Old 12-14-2017, 07:48 PM   #1

City: Matagorda Bay
Vessel Name: Salty
Vessel Model: 2005 Defever 44
Christmas Bling!

Fresh tune-up from the prop shop.
Tried to convince my wife that since they are sparkly 26"X20" rare metal, they should be funded from her Christmas jewelry fund....I got "the look".
Now for a crisp December dive to reinstall them....may have to run my hot water line inside my wetsuit!
Attached Thumbnails
prop.jpg  
greysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:57 PM   #2
Guru

City: Jupiter, Florida
Vessel Name: Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42' Classic
I know the look. It's very deflating if not down right scary at times. Had mine balanced and tuned and propspeed. Actually two sets done. Took the four blades off as the PO had a run in with something and replaced them with the original 3 blades that came with the boat. Getting both sets done put a dent in any jewelry for B'day or Christmas thoughts I had. Not as much as buying new ones but still a pretty good dent. So much for diamonds. The guilt left fairly quickly though. Have to ask the newb question as I wasn't there when the diver pulled or put mine back on...how the heck do you do that? I assume you float them with 5 gallon gas cans and lower them down or something like that??
firstbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:04 PM   #3
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
May I ask how much to expect too pay to have a prop checked and balanced?

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Have to ask the newb question as I wasn't there when the diver pulled or put mine back on...how the heck do you do that? I assume you float them with 5 gallon gas cans and lower them down or something like that??
I tywrap "pool noodles" to the blades to offset the weight. My marina is shallow enough to stand on bottom and be at shaft height.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
May I ask how much to expect too pay to have a prop checked and balanced?

L
I had some rock rash repaired, so cost was greater. I wouldn't think a balance check/tune would cost more than a couple hundred per prop, if no welding required. I'm sure prices vary between industrial areas like Houston, and yachty places on the East coast!
Old 12-14-2017, 10:07 PM   #6

City: Yelm, WA
Vessel Name: "Convergence"
Vessel Model: Camano Troll
Unfortunately I know more than I'd like, having just picked up a couple props this afternoon. One had some "issues" needed some welding and truing etc. That one cost me about 600. The other one ended up being junk, so I had to replace. That one was about 1500. These were 22x22 props and the work done at Tacoma Propeller.
ctjstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 06:17 AM   #7
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
For mine to be reconditioned the cost was 600.00 I was expecting it to be much more so I was pleasantly surprised.
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 06:46 AM   #8
Guru

City: Jupiter, Florida
Vessel Name: Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42' Classic
Lou, see pictures to get an idea of the shape they were in. Had them mended, balanced, tuned, etc. but no Propspeed and the cost combined was about $1,100. They went from looking like this to looking like new. I had a second set of three blades that I had done as well. Since I was putting them on the boat I had Propspeed added and the combined cost was $1,400. They were in better shape initially. Hope this helps. Sure wish I could figure out how to get pictures to show in the correct orientation!
Attached Thumbnails
Port Prop  (1).JPG   Starboard Prop.JPG   Port Prop  (2).JPG   Port Prop  (4).JPG  
firstbase is offline   Reply With Quote