Old 08-12-2019, 11:37 PM   #1

City: Seattle
Deere 6125SFM75 Fuel Filter Change

Changed the engine-mounted fuel filter (p/n RE507284) for the first time and canīt for the life of me understand why the manual does not specify that the system needs to be bled after changing the filter. I followed the procedure in Operators Manual. It says to:
  • remove old filter
  • verify that fuel level in the filter canister is between min mark B and max mark A
  • install new dry filter
  • tighten the filter cap

There is no mention of bleeding the system at all. As a matter of fact, I don't think there is a way to bleed it. There is no bleed screw at the top of the filter.

I made sure that the fuel level was almost at the max mark. I fired up the motor and ran it at idle for 10 min and then at 1000 RPM for another 5 min. It ran normal, but my question is what happens to the air that is in the fuel filter? I am pretty damn certain it was not totally full when I put the lid on. Anyone have experience with Deere and this type of filter?

After thinking about this for a day, my theory is that some air stays at the top of filter, but fuel doesn't get picked up from the top, but rather somewhere below the air pocked. I'm attaching a few pics of the filter.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190811_190446.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	92228

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190811_190509.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	92229

Rusalka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 12:44 AM   #2
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
If you followed the instruction, and the engine ran fine, then it bled itself. No worries.

Depending on how and engine is plumbed, the air (some) can wash out to the return line with no issue. Seems like your engine is in that category.

Non-problems are nice to have!!

Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:13 AM   #3

City: Reedville, VA
Vessel Model: Beals Island lobster boat
I don't have your engine or filter, but my JD 4045AFM 85 specifies that after changing filter, turn the key on for 30 seconds for the fuel pump to fill the filter and purge the air, then start as normal. It is a self-priming engine. If it does not start after the first time, they say do it a second time. There are no manual bleeding instructions.

I'd make the assumption yours is the same.
Bkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:13 AM   #4

City: Seattle
Thanks for quick replies! Makes me feel better knowing that not every system requires bleeding.
Rusalka is offline   Reply With Quote