Old 11-21-2019, 10:07 AM   #1

City: madisonville la
Vessel Name: Princess M
Vessel Model: 2006 Mainship 34
changing secondary fuel filter yanmar 4lha

Having no problem changing fuel filter on primary racor fuel filter. Am I correct, is the racor the primary? I have not changed the secondary fuel filter, the one attached to the motor. Could I get info on the bleeding process and location of manuel pump etc. Do I bleed it at the pressure pump the injectors or both.

keith c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 12:08 PM   #2
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith c View Post
Having no problem changing fuel filter on primary racor fuel filter. Am I correct, is the racor the primary? I have not changed the secondary fuel filter, the one attached to the motor. Could I get info on the bleeding process and location of manuel pump etc. Do I bleed it at the pressure pump the injectors or both.
KC
What engine and vintage? What does on engine filter look like, upside down, spin on or ?? Generally, you should not have to bleed. Just be sure the new filter gets filled (several ways to do this) with fuel before you start it - again, engine dependent.

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 02:17 PM   #3
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
I run a 4jh, and only change the primary (Racor) every other year and the engine mounted filter twice in six years. They are both one micron filters, so theoretically nothing should get through to the engine mounted filter.

With a one gallon per hour max fuel burn, and clean fuel tank, it's unlikely it would plug enough to limit fuel flow. The Racor change won't require bleeding the line, the pump mounted on the filter will restore the fuel line. The secondary will require you to bleed the line, it's super easy and as I recall the pump on the Racor will purge the line.

You just need to open the bleeder on top of the engine and pump the Racor until the air is bled out.
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 03:20 PM   #4
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
The 4lha has a priming pump on the stbd side (down low on the engine block) under the engine mounted fuel filter. It might have a round plastic cover over the pump handle. Remove the cover, unscrew the pump knob and the pump will expand. Then pump to prime. Just loosen the screw on top of the filter housing to prime. No need to loosen injectors or anything at the infection pump. You should be able to change both the Raycor and engine filter and then prime / bleed both filters by just unloosing the screw on top of the filter and pumping the Yanmar prime pump.
Cigatoo is online now   Reply With Quote