Old 04-24-2015, 12:50 AM   #1

City: Valley Springs
Vessel Name: Lollygag
Vessel Model: 1979 42' CHB Europa
Cutlass bearings

One of the jobs to get done when we haul out in May is replace the cutlass bearings. I've never replaced cutlass bearings so I'll let the yard do it and just watch this one. Still, has anyone replaced their cutlass bearings? Where do you get them, what dimensions are needed? Do I just schedule and extra day on the hard while I go find them. I think the shafts are 2" but have no clue about the diameter of the struts or how long the run is.

Lollygag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 01:15 AM   #2

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Selah
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 40
I've changed cutlass bearings using a tool called a Strut-pro, a threaded puller that presses the old bearing out and then the new one in with the prop shaft in place. The other method requires pulling the prop, disconnecting the shaft coupler and pressing the shaft out of the coupler and removing the shaft, then cutting the bearing to remove it.
If the yard has a puller they may do it that way, otherwise they will probably pull the shaft.
The bearings are standard sizes based on prop shaft size and bearing carrier size and are readily available.
Whichever method you or the yard uses it would be a good opportunity to repack with a goretex packing too.

av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 05:43 AM   #3
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8r View Post
I've changed cutlass bearings using a tool called a Strut-pro, a threaded puller that presses the old bearing out and then the new one in with the prop shaft in place. The other method requires pulling the prop, disconnecting the shaft coupler and pressing the shaft out of the coupler and removing the shaft, then cutting the bearing to remove it.
If the yard has a puller they may do it that way, otherwise they will probably pull the shaft.
The bearings are standard sizes based on prop shaft size and bearing carrier size and are readily available.
Whichever method you or the yard uses it would be a good opportunity to repack with a goretex packing too.
The hydraulic puller mentioned is the way to go. They can change both sides in a hour. Worth every penny!
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:29 AM   #4
FF
Guru

Should you take it apart and find deep scoring , instead of taking out the shaft for replacement , look up Shaft Savers. These are inside out cutlas bearings and worth the O nite delivery price.

1. Marine Bearings - ShaftSaver

www.shaftsaver.com/shaftsaver.htm

<li class="g">Welcome to the ShaftSaver™ web site. This web site tries to clearly demonstrate how our claim that you may never buy another prop shaft can be true, but ...

<li class="g">ShaftSaver Marine Bearings

www.shaftsaver.com/

ShaftSaver rotary bearings reduce maintenance costs for all boat owners.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 11:35 AM   #5
Guru

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apophyge View Post
One of the jobs to get done when we haul out in May is replace the cutlass bearings. I've never replaced cutlass bearings so I'll let the yard do it and just watch this one. Still, has anyone replaced their cutlass bearings? Where do you get them, what dimensions are needed? Do I just schedule and extra day on the hard while I go find them. I think the shafts are 2" but have no clue about the diameter of the struts or how long the run is.
Here are a couple of links that will give you an idea of how it's done.

If you are interested in a source for bearings or renting the tool to do the replacement you can contact:
Ken at Weekend'R Products (716) 864-0012 or WeekendRProducts@aol.com
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 11:46 AM   #6
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
Don't know your exact situation, but none of the above applies to a single screw with the cutlass housing in the keel. In this case, the shaft really has to be removed (good chance to check it for straightness & other problems), and the cutlass split and pulled out or driven out from inside. Easy enough to do but not a job for the inexperienced.
Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 01:30 PM   #7

City: New Bern, N.C.
I just had mine done. The yard wanted to put the boat in the sling to pull the shafts, about 4 hours extra labor. I pulled my props, and removed the struts myself. Sent everything to the prop shop for inspection and repair. Struts were bent, and props needed tuning up. Had the First Mate assist with the installation and saved a lot of money.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	strut1.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	39489   Click image for larger version

Name:	strut2.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	39490  
Old 04-24-2015, 02:29 PM   #8
Guru

City: Little River SC
Vessel Name: JAZ
Vessel Model: Ta Chaio/CT35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooksie View Post
Don't know your exact situation, but none of the above applies to a single screw with the cutlass housing in the keel. In this case, the shaft really has to be removed (good chance to check it for straightness & other problems), and the cutlass split and pulled out or driven out from inside. Easy enough to do but not a job for the inexperienced.
Another plus for having twin engines!
windmill29130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 02:44 PM   #9
Guru

City: DC
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooksie View Post
I learned a trick on this. When you install the bearing into the log, leave a very small amount (about 1/4 in. for our boat) sticking out/protruding from the log. Then, when you next need to remove it, you can grab it with a large pair of large chanel locks or a pipe wrench and remove the bearing without pulling the shaft. You only need to remove the prop for the outside bearing. We replaced both bearings, the outside one near the prop, and inside one where the shaft leaves the shaft alley, without pulling the shaft. We even did the inside one without pulling the boat. But that is a whole 'nother story as they say.
Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 05:41 PM   #10
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill29130 View Post
Another plus for having twin engines!
I see no benefit.

The same time interval that cutless bearings need replacing is about the time everything should be pulled and inspected anyhow...twins just make it 2X as much work.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:28 PM   #11
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
The yard can source or spec them. A good online source I have been very happy with for all things under the waterline is:

Cutless Bearings for Sale. Buy your Johnson Duramax Cutlass Bearing today.

Good advice too, usually.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote