Delay on impeller replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

firstbase

Guru
Vessel Name
Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42' Classic
Replaced my port impeller last weekend, no issues. However, a slight emergency made me leave the boat without opening the raw water intake or turning the engine. So, impeller has been sitting in there all week with only some lube on the veins, a couple of veins aimed "backwards", not in the proper turning direction. Going back tonight to finish up and replace other impeller....any harm done by the delay?

No. The impeller doesn't know or care that its installation got interrupted. It'll be fine.

Last edited:
Thanks. I hope I get there before anyone tells it. :).

If your emergency was due to the boat being on fire, your impeller may have been damaged :)

L.

Thanks guys. Lou, luckily the fire was on the port side of the boat only. We're cool. :). I think my concern is or was more about running the impeller while dry. Thought maybe it sitting there for a week the lube would have dried up or soaked in, whatever. Has to draw water up from closed seacock and thought it may hurt. Not sure I have to close the seacock really as I can't say if the pump is below waterline. It's close but not sure.

Impeller vanes will align themselves correctly when started.

It's also easy to align them during the install. Just put a band around them and tighten enough, with vanes in the correct position, to just slide half way in and release the band. Easy.

No worries...it'll be fine. My engines sometimes requires a short bump in power initially to prime the pump and get the flow started.

Open the seacock before you start the engine!

Open the seacock before you start the engine!

1) Been repeating that to myself every hour, on the hour. Have an alarm set to wake me up every hour during the night so I can repeat it then.

2) Used my label maker to put "OPEN SEACOCK" on the boat key. Also put one on each lens in my eye glasses. Reversed so I can read it.

3) Got a small tattoo on the back of both of my hands. "Open Seacock" is on the left hand. On the right hand I got one that says "PLEASE READ LEFT HAND". Had the guy add a Harley with "Ride Free or Die" underneath both of them so I will at least look a little bad ass for the rest of my life.

4) Called marina and had them change my gate access code to 6736*7322625 which of course spells, you got it, "Open Seac...."

You get my point. I'm trying real hard to remember to open the friggin seacock.

Well it was leaking a few drops when I closed it...thru hull maintenance...on the list for when I pull the boat for AF paint in a couple of months. All of them need a little tending to. I bet you guys are REALLY looking forward to me flushing out the cooling system and AC units with some Barnacle Buster. Admit it. VERY excited aren't you? Hey, us newbies keep you fresh.

I've always taped a piece of paper with Seacock on it to the battery (turned off) switch of any engine/generator that I have close the seacock on for some reason. I don't take it off to turn the switch on until I check and open the seacock, sometimes twice (OCD).

Never used one but I recon one of these tools would be fantastic for changing impellers.
Impeller Installation Tool

Coupled with liberal amounts of Dow Corning Compound 4. I love that stuff for any rubber parts, orings etc.

I have one of the impeller changing tools. Works great. My starboard engine water pump is almost impossible to access. With that tool, I can actually get the impeller changed in about 20 minutes. Love it.

Personally my experience with impellers would have made me throw that one away and put a brand new one in. I am not getting stuck out in the ocean changing an impeller AGAIN anytime soon.

Never used one but I recon one of these tools would be fantastic for changing impellers.
Impeller Installation Tool

Coupled with liberal amounts of Dow Corning Compound 4. I love that stuff for any rubber parts, orings etc.

Thanks, not much of a website for ordering, you have to call them. Looks like a very reasonable items as compared to the WM type impeller pullers. I have to say that, maybe because of size/location, it wasn't very difficult to pull or install mine. Pliers...right out....little lube and slid back in.

Is the Dow Corning Compound 4 overkill for this particular job? Seems relatively expensive at $20 +- a tube... is there a benefit to it in this application that makes it better than other lubes/grease?

Personally my experience with impellers would have made me throw that one away and put a brand new one in. I am not getting stuck out in the ocean changing an impeller AGAIN anytime soon.

You sound like...ME! Paranoid about engines and their issues...

I see you are "down here" Donna...tired of the rain yet?!?! I know its a good thing in the long run but how about a break with a day or two of sun???

When we close the engine seacock, we hang the key on the handle. When I retrieve the key, I open the seacock. No tattoos or labels. :)

Hmmm...well...I guess I could do that. Still want to keep my "Ride Free or Die" tattoo though. You know, bad ass and all...

When we close the engine seacock, we hang the key on the handle. When I retrieve the key, I open the seacock. No tattoos or labels. :)

Yep, this is what I do too. Learned it from an old salt.

drift to: when should a seacock be closed?

1 always, when not required
2 never
3 before a survey, then opened immediately (exercised, so the surveyor will find it works)

3 works for me, so no tattoos required.

I always have closed the raw water seacock on my sailboat and I have always hung the ignition key on the seacock handle.

I don't close all the seacocks on my current boat, but if I did, I would do the same thing.

My RW pumps sit above the waterline so no need to close the seacock to change the impeller. I do exercise them once in a while, though.

Well, I don't know if this is good or bad but... went to boat and looked at my new tattoos, read the labels on the inside of my eye glasses and opened up the engine room hatch proud that I didn't start anything with the seacock closed. I remembered. And....I had already opened it back up before I left. Just forgot that I did it. I'm going to think of it as excellent concern and worry over my boat and as a case of the "olds".

Well, I don't know if this is good or bad but... went to boat and looked at my new tattoos, read the labels on the inside of my eye glasses and opened up the engine room hatch proud that I didn't start anything with the seacock closed. I remembered. And....I had already opened it back up before I left. Just forgot that I did it. I'm going to think of it as excellent concern and worry over my boat and as a case of the "olds".

Lol, that sounds so much like something I would do!

Or.... I never actually closed it. Don't remember doing either.

It is now officially a case of the "Olds".

I did learn a lesson in all of this beyond how to remind myself of something. The lesson was to try to complete a job soup to nuts and not stop in the middle. When I left last weekend it was clear in my mind. Had replaced port filters and impeller. Used RTV on the cover but didn't have time to let it dry a bit before final tightening. Changed starboard filters but not impeller. Had one drain knob that felt stripped, need to replace. Now a week later I go below and honestly it took me a while to remember exactly what was what. Still don't know which knob needs replacing. None are leaking though so thats good.

Anyway, just a note from a newb to future newbs...you guys already know this stuff.

Last edited:
It's also easy to align them during the install. Just put a band around them and tighten enough, with vanes in the correct position, to just slide half way in and release the band. Easy.

You mention a band, are you talking about a cable tie?

The Dow Corning is good for a lot of things and a tube lasts forever. Drink three less brewskis and use the saving to but the Dow.

Ordered some today. If its good enough for bilge53 then, damn it, it's good enough for me. That's what I always say.

Had another little impeller fiasco, on the Westerbeke not the Lehmans, today but that's another thread. I know everyone is excited......

Back
Top Bottom