Cumminns 330 hp cooling water vent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pgitug

Guru
Vessel Name
Escapade
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 37 2002
My question is do I have the correct vent to bleed off the air when filling the antifreeze? In all three pictures the red arrow is pointing to the same valve. The three pictures are just for reference points. I just want to make sure so I don't damage the engine. I have extra antifreeze because I took a cabin heater out of the loop. ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465495234.574485.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465495247.962274.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465495268.131226.jpg

Yes that is the bleed screw. By the way, did you know Cummins recommends changing the antifreeze every two years?

Yes that is the bleed screw. By the way, did you know Cummins recommends changing the antifreeze every two years?

I did hear that. And to use Fleet brand.

Pgitug: Just curious. I see a "Short Zinc" notation on the front end of your heat exchanger. I have a 330 6bta in our boat but use the same length zincs in all (three) locations. Should I be concerned? My local boatyard/Cummins dealer has never said anything about the need for a shorter zinc.

Cummins Zincs

On certain models of the Cummins 5.9 series you must cut about half an inch off the pencil zink in the heat exchanger otherwise it will hit part of the heat exchanger inside. I have a QSB 5.9 and I put the same warning and a cut point on my heat exchanger. It is not necessary on all heat exchangers if you have never had a problem then you do not have to cut the zinc.

Pgitug: Just curious. I see a "Short Zinc" notation on the front end of your heat exchanger. I have a 330 6bta in our boat but use the same length zincs in all (three) locations. Should I be concerned? My local boatyard/Cummins dealer has never said anything about the need for a shorter zinc.

Yes. The depth on that zinc is less than the others. I cut 3/8" off of that zinc before I install it.

Thanks to you both.

On certain models of the Cummins 5.9 series you must cut about half an inch off the pencil zink in the heat exchanger otherwise it will hit part of the heat exchanger inside. I have a QSB 5.9 and I put the same warning and a cut point on my heat exchanger.

I am going to steal that idea. That is excellent.

Back
Top Bottom