DD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KJ

El Capitan
Vessel Name
Avalon
Vessel Make
Chung Hwa 46 LRC
This should probably go under the Power Systems section, but I thought I'd put it out here first.

Any opinions, comments, experiences, owning, running of;

Detroit Diesel* 4082 8.2L.** 1986

I'm looking at a boat that has a couple of them.******* KJ*

Re: Dd

The longevity of the 8.2s is almost soley due to the PO's diligence and hands on skills. Weak point is cooling system if not kept in top shape. I've a friend with a Tolly 43 who is very hands on. Another friend repowered his Tolly 43 with Deeres about 10 years ago. Parts are becoming harder to come by too. If he did it right and you have the time and ability, they may be worth a look. How many hours on them?

Even if they are perfect, plan on a repower sooner rather than later. The*owner after you certainly will. Did you check the archives from boatdiesel?

I have a 1984 Californian 34 LRC with two of these engines; 8.2 250hp turbo charged. One is original w/4000 hrs; one has been rebuilt & now has 1800 hrs. I get a total fuel burn @ 2000 rpm of 10-12 gph, and a speed of aout 8 -8.5 kts. Top speed seems to be about 22 kts. Unfortunately, over many miles of happy cruising & gunkholing, the props have gotten a bit smaller, & the boat has gotten a bit heavier. Funny how owners, pets, and boats all take on similar characteristics over the years. Anyway, my feeling is that these are engines you either love or hate. They like to drip oil here & there, they are sensitive to heat, and parts are getting expensive. But, all I have to do is touch the key and they start; they don't smoke, they aren't all that hard on fuel, they don't use oil, and they are smooth under way. I'm not sure what the 4082 number is in your post. I'd surely have a qualified 8.2 mechanic go over them very carefully first. Other than that, I wouldn't be afraid of them. Might even be a bit of leverage in the boat's pricing, given the varied reputation these engines have. Good Luck

I had two in an aluminum work boat in the early 90's. They are very economical on fuel but hard to find people who know how to work on them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom