Cummins 5.9L NA?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Baker

TF Site Team/Forum Founder
Site Team
Vessel Name
Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Make
Meridian 411
I was just curious.* I have never seen a naturally aspirated version of the venerable Cummins straight 6(BT) 5.9 liter engine.* The lowest output I have seen by this engine is 210hp and it is still force fed.** Does a naturally aspirated version of this engine exist and, if so, how much power does it put out?

According to boatdiesel.com, there's one Cummins 6 that's naturally aspirated:

6B5-9M - Current Model. Natural 6 cylinder diesel with ratings from Light Duty 121 SAE HP:(90.0kW) to Light,Medium Duty 115 SAE HP:(86.0kW).

Thanks Chris, I have never seen or heard of it. I would imagine it would make a great engine. Too bad they didn't push it more.

I would imagine it would make a great engine

Frequently engines come in a series from a natural to dual turbos with 3 or 4 products from the same block.

Looking at the Mfg spec for 24/7 frequently show little difference in long term power output ,
BUT the short time power output may be much ! higher.

The "best" deal is usually the most basic engine , sans turbo , if trawler speeds are contemplated.

If you have the boats displacement in pounds , divide by 2240 , for weight in long tons.

1 hp per ton moves you at cruise, 3hp per ton will punch into most conditions anyone is likely to see, 5hp per ton is for plaining .or "Semi Displacement" boats that will use their less efficient hull shape at higher speeds to semi stabelize the hull.

Each 15 to 17 hp burned will cost 1 gallon (US) per
hour.

FF

Back
Top Bottom