Old 09-09-2014, 03:35 AM   #21
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bermudas2 View Post
The smoke is grey. It looks almost like steam. And the unburned fuel sheen is what it is.. I don't think it's oil.
That`s new information. Nigel Calder (Marine Diesel Engines) says : with white smoke, check if it is vapor or atomized unburnt fuel, briefly put a hand over the exhaust and sniff it. He says persisting unburnt fuel after warm up can mean a defective injector.(Isn`t that what the guy "fixed"?)
I`d expect water vapor to dissipate easily, like a car with a blown head gasket, not to pollute the marina.
[Reference: Nigel Calder - Marine Diesel Engines, 3rd Edn,pp 116-117.]

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 03:44 AM   #22
Scraping Paint

City: -
We use Tri-County Diesel in Bellingham, proprietor Mike. You also might call Bob or Brian Smith at American Diesel back east. While diagnosing an engine problem is nigh on impossible over the phone, they may be able to hazard some pretty good guesses at potential causes, and they may have some folks in the Puget Sound area to recommend.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:51 AM   #23

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Model: 1983 Tung Hwa Clipper
Engines & Generators : Harbor Marine

These guys are very helpful. Good luck.
Adelaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:59 PM   #24

Ah... More very useful information! That sounds like something I might try... The heavier oil that is. I actually happen to have the boat for sale already. It's been on the market for a while now. But being wooden it will only appeal to a few buyers.

I had hoped the new injectors would help with the problem as I'm afraid that the smoking may put off a buyer. Also I did go to the diesel engine blog you mentioned and a mechanic in Nanaimo answered with some good suggestions. As we are now heading south and just coming up on that city I have arranged to have him look at them as we pass through. I'm hoping he can put things right. It may be that just setting everything properly (valves, timing, injectors, etc.) may help and get the engines back to the standard Lehman smoking scenariio. I think the last diesel outfit I used sent out a mechanic who didn't have a clue and so who knows how he left things! Anyway I'm going to be there tomorrow and see what he says...

Thanks for the ideas, though. I may well try the oil. I'll let you know the results if I do....
Bermudas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 04:28 PM   #25
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
That`s new information. Nigel Calder (Marine Diesel Engines) says : with white smoke, check if it is vapor or atomized unburnt fuel, briefly put a hand over the exhaust and sniff it. He says persisting unburnt fuel after warm up can mean a defective injector.(Isn`t that what the guy "fixed"?)
I`d expect water vapor to dissipate easily, like a car with a blown head gasket, not to pollute the marina.
[Reference: Nigel Calder - Marine Diesel Engines, 3rd Edn,pp 116-117.]
You can have both a sheen, steam and no white fuel smoke.

You don't always get white fuel smoke and a sheen. In fact most of the times I've seen a sheen there is no smoke because if you're getting a sheen it's due to dumping raw fuel out the exhaust. Not just running rich.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:41 PM   #26

That makes a lot of sense, becasue the smoke struck me as steam-like as it disappears rather quickly... as if it was evaporating... This is under way I'm talking about, with fully warmed up engines. It could well be unburned fuel vapor and the slick looks like fuel to me as it has that lite look about it... different from an engine oil slick... At least that's my sense when I look at it in the water... It looks the same as spilled fuel (Don't ask me how I know what that looks like!)
Anyway, I'm going to do the sniff test and see. If it is some sort of injector problem I wouldn't be surprised... And if it is, heads will surely roll... Not to mention a refund.

Anyway, thanks.... I think I'll get that book... sounds like a whole diesel forum in one handy place... Besides, I've heard it praised by a couple of other people...
Old 09-10-2014, 10:43 PM   #27

The process of elimination

Well, I took someone's advice on this forum and posted my concerns on boat diesel.com. There I had a reply from a mechanic in Nananimo, BC. He had some great advice and obviously knew his way around these old engines. As luck would have it, we were then two days north of Nanaiamo, heading south. So I emailed his shop and they shifted their schedule to allow Rob the day to go over my engines. He went over them in detail, checking everything that might be the casue of excessive smoke. He set the timing, checked the valves and pressure tested the engines. The result was that nothing helped and the smoke remained. His view is that they are just old and wearing out... Need the dreaded rebuild. So, now I know the situation.

It was important for me to know everyhting has been properly checked and all possible smoke casues have been elimited... leaving only worn/stuck rings or something along those lines.

So, the stop was well worth it. Rob and his service manage we both outstanding... one with the work on the engines, the other with adjusting his service schedule to accomodate mine. (Stone's marina/Nanaimo Yacht Services). Very professional and thorough... I just wish they were in Seattle.

Thanks to everyone here who spent thier time offering infomation and advice. It was all useful and helped in one way or another...
Old 09-10-2014, 11:07 PM   #28
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Good to hear.

In ten years let us know how the rebuild goes a long.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 12:04 AM   #29
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
Glad Stones worked for you, that's where I get hauled...
Old 10-30-2014, 06:17 PM   #30

Took the boat into a recommended diesel outfit in Seattle for a second opinion... They checked them over quite thoroughly. They couldn't find anything wrong... Saying that Lehman's will always smoke some, even when warm... That's just the nature of these engines. They were, after all, built to lower tolerances than modern engines. They acknowledge the engines are getting up there in years, but that alone is not the criteria they say. Apparently they have seen other, older Lehmans' with a lots of hours running just fine. In the end they basically suggested I was being too fussy and overreacting....! I think they looked around the boat and decided I was just a perfectionist! Perhaps they are right... They did suggest I use 40 wt oil based on the running temperature in the engine room, not the outside air temperature...
Old 10-30-2014, 08:52 PM   #31
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Thanks for the update, who did you take it to? I might like them to have a look at mine when I'm through with it.

Tags
engine timing problem