Old 09-21-2015, 07:22 PM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Camden
Vessel Name: Spindrift
Vessel Model: Lehtinen/Sawyer
Very helpful information. Thanks for the input!
PenBayCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:08 PM   #22

City: Ft Lauderdale
Vessel Model: 120' Custom, Cat 3512's, 1750 HP ea.
Must be starting to get a little chill in the air in Camden. I grew up just southwest of you a bit, spent time both on the coast and inland lakes. Learned how to sail out of Freeport area/Casco bay, but have cruised the coast off and on over the years. Left Camden Hbr the day before hurricane Bob back in I think 92, that did a lot of damage there. Spent a month or so bouncing between Portland/Boothbay/Camden/Bar Hbr. six yrs ago. Then five yrs ago just did a fuel/food/weather stop in Portland on way both to and from Halifax/ St Lawrence /Great Lakes.

I'm sure Tony on BoatDiesel, or on his shipyards website SBMAR.com has a few tests you can perform to help define you problem, max allotted blowby/crankcase pressure, maybe an adapter to do a compression test. Like someone said earlier you can back off one injector at a time, sometimes helps but messy, make sure you got plenty of diapers for the fuel runoff.
On Youtube there are vids on how to make an injector puller, I think I used an old fuel fitting and had it welded to a slide hammer fitting.
BerettaRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 05:01 PM   #23
Veteran Member

This is the first chilly day actually, been very warm & humid. Funny you should mention Hurricane Bob, we were camping on Warren Island the day before.

I'll have to check out that video. Expect to pull the injectors and have Atlantic Fuel Injection go over them. Plus like to run a compression test.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:09 PM   #24
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Check the blowby already. Just takes a flashlight and pulling oil fill cap. And do the inj cancel test, just takes a wrench and a rag.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 05:45 PM   #25
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
Check the engine mounts and if suspect, the engine alignment. Is it really rough or is it rattling? Could be the damper plate? The crankshaft dampener can cause roughness when it fails.

Change the fuel, oil, coolant and air filters. Set the valves. Check the coolant condition. With the air filter off, look at the turbo for damage and leakage. Pull the intake pipe and clean out all the crud. NOW run the engine and look for blowby (they all have some, especially the engines that are not mounted horizontally fore and aft. If you are not familiar with Cummins, this may not tell you anything). Still rough? Now pull the injectors. Remember to replace or anneal the washers when you put them back. Does the manual say to check the timing now? Do that too. Now do a compression test.

Use a logical progression, get a baseline to ensure the engine(s) have been maintained, don't just start piecemeal. It might not be at all what you might guess.
Good luck.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:03 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Unfortunately the boat is 85 miles away. If I make the trip this weekend. 1. See if the engines will come up to full rpm. 2. Check the blow by. 3. Time permitting, pull the injectors to bring back with me. Air filter is clean. Oil, oil filter and fuel filters changed at the end of last season.
Old 10-24-2015, 10:11 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I've been up to the boat a few times over the last month. Could have swarn the port engine was rough but it's the starboard. The port engine did have a little smoke at idle at operating temperature. Also, found a report discussing these issues from a couple of years ago.

Have done the following; 1. Opened oil fill caps, no appreciable blow by. 2. Engines reach max rpm (2600). 3. Cracked injector lines, each created the same sounded and effect to idle.

Decided to have the injectors checked out. Only had enough day light to pull port engine injectors. The shop said they were working well but showed wear upon being disassembled. Cost to rebuild $120 ea, new Bosch units $90. Decided to buy the new ones. Not only less expensive but start our ownership with new.

Installed the port injectors last weekend before going out for cruise. The little bit of exhaust smoke has cleared up.

Hope to swap out the injectors in the starboard engine next weekend.