulls are pretty darn economical when cruising below hull speed.* That wouldnt make me not own a great shaped D hull if I really liked the boat, however, it does make me lean toward looking at SD and P hulls.*

Each to their own!

Cheers! Art* **

Old 11-01-2011, 11:07 AM   #32
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Indeed but you enter the realm of the motorsailer world. The price must be payed to have one vessel that performs the duties of two. I'd like to go faster too. I'd like to go 12 or 14 knots but I have great distances to travel and limited funds. I threw out the 7 knot boat out as an idea *..not a directive. And I do'nt think anyone here should feel the need to justify the speed or type of boat they have as these are yachts or toys and after we can afford it the bottom line is WHAT WE WANT. And to experience the wants of others here on the forum is most always a joy. Please continue to share.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:21 PM   #33
Art
Guru

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:
indeed but you enter the realm of the motorsailer world. The price must be payed to have one vessel that performs the duties of two. I'd like to go faster too. I'd like to go 12 or 14 knots but i have great distances to travel and limited funds. I threw out the 7 knot boat out as an idea *..not a directive. And i do'nt think anyone here should feel the need to justify the speed or type of boat they have as these are yachts or toys and after we can afford it the bottom line is what we want. And to experience the wants of others here on the forum is most always a joy. Please continue to share.
*ditto