Old 12-02-2013, 08:40 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: San Antonio, Boat is located in Corpus Christi
Vessel Name: Bluebonnet
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Constellation 500
Detroit 6V92 - Hard to Start

Any idea why one of my Detroit diesel engine is hard to start after one month of rest?

My Port engine starts first time (no wait). Now my SB engine will start after several long attempt, then with some "puff" will slowly get to throttle RPM. Once done, all is fine and they both operate the same (Oil & Temp).

Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:26 AM   #2
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
It sounds like a fuel problem. Air in the line from drain back. I assume it starts ok after an hour, day or week but not after a month?? Both engines are fed from same manifold and tank?? If you go to boat diesel with same question they will suggest to you the steps needed to trace the problem.

sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:38 AM   #3

City: Miami
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Any idea why one of my Detroit diesel engine is hard to start after one month of rest? My Port engine starts first time (no wait). Now my SB engine will start after several long attempt, then with some "puff" will slowly get to throttle RPM. Once done, all is fine and they both operate the same (Oil & Temp).
You haven't provided enough info for a proper evaluation. It could be anything from a weak battery bad fuel corroded injector tip or even a stuck ring. Boat diesel is a good Detroit resource you may want to check out.

Via iPad using Trawler
Old 12-02-2013, 04:45 PM   #4
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
It's loosing it's prime, have you checked for fuel dilution in your lube oil? Could be a external leak between supply pump & fuel galley or a crossover line or bad injector which would show up in a oil analysis. Good luck
Old 12-02-2013, 06:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Thanks for all for your answers

Sunchaser, your assumption is correct. My engine starts just fine the next day or couple of days. It is after one month that the difficulty occur (for a non mechanic, that is bizarre !!). After it started, I can run these engines with 10+ hours non strop with no issues.
Both of my engine run on different tanks and I think manifold as well. Do you think I can "bleed" the return fuel line?

Cafesport, if I had bad fuel, would this engine operate with "hiccup" while running? (which is not the case). For the corroded injector tip (which they may be rusted after 28 years of operation...

River Cruiser, I think I will try the oil analysis and see... (good idea)
Old 12-02-2013, 09:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Thanks for all for your answers Sunchaser, your assumption is correct. My engine starts just fine the next day or couple of days. It is after one month that the difficulty occur (for a non mechanic, that is bizarre !!). After it started, I can run these engines with 10+ hours non strop with no issues. Both of my engine run on different tanks and I think manifold as well. Do you think I can "bleed" the return fuel line? Cafesport, if I had bad fuel, would this engine operate with "hiccup" while running? (which is not the case). For the corroded injector tip (which they may be rusted after 28 years of operation... River Cruiser, I think I will try the oil analysis and see... (good idea)
Your engines are kind of unique in that they are 2 cycle and there is no need to bleed them once the 2 fuel filters are full. You can just roll them over and they should care of themselves.
Healthy 6v92s emit a steady growl and should have no hiccups. If your engines harmonic beat sounds like a bass a nova you have a problem. You mentioned smoke no? What color and for how long? 28 calendar years equals how many engine hours for these engines? Oil analysis might also offer some clues.

Via iPad using Trawler
Old 12-03-2013, 06:40 AM   #7
FF
Guru

I would look for a tiny air leak, or the fuel supply check valve is gunked after 28 years .

DD sells a small hand pump that can pressurize the system , so air leaks become fuel leaks , lots easier to locate.

About $70.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:03 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Cafesport, smoke is white for about 8 minutes after I start them. The hours is about 2800 each.
I'll look into oil analysis and replace my fuel filters.
Thanks
Old 12-03-2013, 11:20 AM   #9
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
FF,
Thanks for the tip. I may try that in the spring for my fueling problem that I think is still not solved. Would it work w a regular Bosch system?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Cafesport, smoke is white for about 8 minutes after I start them. The hours is about 2800 each. I'll look into oil analysis and replace my fuel filters. Thanks
What is the temperature where you leave the boat ( maybe try a heater in the er next time).White smoke could be a number of things. Any loss of coolant, can you smell coolant or fuel in the exhaust, any sheen on the water? 2800 hours depending on the hp rating could mean you are past due for some replacement parts. Probably best to draw some oil and get it analyzed before you begin any disassembly. Do the engines sound the same once they get up to temp? Do they both pull max rpms. Should have probably asked this first but has anyone done anything before you had this problem?

Via iPad using Trawler
Old 12-03-2013, 12:20 PM   #11
Guru

City: Fort Myers
"2800 hours depending on the hp rating could mean you are past due for some replacement parts"

That is what I was thinking, when they get tired they take a bit to light off and they smoke. Check fuel system out completely, but also might want a DD mechanic to do a full review.
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:07 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Cafesport, no coolant lost and smoke does not small coolant nor fuel. Before I bought the boat a couple of months ago, the engines were professionally maintained and the survey came out good.
I'll just see what the oil analysis says.

Thanks for your guidance !
Old 12-04-2013, 07:34 AM   #13
FF
Guru

2800 hours is nothing or time for an inframe , mostly depending on how hard they were run.

At 1800rpm its nothing , but if the cruise was 2100 full tilt with turbo and after coolerto the fish killing spot , ideling for hours trolling then on the pin home, an in-frame kit is about $1200 or so.Install $5K +

The engine will need to be lifted but not removed for the overhaul.

To rebuild it it will need to be removed .

Time smoking is not the thing to observe , coolant temperature is.

If you start up , isle for a min or so then run 800RPM till the water is 120F , 1200rpm till 140F , then 1600, when (at what temp) does the smoke clear?

IF it takes 160F to clear , its time for those new cylinders!
Old 12-04-2013, 12:50 PM   #14
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Not to hijack the thread but I will, I worked for several years for a contractor that had a spread of Terex scrapers & dozers all Detroit powered. The death knell for them was overheating, the scrapers were almost always running against the governor when in the cut loading, on the haul road & at the fill area. They were always on the edge of overheating depending on the ambient temp, because of this someone in the office got the idea of installing smaller injectors in the 12v71 in one of the scrapers. What also made this seem like a good idea I guess was that fuel had taken a big jump in price. The way it worked out was 5 scrapers that still had the N70 injectors were running slower until they could pass the slower one with the N65 injectors. There was no appreciable difference in engine temps but there was a decrease in loads per day & none of the operators wanted to run the slower one. A Detroit mechanic told me that they "run the best just before they blow up" of all of them I worked on I never saw one have a catastrophic failure, most just got hard to start & low on power. They are sensitive to the quality of air filters because being a 2 stroke they use twice as much air for combustion as a 4 stroke. If we got 2000 hours on the 12v71 this was considered pretty good. Some of the other smaller Detroits did much better almost as good as the Cats;-)
Old 12-04-2013, 03:14 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Good info river cruiser, I will change my air filters and discuss the injector idea with a Detroit mec.
Thanks
Old 12-05-2013, 07:50 AM   #16
FF
Guru

I will change my air filters and discuss the injector idea with a Detroit mec.
Thanks

The DD dealer will have a bunch of charts showing HP/fuel flow at various RPM with a number of different injectors.

LOTS to chose from .

For any 2 stroke DD the goal is to operate at 60% power, and up.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:35 PM   #17
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
White smoke for several minutes, and slow to start is almost always caused by air in the fuel intake line. It takes awhile to get the fuel back to the injectors and then awhile longer to clear out the air in the injectors.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:18 PM   #18
Guru

City: Somewhere
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'
Check for a fuel line check valve. Some D.D. had them and when they fail to close properly will allow slow bleed down of the fuel in the lines and the return line which allows air in. Then the fuel pump must reprime the system and clear the air which makes for a lot of cranking and bumbling.

Although a totally different engine mine has a check valve in the return line and once I found and changed the old valve, the restarting after a long sit time was totally different.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:02 AM   #19
Guru

City: Port Vila
The reason DDs have a blower/compressor/supercharger is not to make them go fast but because 2 stroke engines require mechanical forced air induction to start (larger ships do it with fans which are stopped after engine is running). A look at the blower and coupling might be a good idea as well.
Nightcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:12 AM   #20

City: Green Cove Springs, Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to bglad
A customer had a similar problem with his Hatteras. They found a leak in the fuel system from the tank manifold. Some of the fuel valve stems were leaking. If your tanks are located lower than the engines it could be the same for you.

bglad is offline   Reply With Quote