Go Back   Trawler Forum > Maintenance and Systems > Power Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2015, 10:35 AM   #21

City: Bohemia
Hey PGITug. I assume you live in PGI and have a tug? I have a Ranger 27 Tug and I also have a condo in PGI. That will be my cruising ground when I finally retire in a few years. What type of boat and how do you like cruising Charlotte Harbor? My tug has a Yanmar 180 HP and I change my own oil. Yanmar uses synthetic oil, it seems like most newer diesels are using synthetic. That makes the oil cost almost double. To have it done costs $400. I do it for under $100. and it takes me about 30 minutes. I am thinking about having an automatic oil changing system installed. I think that will be a little pricey?

chester613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 11:55 AM   #22
Guru

City: gulf coast
But well worth the cost. add the genny as well.

bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 07:35 AM   #23
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, fl
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
Bligh hey another question

When you went through the coolers and heat exchangers can you tell me how many hours were on the engine, what problems you were having that caused you to do the overhauls, the process of having the work done and the associated cost of the work? About half the boats I am looking at show this work being done in the log book but the others have over 1500 hours on the engine without any color or heat exchanger work being done. Which seems like neglect to me. Appreciate your feed back on this.
Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 07:42 AM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chester613 View Post
Hey PGITug. I assume you live in PGI and have a tug? I have a Ranger 27 Tug and I also have a condo in PGI. That will be my cruising ground when I finally retire in a few years. What type of boat and how do you like cruising Charlotte Harbor? My tug has a Yanmar 180 HP and I change my own oil. Yanmar uses synthetic oil, it seems like most newer diesels are using synthetic. That makes the oil cost almost double. To have it done costs $400. I do it for under $100. and it takes me about 30 minutes. I am thinking about having an automatic oil changing system installed. I think that will be a little pricey?
Chester 613 you will have a great time cruising SW Florida with the boat you own. I just sold my 41 sailboat and am researching her power boat replacement. When you get down here research the boat clubs and join the one that you like the best. It is a great way to see the area.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:16 PM   #25
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgitug View Post
When you went through the coolers and heat exchangers can you tell me how many hours were on the engine, what problems you were having that caused you to do the overhauls, the process of having the work done and the associated cost of the work? About half the boats I am looking at show this work being done in the log book but the others have over 1500 hours on the engine without any color or heat exchanger work being done. Which seems like neglect to me. Appreciate your feed back on this.
Servicing the after coolers is a preventative maintenance item. Hopefully you have no symptoms related to a failing after cooler. The after coolers on these engines are sea water cooled. If am after cooler is failing/leaking, it is introducing seawater directly into the intake of your engine. Hence the very stringent maintenance interval of this item. I think it is somewhere in the 2-4 year range depending on the salinity of your area and how paranoid you are.... I will do mine at 3 years. Yes, not doing this maintenance would be considered neglect. You should be able to tell if it was EVER done based on the condition of the paint around the nuts and bolts of these items. It is very possible to do this maintenance yourself. I think it is on Seaboard's web page under "Tony's Tips". If not it is on boat diesel.com. I do not do my own. It will cost between $800-$1000 to have someone do them. That is for them to come down and remove them and take them to the shop, service them and then re install. It is possible to see symptoms of a failing after cooler upon disassembly before it does any damage to your engine. In this case, you would replace the entire after cooler.....around $2000 a piece.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 12:31 PM   #26
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Aftercooler Maintenance - Cummins

At the very least, that link will educate you on what an after cooler actually is. If you notice, once the cooler is off, it is fairly straight forward. Getting to mine...at least the port side, is a PIA, and the reason I let someone else do it. If I were cruising, I would do it myself!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:00 AM   #27
Guru

Another point about "regular" maintenance of coolers....if you wait too long, they may not come apart easily, or they may not come apart at all depending on what materials they are.

I take mine off every 2 or 3 years and clean them myself, inspect repair if necessary and paint. That pattern has worked for me. I have a single engine so it's not all that hard to get to any of them.
You'll find pieces of broken zincs, grass even though there is a strainer, other unidentified crusty stuff, etc. I even discovered I had a broken mounting bracket once...the weld/braze had failed (the hoses were holding it in place!).
You also get the opportunity to look behind the coolers and inspect those areas.
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:14 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
Servicing the after coolers is a preventative maintenance item. Hopefully you have no symptoms related to a failing after cooler. The after coolers on these engines are sea water cooled. If am after cooler is failing/leaking, it is introducing seawater directly into the intake of your engine. Hence the very stringent maintenance interval of this item. I think it is somewhere in the 2-4 year range depending on the salinity of your area and how paranoid you are.... I will do mine at 3 years. Yes, not doing this maintenance would be considered neglect. You should be able to tell if it was EVER done based on the condition of the paint around the nuts and bolts of these items. It is very possible to do this maintenance yourself. I think it is on Seaboard's web page under "Tony's Tips". If not it is on boat diesel.com. I do not do my own. It will cost between $800-$1000 to have someone do them. That is for them to come down and remove them and take them to the shop, service them and then re install. It is possible to see symptoms of a failing after cooler upon disassembly before it does any damage to your engine. In this case, you would replace the entire after cooler.....around $2000 a piece.

Understand what you are saying. Great info. I did the heat exchanger on my sailboat. These are obviously much larger, but same principle. Also thanks for the estimated cost of service/parts.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:45 PM   #29

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Secret Egret
Vessel Model: American Tug 34
We also have a 330 6BTA on our 34 American Tug. I serviced the aftercooler myself using a kit from Sbmarine shortly after purchasing the boat last summer. After reading "Tony's tips" thoroughly regarding these coolers, I felt confident enough to go it alone.

It took a bit of persuading to get the cooler core out out using a wooden block and light taps with a small hammer. It was quick work to clean it and reinstall. The Metalube that is included in the kit should make the next cleaning that much easier to remove the core.

I would highly recommend saving the money and do the aftercooler service yourself.

Secret Egret
2003 34 American Tug
Attached Images

ashlaney is offline   Reply With Quote