Cummins Spares Kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vulcanbike

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Jaw Breaker II
Vessel Make
Mainship 390
I am looking to purchase a Spares Kit (Cummins part #339335000) for my '01 330 hp Mainship 390 engine. Local dealer says obsolete in Cummins system. Any leads?

Why not just buy the items in the "kit"? A lot of that stuff you can source locally at most any auto parts store.
Or google seaboard marine and talk to them about what's really needed.

Whenever I buy spares I always install them and keep the old parts as the spares. That way I know they fit, that I know how to install them have all the necessary tools, and that the old spares will also fit.
Not including filters however I buy two spare make sure they are identical and install one.

Whenever I buy spares I always install them and keep the old parts as the spares. That way I know they fit, that I know how to install them have all the necessary tools, and that the old spares will also fit.
Not including filters however I buy two spare make sure they are identical and install one.

Great procedure. Beats counting on a part like a fan belt only to find out its too long or short.

I like my spares to be new, that way I don't have to do the job twice.
There was a reason the part was replaced, right?
How do you know the old one is up to par?
Used impellers are a case in point, wear is not always obvious, and even the lousiest will usually still pump some water, but the changeout is a bitch, and if I have to do it at sea, its a double bitch, and I don't want to do it again as soon as I get back to the dock, and I don't want to be sitting on pins and needles wondering if/when the used part will give up.

I like my spares to be new, that way I don't have to do the job twice.
There was a reason the part was replaced, right?
How do you know the old one is up to par?
Used impellers are a case in point, wear is not always obvious, and even the lousiest will usually still pump some water, but the changeout is a bitch, and if I have to do it at sea, its a double bitch, and I don't want to do it again as soon as I get back to the dock, and I don't want to be sitting on pins and needles wondering if/when the used part will give up.

Yes agree 100%. I only use new parts as spares.

I am not advocating keeping junk parts as spares. What good would a broken bet do? If you do regular PMs then old belts and even impellers are not in bad shape but no reason to not match new and old impellers and treat them as filters if you wish. I always keep a spare pump because the impeller is not the only thing that fails.

I am convinced that if you don't install new parts the right tools, knowledge and parts will not always be in the spares kit.
YMMV

Back
Top Bottom