control quadrant convention

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QB

Vessel Name
Skookum Maru
Vessel Make
Ed Monk design #1924
A nice old classy control quadrant:

shiftthrottle.jpg

Obviously one lever controls throttle, the other controls the transmission. But which is which? Should the throttle be the shorter one, or the longer one? The one closer to the helm, or farther?

Without color coding, what is the convention?

--Paul

Well, on mine, the left lever is for the transmission and the right for the throttle. Gee, wouldn't it have been a good idea for the builder to differentiate?

img_198672_0_9706569c73d428c0c158b29d8738fd4c.jpg

Smaller for throttle, bigger for clutch.

Should the throttle be the shorter one, or the longer one? The one closer to the helm, or farther?

Unless it is going on a Beechcraft, or a Douglas I would put the throttle on the left. It is the highest and comes to hand first.

Which lever do you move first to change direction or speed?

Unless it is going on a Beechcraft, or a Douglas I would put the throttle on the left. It is the highest and comes to hand first.

Which lever do you move first to change direction or speed?
all the older hats had the throttle on the left and tranny on the right. may be they are still that way, most boats have it the other way around.

Mr. Kobelt says long handle for clutch, short handle for throttle.

Mr. Morse says black for clutch, red for throttle.

Last edited:

This sixty year old bronze unit is a Mathers, and the current installation follows the long clutch, short throttle convention, which I guess is OK. On the other hand, it is set up so idle is forward and full throttle is aft, which made me wonder what else might be wrong!

Like mark's layout, mine is gears on the left, throttle on the right, but just to make life more interesting, whoever put them on, put the coloured knobs the other way round, with red on the gear lever and black on the throttle, and I never felt inclined to change them in case I was wrong.
Now it's going to bug me, and they'll probably break or something when I go to change them. They are the same up on the flybridge.

Like mark's layout, mine is gears on the left, throttle on the right, but just to make life more interesting, whoever put them on, put the coloured knobs the other way round, with red on the gear lever and black on the throttle, and I never felt inclined to change them in case I was wrong. Now it's going to bug me, and they'll probably break or something when I go to change them. They are the same up on the flybridge.
Their really easy to switch around they just unscrew.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom