Old 02-14-2011, 08:08 AM   #1
Guru

City: Sunset Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Polly P.
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Cruising Spare Parts

Aside from filters and impellors, what kind of spare parts do you carry?

I'm assuming gaskets, belts, spare injector(s) etc.

How often have you had to use them?

Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:33 AM   #2
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
RE: Cruising Spare Parts

Woody, with twin engines no spares needed!

On a more serious note, how long should one keep spares before they become suspect - say water pumps, impellers, hoses, belts and anything else rubber based?

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:42 AM   #3
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

Lift pump.
Tom.B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:00 AM   #4
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

Raw Water Impeller, fuel filters, belts.
Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:33 PM   #5
Doc
Guru

I'll add to the above...A/C pump, shower sump pump, hose washers, cable TV splitters and double male fittings, Water/gas separator filter for dinghy OB, fuses and all sorts of light bulbs, hose clamps, electrical connectors and strippers/crimpers, ss screws and bolts, bicycle spokes, bilge pump and float switches. and on and on...
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:42 PM   #6
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC

Quote:
Egregious wrote:

Aside from filters and impellors, what kind of spare parts do you carry?

I'm assuming gaskets, belts, spare injector(s) etc.

How often have you had to use them?
It depends a lot on how far from home you will be cruising, availability of parts away from home, the tools you carry on board, and your ability to understand what is needed and how to do the work.

I have*a spare impeller, belts, filters (one or more of each), oil, and coolant (pre mixed).* Fuses, a small selection of wire, various screws, bolts, nuts, washers, electrical terminals, electrical tape, duck tape, and chemicals and lubricants.* Also, two shore power cords and adapters to 50 amp and 20 amp.

I keep a pretty well equipped tool box onboard so I don't have to take tools back and forth from home.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:42 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Doc wrote:

I'll add to the above...A/C pump, shower sump pump, hose washers, cable TV splitters and double male fittings, Water/gas separator filter for dinghy OB, fuses and all sorts of light bulbs, hose clamps, electrical connectors and strippers/crimpers, ss screws and bolts, bicycle spokes, bilge pump and float switches. and on and on...
I think I carry all that except the bicycle parts, plus I probably have the fittings and clamps Doc is missing.* Sometimes I think I am a floating hardware store.
Main engine wise I had to change a V belt once while underway and of course fuel filters. I once chafed thru a turbo oil hose, that wasn't fun but I was close to home.
I've topped off coolant and oil, but "knock on wood" never had anything major break.

I do keep spare impellers and belts, and I rotate them every 2 years, ie spares go on the engine and I buy new spares.

jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:59 PM   #8

City: Edmonds, WA
Vessel Name: WESTERLY
Vessel Model: 1974 Pacific Trawler 37

Our boat is pretty well equipped with spares, so we can cruise to remote locations in BC and SE Alaska and keep things running.

When I bought this boat, I was unfamiliar with the 210HP Cummins engine which only had 424 hours over the previous 9 years.* But the boat came equipped with a spare starter, FW pump, SW pump, FO pump solenoid, FO lift pump, thermostat, belt tensioner and alternator.

Within 3 months, I had replaced the running parts with the spares for two main reasons:* To find out how to do it (and to make sure I had the tools to do it), and to make sure that all of the spares fit and worked.* The*removed parts were rebuilt/reconditioned and brought back onboard as the new spares.
Jay N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:29 PM   #9
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: D U E T T E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy

Quote:
Jay N wrote

Within 3 months, I had replaced the running parts with the spares for two main reasons:* To find out how to do it (and to make sure I had the tools to do it), and to make sure that all of the spares fit and worked.* The*removed parts were rebuilt/reconditioned and brought back onboard as the new spares.
***********Good point- What good are spares if you are missing a tool or fitting to make the swap?

********** JohnP

JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:09 AM   #10
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser

Must agree with most of the above.
Spare impellers for all pumps, spare belts for all driven equipment, spare starter motor for main engine, a couple of spare injectors for both main and gen engines, a kit for making up
replacement high press fuel lines, a spare drive plate.
If you have room in the engine room carry it as long as you have the nouse to do the repairs.

Benn
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:01 PM   #11
Guru

All of the above, except maybe the bicycle spokes. My spare starter is new/rebuilt, spare fresh and sea water pumps for the engine, every belt & hose, clamps, 2 changes of oil and trans fluid, fuel pump, injector pipes, exhaust elbow, drive plate, zincs, prop, filters, trans and eng heat exchanger, rad cap, alternator, etc. I also carry tools to repair/replace all of the above, including bolts to pull the flywheel. (If you've ever done one on a Lehman you know what I mean) a combination wrench of the proper size to change the prop, prop puller, etc.

None of my spares are half worn out like the twin engine guys are. Most are painted to match, (if needed) and sealed airtight in seal a meal bags until needed.
2bucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:08 PM   #12
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: D U E T T E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy

Quote:
2bucks wrote:

None of my spares are half worn out like the twin engine guys are. Most are painted to match, (if needed) and sealed airtight in seal a meal bags until needed.

2bucks- Thats a good one.** Got to love your single!* JohnP
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:46 PM   #13
Scraping Paint

City: -
Cruising Spare Parts

Quote:
2bucks wrote:

None of my spares are half worn out like the twin engine guys are.
Yeah, but you have to put your spares on while your boat's rolling and pitching like a son of a bitch in a seaway and the current's carrying you*toward the rocks.* The twin guys just keep going and make the fix in the peace and quiet and no-pressure, no-urgency calm of the slip.

I know which situation I vote for.

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 15th of February 2011 08:41:24 PM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:33 PM   #14
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2

Most spare parts just rust away in some damp corner anyway.

A boat that is not underway or manned constantly is a horrible warehouse.

A boat that is underway and manned constantly is just a bad place to store spare parts until they are lost or useless.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:07 AM   #15
FF
Guru

AS a Cruising Sailor the rule was a spare part was an operating part (like an alternator or starter) that was removed and replaced with the spare.

This assures the spare works , and that you have the tools and skills to replace it .

While its not a spare part , the concept of spraying much of the engine with fogging oil (stays in place), and WD40 on the electric terminal ends seems to help.
FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:12 AM   #16
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120

FF wrote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AS a Cruising Sailor the rule was a spare part was an operating part (like an alternator or starter) that was removed and replaced with the spare.

This assures the spare works , and that you have the tools and skills to replace it .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with FF. We try put on our spares such as alternators, voltage regulators, starters, etc. when we get them and then put the working part in inventory. We have found a lot of new spares suffer from SID (sudden infant death). More than once we have installed a "new" or rebuilt alternator only to have it not work at all or fail with in the first few days.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:18 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Marin wrote:

2bucks wrote:

None of my spares are half worn out like the twin engine guys are.
Yeah, but you have to put your spares on while your boat's rolling and pitching like a son of a bitch in a seaway and the current's carrying you*toward the rocks.* The twin guys just keep going and make the fix in the peace and quiet and no-pressure, no-urgency calm of the slip.

I know which situation I vote for.

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 15th of February 2011 08:41:24 PM

I suppose if you don't maintain your boat or have no mechanical skills that may be a problem. Have you had many starters fail while underway*in the middle of a seaway? Regular maintenance and visual inspections allow me to make the repairs at the dock without the problem of finding a mechanic or a spare part. Is locking that non-running engine shaft a problem while pitching violently?

It's amazing how bad the conditions you boat in are. Violent seas, unpredictable hurricane force winds, swift currents always sweeping you towards the rocks, extreme amounts of seaweed, logs and stumps everywhere, contstant breakdowns. I now understand why it takes two of you on constant watch to run your boat and why you disconnected your autopilot, and have to constantly retune your radar so as not to be lost at sea.

2bucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:05 PM   #18
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."
Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:49 PM   #19
Guru

City: Sunset Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Polly P.
Vessel Model: Monk 36

Wow, I asked a simple question.* And what I got was priceless.*
Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:02 AM   #20
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

It is amazing, all this brouhaha over pieces of wood in the water. *Wood that thousands of vessels avoid every day, and a few don't.* Sometimes a good riposte is all that is needed.

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote