Delay on impeller replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Or.... I never actually closed it. Don't remember doing either.

It is now officially a case of the "Olds".

I did learn a lesson in all of this beyond how to remind myself of something. The lesson was to try to complete a job soup to nuts and not stop in the middle. When I left last weekend it was clear in my mind. Had replaced port filters and impeller. Used RTV on the cover but didn't have time to let it dry a bit before final tightening. Changed starboard filters but not impeller. Had one drain knob that felt stripped, need to replace. Now a week later I go below and honestly it took me a while to remember exactly what was what. Still don't know which knob needs replacing. None are leaking though so thats good.

Anyway, just a note from a newb to future newbs...you guys already know this stuff.

A year or so ago, I started a Google document called Maintenance History. Whenever I do anything that's remotely like maintenance or an upgrade, I document it there. Very easy to search for things like "impeller" to find the date I last changed one, and the circumstances, and the results of that change (i.e., "impeller came out with all pieces still attached"). It's probably excessive, but it's helped me many times.

Greetings,
Mr. fb. RTV SILICONE?????

200w.gif

Aaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!

I'm continually reminded that this Forum is so educational :socool::socool:

Greetings,
Mr. fb. RTV SILICONE?????

200w.gif

Aaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!

Being that my "RTV" post was a year old, I had to go back and think a bit to remember exactly what "RTV" is! Yep, silicone gasket maker. I know not to use silicone on much of anything on the boat but...as a gasket maker is bad as well?!?!

IMO its "ok" as a gasket maker but why not use the normal paper gasket? Easier to put on and take off and no mess. I have learned the hard way not to use it anyplace on the boat.

Ken

IMO its "ok" as a gasket maker but why not use the normal paper gasket? Easier to put on and take off and no mess. I have learned the hard way not to use it anyplace on the boat.

Ken

A one time fix as I was out of "official" gaskets or material and had guests coming so used the RTV. Actually had some thicker gasket material but was leery of using it as I wasn't sure how much difference that made in the seal with it pushing out the cover a little more. Still not sure of the tolerances in these cases. Seems like too thick would stop the cover from sealing and allow water around the edge.

Greetings,
Mr. fb. RTV=room temperature vulcanizing. Regardless of the age of the post, it's still a no-no IMO. The ONLY place I've used RTV is on the large nut on the aft end of my transmission when I replaced the oil seal. The instructions said to use it so I did.

Regarding paper gasket material...Pretty well ANY sheet paper product can be used for the water pump cover provided, and you are correct, it is of the appropriate thickness. I've used beer carton cardboard in a pinch.

Thanks RT. I'm sure its been covered in here 100 times but why no silicone on a RW pump? I get that it fouls up future paint jobs, terrible as an adhesive, etc but not sure why a no-no for a pump gasket? Also, how did you determine the beer carton cardboard was the correct thickness? Micrometer? Close enough is good enough? Just that darn good??!?!

Thanks RT. I'm sure its been covered in here 100 times but why no silicone on a RW pump? I get that it fouls up future paint jobs, terrible as an adhesive, etc but not sure why a no-no for a pump gasket? Also, how did you determine the beer carton cardboard was the correct thickness? Micrometer? Close enough is good enough? Just that darn good??!?!

I honestly think that if one is stuck one needs to use what is available. As far as why it's not great as a pump gasket it's because unlike most parts of an engine the pump cover has to come back off fairly regularly. The rtv gasket already in place may or may not be reuseable and if it's not it's rather a pain to make sure every bit of the old is scraped off.

Ken

I honestly think that if one is stuck one needs to use what is available. As far as why it's not great as a pump gasket it's because unlike most parts of an engine the pump cover has to come back off fairly regularly. The rtv gasket already in place may or may not be reuseable and if it's not it's rather a pain to make sure every bit of the old is scraped off.

Ken

Thanks Ken. Proven by RT's beer box gasket and my RTV I guess. Just curious as to why. Won't use it again, have since purchased some spare paper gaskets for the future.

Back
Top Bottom