Cummins Fuel Filter Cap Pipe Plugs Tool?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BernieG

Vessel Name
Axiom
Vessel Make
American Tug 34
Hi folks,

Swapping my Cummins 6BTA Fuel Filter over to the port side of the engine (old hose had started leaking and for convenience).

I need to extract the fuel filter housing pipe plug from one port and move it to the other side of the filter head. It seems to be a weirdly sized square female socket. So, far a boat yard, an auto parts store, a hardware store and a web search have all failed to reveal what tool I need to do it or have anything that fits.

Anyone got any ideas, or I am going to have to buying an expensive pipe plug extractor tool from Cummins, or resort to making a tool, which seems crazy for moving a simple plug! Mind you I had to spend $150 on getting a bracket made (Cummins cost more and had a 6 week lead time)!

Its item #4 in the attached image. Any thoughts as to size or ideas much appreciated.

Cheers
Bernie

Attachments

• Fuel cap.png
    Fuel cap.png
    38.9 KB · Views: 59
You might try posting the question on the Seaboard Marine forum. One of them will likely know. The photo may not be accurate, but it shows a hex fitting and not a square drive fitting.

Other than that, use a caliper to measure the size carefully and then check with the specialty fastener store in your area. In my area it would be Tacoma Screw. They have every imaginable screw product and the tools to fasten them.

If you are like me and have limited time on weekends for these types of projects, it is a bit harder.

Yes, definitely a square fitting on mine (2002 engine)!

Cheers
Bernie

Try a 1/4" or 3/8" socket extension. Last one I fooled with was one of those.

Cannot really see but if it is what I think it is then it simply needs the square drive of a ratchet. Seen those plugs and undone them at work.

If the square drive doesn't work, you might get a large straight slot screw driver to span across two corners of the plug hole.

If you have to you can make a tool from a piece of key stock and file/grind to fit. Then use a adjustable wrench

yes, not a 3/8 or 1/2" (Auto shop and I tried both) and a screwdriver across the span will only burr the socket (already tried - needs too much torque). Next stop off to a fabricator to get a tool made. :-(

Thanks for the suggestions
Bernie

Is it bigger or smaller than 1/2"? If it is smaller, you might try a grinder on a 1/2" drive and grind it down a little bit. Might be cheaper than having a machine shop make a tool.

Back
Top Bottom