Old 05-18-2014, 12:52 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisjs View Post
I am sure there are a lot or rednecks on this site who are deeply offended!!!
Nope. They would take it as a compliment. (I come from a redneck background myself). For some fun photos google "redneck engineering."

Old 05-18-2014, 01:54 PM   #22
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Quote:
My apologies to all those members of German, (Mr. Edelweiss included??) or people called Jerry (not the mouse!!). I stand corrected and henceforth shall use the term "jury rigged" when referring to items constructed with ducting tape and baling line!!
Of course, I would still be interested to know if the solenoid was the cause of the problem and whether the jury rig helped!!
Uhh I'm not offended, I'm Italian/English Canadian-American!
The boat name "Edelweiss" is of German origin, I didn't pick it, but I like the flower, the German song (from the Sound of Music) and German food / beer in general. Prost!!

Your citation is right on. I don't believe the term "Jerry Rig" has anything to do with WW2 German soldiers, Jerry Lewis Telethon, or the Jerry Springer TV show, since it's use predates all these events. It's just another example of the English language evolving, which the PC police examines with a caustic eye looking for a victim.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	german-beer-.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	29933  
Attached Images

Old 05-18-2014, 03:47 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnall View Post
Nope. They would take it as a compliment. (I come from a redneck background myself). For some fun photos google "redneck engineering."
Let me clarify this, by the way, because I would not want anyone to come down to this part of the country and make an error (and possibly lose teeth) because of my comments. You do not call anyone a redneck, nor do you sneer at something and call it "redneck engineering." Sure way to lose teeth. But if you have the right accent, dress in jeans and a t-shirt, and see where Buddy Bob has built something really creative and ingenious, then admiring it and saying (with a smile) something like "Whoa! That is a great piece of redneck engineering!" would not be considered bad manners. No lost teeth.

Basic building blocks for projects are duct tape, baling wire, PVC pipe, rebar, and concrete blocks.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:17 PM   #24
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Some of us Carolina rednecks build boats, too. Some come out pretty nice. Our necks do get red sometimes (farming or fishing). And some of us have engineering degrees. So yep, "redneck engineering"!! No insult at all. Well, maybe, maybe not!!
Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:16 PM   #25
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Model: 99 Nordic Tug
so what happened with the 6bt starting issue?
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:21 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bligh View Post
so what happened with the 6bt starting issue?
Well . . . it kind of got hijacked, I guess, and since I played a minor role in said hijacking I apologize.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:23 PM   #27

City: Alaska
Vessel Name: Nimbus
Vessel Model: Californian
Quote:
I am sure there are a lot or rednecks on this site who are deeply offended!!!

Offended??? I am blushing with PRIDE and Honor!

LOL
superdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:16 AM   #28
Guru

Take care. A "jury rig" is very different to a "rigged jury" Some Australians will remember "Joh`s Jury". ("Joh" was a Queensland politician.)
Not unlike distinguishing between "a fallen woman" and a woman who has merely fallen over.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 11:51 PM   #29
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: 'Snow Mouse.'
Vessel Model: BROOM FLYBRIDGE 42.
Just a thought on the Cummins 6BT, some of those engines had a fuel non return valve fitted and if the little spring is weak the fuel will run back making it hard to start.
If the electrical's on the starter are fine I'd have a wee look there to check it out.
Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:50 PM   #30
Veteran Member

City: Hilton Head, SC
Vessel Name: Irie Daze
Vessel Model: Albin 43 Sundeck
Fuel Solenoid

I would think power to run is a better fail safe option than power to stop. It seems this could prevent a run away engine situation in the event of a failure of the solenoid after the engine was running. What am I missing?
Cathy and David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 01:50 AM   #31
Guru

City: Somewhere
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'
'Power to run' means that if you have an electrical failure the engine will shut down. A faulty fuel control solenoid could shut you down, one lousy loose wire. Think about a rough sea or you get in the way of a much larger vessel or are travelling a current ridden or narrow passage. More than one boat came home after an electrical failure as long as the engine was running or could be started with an independent battery. Often as a backup with this setup people have rigged a mechanical means of closing the fuel valve.

Don't get me wrong as this is what I have, power to run.

'Power to stop' means once started the engine will continue to run regardless of whether the electrical system fails or not. On a boat this is usually an advantage.

If you truly have a runaway engine the fuel solenoid will not stop it anyway. Usually the fuel the engine has found has bypassed the controll, such as crankcase oil. The diesel control solenoid can do nothing. In a case like that the only way is an air shutoff which has to be rigged to operate before a situation like this occurs. Runaways are much less likely with the 4 cycle engines than with the 2 cycles.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 08:46 AM   #32
Guru

Quote:
'Power to stop' means once started the engine will continue to run regardless of whether the electrical system fails or not. On a boat this is usually an advantage.
Was doing some work last weekend on the boat in the slip and was adjusting the upper tach. When I went below to shut down I had nothing...engine kept running.
So I shut her down manually by movng the lever by hand.
So if you have a "power to stop" setup you should learn how to stop manually.

(problem was I broke a connector off the upper start switch when I was behind the panel. Easy to find/fix thankfully)
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:09 AM   #33
Veteran Member

City: Whidbey Island
Vessel Name: Rekindle
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-145
I've had 2 different Cummins 6BT's for many years. Touch the start switch and she's running. Every time I think she's getting tired because the start time gets longer I change out the battery and I'm back to 2 second starting. I've been amazed at how she really likes a good fresh battery. Is your first (quick) start straight off the shore power/charger?
Rekindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:37 PM   #34

City: Menlo park
After many many dead ends, my mechanic spoke to a mechanic in Florida that had the same issue. Not electrical, not fuel. The starter selenoid plunger is "binding" and not returning to the proper position after a cold start. I'll try to get a more detailed description once fixed but by manually moving the plunger on the selenoid prior to ignition, starts right up without the delay in fire up even when warm. After selenoids Are replaced I'll report back if that ends this crazy making problem. Always started fine when cold or when I let it cool for 3 hours. I hope this solves it.
35RivieraSplashgordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:06 PM   #35
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
There are 2 start solenoids on a Cummins, the normal one we all have on the starter and an "auxiliary relay" that caught me by surprise when I had my starter out for a refresh.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:33 PM   #36
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35RivieraSplashgordon View Post
After many many dead ends, my mechanic spoke to a mechanic in Florida that had the same issue. Not electrical, not fuel. The starter selenoid plunger is "binding" and not returning to the proper position after a cold start. I'll try to get a more detailed description once fixed but by manually moving the plunger on the selenoid prior to ignition, starts right up without the delay in fire up even when warm. After selenoids Are replaced I'll report back if that ends this crazy making problem. Always started fine when cold or when I let it cool for 3 hours. I hope this solves it.
Go see the test proposed in post #7.

Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
6bt, cummins, hot, starting