Detroit Diesel 8v92. Getting to the impeller.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnEasley

Guru
Commercial Member
Vessel Name
Wanderlust
Vessel Make
1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
Good Morning All,

Yesterday, we toured a Viking equipped with 8v92 Detroit Diesels. Man, that's a big engine!

I located the impeller cover on the raw water pump. There were only a couple of inches clearance between the cover plate and a large, round piece of the exhaust connected to the turbo. Getting a box end wrench in there to get the bolts out looked doable but there didn't appear to be near enough room to get a standard puller on the impeller to extract it. Is there a special trick to removing them or some sort of special, low profile puller?

Any tips, tricks, or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks.

John

I had a pair of 8v92tts on my Hatteras. Great engines. In our case there was a whole bunch of room around the pump, no restrictions. I'd ask the owners or their mechanics how they do it on that particular boat. Perhaps they have an impeller puller that fits. I recall the impeller being about 3 or so inches deep.

8V92TA with single turbo does have an exhaust crossover pipe right behind the pump. Nothing similar behind the pump of 8V92TI with two turbos. Yes it is a challenge getting impeller out. I think there is clearance for the impeller to come out, but not for much of a puller. Last time I did one I think I soaped up impeller and got it with screwdrivers and channel locks. Unfun indeed.

Fortunately, the Jabsco pumps for some reason the impellers are very long lasting. I've changed a couple that were many years old with many hours and the impellers were still in good shape.

Worst case is to pull the whole pump. That is unfun too, though.

8V92TA with single turbo does have an exhaust crossover pipe right behind the pump. ... Last time I did one I think I soaped up impeller and got it with screwdrivers and channel locks. Unfun indeed.

Yep, must be a TA version. Thanks.

Fortunately, the Jabsco pumps for some reason the impellers are very long lasting. I've changed a couple that were many years old with many hours and the impellers were still in good shape.

Good to know!

Thanks Ski, sounds like the OP must have been looking at a TA.

Didn't use them for impellers, but I had a set of these that came in pretty handy over the years. Might be the ticket

https://www.toolsource.com/visegrips-c-194_238_247/ergogrip-locking-pliers-p-111266.html

Those are some cool pliers! Thanks for the link.

I have to remove the pump on my Hino’s because there isn’t enough clearance between the pump and the engine mount. No fun at all even with beer as a reward.

Back
Top Bottom