Combustion gas in coolant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Genesis

Vessel Name
Genesis
Vessel Make
Outer Reef 26
My 1980 Isuzu C240 also Pisces 60 has combustion gas in the coolant The coolant reservior overflows before the engine gets to full temperature. Before I realized there was a problem, i was on test run and when I got to 2000 rpm, there was white smoke out the exhaust.It has always been very dependable. i live in MTand the boat is stored in an enclosed building, but hasn’t been in the water for 8 yeears. i do start it up every year. My guess is that the coolant lost some of it’s antifreeze properties and I have a cracked block or head..can’t imagine a bad head gasket as I have never run it hardfor sale but not marinized..

My 1980 Isuzu C240 also Pisces 60 has combustion gas in the coolant The coolant reservior overflows before the engine gets to full temperature. Before I realized there was a problem, i was on test run and when I got to 2000 rpm, there was white smoke out the exhaust.It has always been very dependable. i live in MTand the boat is stored in an enclosed building, but hasn’t been in the water for 8 yeears. i do start it up every year. My guess is that the coolant lost some of it’s antifreeze properties and I have a cracked block or head..can’t imagine a bad head gasket as I have never run it hardfor sale but not marinized..
I am not an expert but will become soon with what is happening to me but I thing that if you have exhaust gases in the coolant it should be more a gasket issue that cracked block
Receive my sincere sympathies.

L

Blown head gasket for sure. Easy fix. Dont even have to remove the engine from the boat. DIY in one day after you have assembled the tools and a gasket.

Other than Crack or bad gasket is a warped head or broken head bolts.

If the engine was in below freezing temperatures with unprotected coolant in the head or block, it could easily have a crack. If the engine was fine before storage and the problem showed up on the first start, then it's probably not the head gasket, but a cracked head or block.

If the engine was in below freezing temperatures with unprotected coolant in the head or block, it could easily have a crack. If the engine was fine before storage and the problem showed up on the first start, then it's probably not the head gasket, but a cracked head or block.

I have had engines freeze, what has happened is, usually the core plugs pop out.
Sometimes they just move a little further out, sometimes they pop out.

But they dont always pop out. My 1995 SL2 last winter froze solid, could not crank it, temperature in the teens at night. It took a week for the deep freeze to pass. I feared the worst, but engine was fine. The coolant level before the freeze up was low, I kept getting low coolant light and had never filled it up. And the antifreeze was too weak to prevent a freeze up of the block. everything survived, I was blessed, there was room for the ice to expand inside the motor.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom