Go Back   Trawler Forum > Maintenance and Systems > Power Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2015, 09:36 PM   #1
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, fl
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
Cost to change oil on a cummins 330hp diesel including oil and filters? Also at how m

I am looking at some vessel options and I do not have a clue what each oil change is going to run on this type of engine. I am coming from a sailboat that had a 54 hp diesel. Any and all information would be appreciated.

Pgitug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:50 PM   #2

City: West Vancouver
Vessel Model: 50' Gulf Commander
Lots of questions - what engine, doing it yourself, etc.
I have cummins 555s and do it myself, have pumps to do it etc. Filters and oil are cheap when viewed in boat-bucks. I buy oil 20 litres at a time for a bit over $50. Can't remember filter price but it wasn't bad - certainly under $50 each. Might be one of the cheapest maintenance items on the boat. I spend more on zincs and teak finish!

nmuir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:02 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgitug View Post
I am looking at some vessel options and I do not have a clue what each oil change is going to run on this type of engine. I am coming from a sailboat that had a 54 hp diesel. Any and all information would be appreciated.
The 6B Diamond is 4 gallons of oil and a filter- IIRC, somewhere around $80 for everything.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:16 PM   #4
Guru

Hey thanks for the input. Yes I figure on changing the oil/filters myself. $80.00 I can live with.

I believe Cummins recommends oil change at 200 hours. Is that about right?
Old 02-11-2015, 10:21 PM   #5
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgitug View Post
I believe Cummins recommends oil change at 200 hours. Is that about right?
What does the operator's manual say?
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:23 PM   #6
Guru

I am just looking at used boat so I have no idea what the manual recommends. The engine In question is the 6B six cylinder 330 cummins, just to clarify.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:27 PM   #7

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Safe Harbour
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
The manual for my year 2000 6BTA 330 says 250 hours.

My boat came with a manual pump plumbed and mounted on the engine. With the oil warm I just throw a valve and start pumping into an appropriate container. It doesn't take long—maybe 6 or 8 minutes—to empty the engine. Remove the old filter, prefill and install the new one, pour the new oil into the engine. The whole process takes maybe 30 minutes. Plus another 15 to set up and clean up.

Very easy.

Not really sure what it costs (it costs what it costs...), 1 filter and 4 gallons of oil (save half a gallon for the next oil change, the engine only needs 3.5 gallons). Definitely under $100.
Retriever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 11:31 PM   #8
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
I will echo what others have said. An oil change is quite cheap when compared to other MX items on a boat. Are you sure you are not getting in over your head?

I have a pair of the exact same engines. The info on this thread is right on. BUT...there are certain little idiosyncracies to this engine when installed in a marine application. My first suggestion would be to go to and subscribe to www.boatdiesel.com. It is relatively cheap in the grand scheme of things. While these engines do hold about 4 gallons of oil, it is recommended by many to only put 13 quarts in...basically the bottom line on the dipstick.

More info here:
http://www.sbmar.com/Maintenance/PDF...Dip-Sticks.pdf

And I would highly recommend you spend some time on "Tony's Tips" to get to know those engines a bit better.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:42 AM   #9
Guru

Actually changing oil on a Cummins 6B is just about the easiest I have done. The filter can be removed without spilling a drop. Lower it into a ziplock bag. Done.
Most of the marine ones come with a hose attached to the oil pan plug so sucking out the oil is a piece of cake.
My manual said 250 hour interval.
And I would put in the full 16 quarts. My engine was actually nose down and the boat ran pretty flat so I didn't have the issue of the engine puking out the oil as described so often in the boatdiesel site.
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:50 AM   #10
FF
Guru

Remember the best oil changes are with a Hot engine.

Ideling at the dock may allow the oil to be thin enough to pump, but the expensive additives (you paid for) have not had the heat or circulation time to get the fines that cause the wear.

Go for a hour or 5 ride , then change the oil .

