Did I Wait Too Long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
dhays. i personally have changed racors that were setting for 4 to 5 years. they showed no signs of deterioration from being in fuel. the only thing i think could do damage over time is uv. we all know what it does to just about everything made of plastic.

I think dhays may be speaking of the hydrophobic resin breaking down over time and losing its water ingress prevention. Racor does recommend changing filters for this reason. I forget the periodicity though.

I think dhays may be speaking of the hydrophobic resin breaking down over time and losing its water ingress prevention. Racor does recommend changing filters for this reason. I forget the periodicity though.

That is it exactly. Howver, it seems that folks with a lot more experience than I haven't noticed problems with filter age.

i looked and was unable to find any specific change interval for those water blocking filters. but i can say there are a lot of engines running without those special coated filters. in reality if you had water sensors you would know well before it could get high enough to reach the filter element.

I find that after a couple of years the little seal lip that grips the center post relaxes, then crud can bypass the whole element. I you change the filter and it comes right up without needing a tug, you have gone too long.

I would not go smaller until the filters come out cleaner. But change much more often. When they come out almost clean go to 10 microns change soon and observe how they look and if fairly clean extent the change time until normal.

30 micron is probably fine. I use 10. I did use 2 micron for a time but concluded from something I read (probably on TF) that 2 micron is excessivly fine mesh.

You may consider a fuel polish. Something I know little about though.

Are you using biobor or another alge reducing additive? Looks like the dark colored filter may be full of organic material.

Back
Top Bottom