Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-12-2018, 06:31 PM   #1
Newbie
 
City: Ortona, FL
Country: US
Vessel Name: Genesis
Vessel Model: Outer Reef 26
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 3
Combustion gas in coolant

My 1980 Isuzu C240 also Pisces 60 has combustion gas in the coolant The coolant reservior overflows before the engine gets to full temperature. Before I realized there was a problem, i was on test run and when I got to 2000 rpm, there was white smoke out the exhaust.It has always been very dependable. i live in MTand the boat is stored in an enclosed building, but hasnít been in the water for 8 yeears. i do start it up every year. My guess is that the coolant lost some of itís antifreeze properties and I have a cracked block or head..canít imagine a bad head gasket as I have never run it hardfor sale but not marinized..
__________________
Advertisement

Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:41 PM   #2
Guru
 
Lou_tribal's Avatar
 
City: Quebec
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 2,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
My 1980 Isuzu C240 also Pisces 60 has combustion gas in the coolant The coolant reservior overflows before the engine gets to full temperature. Before I realized there was a problem, i was on test run and when I got to 2000 rpm, there was white smoke out the exhaust.It has always been very dependable. i live in MTand the boat is stored in an enclosed building, but hasnít been in the water for 8 yeears. i do start it up every year. My guess is that the coolant lost some of itís antifreeze properties and I have a cracked block or head..canít imagine a bad head gasket as I have never run it hardfor sale but not marinized..
I am not an expert but will become soon with what is happening to me but I thing that if you have exhaust gases in the coolant it should be more a gasket issue that cracked block
Receive my sincere sympathies.

L
__________________

Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:16 PM   #3
Guru
 
caltexflanc's Avatar
 
City: North Carolina for now
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 4,380
Sure sounds like a blown head gasket given the symptoms.
__________________
George

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:33 PM   #4
Guru
 
jleonard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Sure sounds like a blown head gasket given the symptoms.
That would be my first guess also
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 03:12 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
jimisbell's Avatar
 
City: Ingleside-On-The-Bay, Texas
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Waltz Across Texas
Vessel Model: 1978 Mainship 34 Trawler #95
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 205
Blown head gasket for sure. Easy fix. Dont even have to remove the engine from the boat. DIY in one day after you have assembled the tools and a gasket.
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 04:59 PM   #6
Guru
 
City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,596
Other than Crack or bad gasket is a warped head or broken head bolts.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 06:37 PM   #7
Guru
 
City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Country: US
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 904
If the engine was in below freezing temperatures with unprotected coolant in the head or block, it could easily have a crack. If the engine was fine before storage and the problem showed up on the first start, then it's probably not the head gasket, but a cracked head or block.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 07:30 PM   #8
Guru
 
City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
If the engine was in below freezing temperatures with unprotected coolant in the head or block, it could easily have a crack. If the engine was fine before storage and the problem showed up on the first start, then it's probably not the head gasket, but a cracked head or block.
I have had engines freeze, what has happened is, usually the core plugs pop out.
Sometimes they just move a little further out, sometimes they pop out.

But they dont always pop out. My 1995 SL2 last winter froze solid, could not crank it, temperature in the teens at night. It took a week for the deep freeze to pass. I feared the worst, but engine was fine. The coolant level before the freeze up was low, I kept getting low coolant light and had never filled it up. And the antifreeze was too weak to prevent a freeze up of the block. everything survived, I was blessed, there was room for the ice to expand inside the motor.
__________________

sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012