Most books will give engine hours OR time just sitting in the engine.

The lowest is the choice.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:46 AM   #11
Guru

City: gulf coast
Services include coolant filter tests and change, on engine fuel filter change. The manual is well detailed what needs to be done. Transmission oil and filters need changing from time to time as well.
bayview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:54 AM   #12
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
No coolant filter on 6B. Engine is also pretty easy on coolant, just change when cleaning heat exchanger.

Oil in typical trawler duty cycle lasts a long time. Engines often run at 25% power and oil samples show oil still in great shape at 300hrs. This is the case with my 6C, I change oil at 300hrs, or before long trips.

Actually find more problems with engines run at super low power, where oil does not heat up enough to drive out moisture and fuel residue.

Best thing to do is change oil in engine, then run it like you will for 100 or 200hrs and take a sample. Base oil change interval on that.

Oil changes are cheap on the 6B and 6C. Expensive things are aftercooler and sea water pump. The aftercooler needs maintenance, and the pumps are troublesome.
Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:56 AM   #13
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
It will cost twice as much to change oil on two Cummins as it does for one.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:45 AM   #14
Guru

City: Fort Myers
I find the oil change is the easier part of maintenance, its getting rid of the old oil (which I sometimes hold in my garage for a while) more of a task, need to drive to dump which has a special tank to pour it in.
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:41 PM   #15
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinmike View Post
I find the oil change is the easier part of maintenance, its getting rid of the old oil (which I sometimes hold in my garage for a while) more of a task, need to drive to dump which has a special tank to pour it in.
I don't know if it is a cultural thing...but the vast majority of marinas in my area have oil dump sites in them. The real issue I have found is trying to get rid of old gas. Now that is a PIA!!! And of course some use the oil dump sites to get rid of old gas...which is a big NO NO!!!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 02:55 PM   #16
Guru

Hey I appreciate all the info. I will sign up for www.boatdiesel.com. I have heard great things about them. This is a step up from my old Yanmar 54 hp diesel. But I did do all the maintenance on it and my fisher panda gen set without any major issues. I know a vessel with a larger engine will be more expensive. That is why I am asking the questions, to prepare my cruising fund. I loved the sailboat. I just got tired of being outside for the six months we take to travel from Florida up the east coast each summer. Tired of being wet, hot and bug bites. The costs that you folks have listed is great information and I will use this for my projections.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:43 AM   #17
Guru

Quote:
No brainer for me. My son has an automotive repair shop and he heats all winter using drain oil. He has a 1200 gallon storage tank.
There are many shops in the north east that will gladly accept drain oil "donations".
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 08:00 AM   #18

City: Muskegon, MI
Vessel Name: Sum Escape
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47' Europa
Quote:
Auto Zone or Advance Auto takes the drain oil too. They may say they will only take 5 gallons per person on their website but I have never had a problem dropping off 15-18 gallons at a time.
sum escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:46 AM   #19
Guru

City: Fort Myers
Thanks everyone for your tips, I use/re-use Spackle buckets so I need to empty them myself and since I'm in a town marina no service area. Of course I end up have a few oil change amount stock up since I'm not a fan of the dump, but eventually I get there and drop close to 50 gallons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum escape View Post
Auto Zone or Advance Auto takes the drain oil too. They may say they will only take 5 gallons per person on their website but I have never had a problem dropping off 15-18 gallons at a time.
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:46 PM   #20
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Model: 99 Nordic Tug
Sorry, I have to laugh at this one. I guess the only bad question is one that is not asked , but I just finished adjusting the valves, replacing the sea water pump and complete refurbishing of the transmission cooler, aftercooler and heat exchanger on my 330.

The best answer I can give you is the cost of an oil change is less than peanuts compared to the overall maintenance of this engine.

Im off to the boat this weekend to replace all my coolant hoses to the water heater and air handler.

bligh is offline   Reply With Quote