Cummins heat exchangers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sagdito

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Vivante
Vessel Make
Island Gypsy 36
Hi
Can anyone tell me what I should put on the end gaskets when reassembling the heat exchangers, have just removed the end caps on both engines to remove broken anodes and not sure if I need to apply any form of sealant.
Phil.

You probably don't need anything, but a thin wipe of Permatex on both sides of the gasket can''t hurt.

David

You do not need anything at all. . A small amount of silicone grease will help seal and yet come apart easily next time. Do NOT use any sort of petroleum grease such as vaseline or any other normal grease, the petroleum grease may attack and soften the gasket.

You did not loose the small O ring around the central bolt did you?

Thanks guys I thought as much but just wanted to be sure.

The cummins aftercooler service, which is not the heat exchanger service, is quite important. It should be done every season. IF you decide to do your own, be very carefull. Also be sure to pressure test that after cooler after you reassemble. If you pinch an O ring or otherwise get a leak, you will be mixing salt water with the engine combustion air. That gets real ugly really quickly. My boatyard was a Cumins service enter and I had Cummins trained technicians.

Fortunately I don't have after coolers so less for me to worry about.:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom