Cleaning a riser on 3208NA Cat.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fighterpilot

Decided lack of water thru the riser into the exhaust elbow caused a hot spot on the elbow. I had cleaned the small water holes when I replaced the previous elbow but must not have got deep enough into the riser to clear the holes on one side.

I took the riser off today to get it cleaned. Now, where do I get that done? Can a radiator shop boil them out? I don't think I want to try it although I did buy two gal. of muratic acid some time back when I thought I might try to boil out the whole engine. After some further study decided to not do that at that time, but the burned out rubber elbow says I need to at least get this riser cleaned up.

Any suggestions?

I've never tried the acid solution, although I have seen it done and it seemed to have a positive outcome, but kind of a messy option. I take mine to a radiator shop and they through it in the tank overnight and then rod them out. I do the same thing with my hear exchangers when they show signs of plugging up. Last time I took in two elbows and one heat exchanger and they charged me around $130 dollars. You can do it yourself and save a few buck. Just be careful running anything through the tubes of the heat exchanger. Clothes hangers are not a good idea. :facepalm:
Larry B.

Going to check with radiator shops in the area tomorrow. But in case I need to get a new riser does anyone have a good on line source for the 3208NA cat engine parts? Thanks

Update. At the time of that post was thinking of either, as long as they were better than the one I had.

After talking with diesel mechanic decided to replace three of the four riser that appear to be originals. Found that one had been replaced an looked pretty good.

Talked to local Cat truck/machinery dealer and after showing the parts manager a picture of the riser he worked his magic and came up with three of them last week. We have one installed and will install another one on the other inboard engine with the 90 degree elbow/riser combination. The remaining riser I want to change is outboard, hard to get to, but dumps into a Y so not quite as burn prone as the 90 degree ones. On a test run after installing the one new riser and elbow I used laser thermometer to check temperatures on all the rubber connections, elbows and Ys and found them to be close so feel that the Ys are in good shape. The new risers have two inch slots in them for water flow vice the little 1/4 inch holes so believe they will go longer before they plug up.

Appreciate your interest but believe I have it solved. Thanks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom