Old 03-26-2014, 05:38 PM   #1

City: Alaska
Vessel Name: Nimbus
Vessel Model: Californian
CAV unit replacement advice...

I had my CAV unit rebuilt last month and it looks great. A 1978 Perkins 6.354 i believe is the number , its the non turbo version.

BUT, i have the replace one of the "supply lines" I guess I would call them (coming from the fuel filter). One end has as best as I can research what its called, an in line iso flare???

It looks very similar to this picture.... http://www.jefflilly.com/fabrication...ke-lines32.jpg

any advice on what type of flare this is would be appreciated, so I can order the kit to make it, as so far no one on our island can make it that I have found...
superdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 05:49 PM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. s. Can't help you on the description but wouldn't it be easier and cheaper just to buy a couple? Just read the site you referenced and they called them push connect flairs....
Old 03-26-2014, 08:22 PM   #3
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
Had the same issue 10 years ago w/ my Perkins, you need the seals, what the Brits call "olives", too.

Anyway I did away with all the metal lines and replaced with hose & barbed fittings. Much easier to repair if the need arises at sea. Glad to be rid of them
Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:07 PM   #4

I just went and picked up the parts to do just that.

I guess my only concern is that these two hoses going from the fuel filter to the CAV are NOT high pressure? I wouldn't think they are. I got regular fuel line.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:02 AM   #5

We installed the rebuilt CAV and put on new fuel supply hoses. I used fuel line hose. I put a flared fitting with a barb into the CAV and attached the hoses to the original end of the lines that went into to the fuel filter as we could find no similar fittings on town.

We hooked everything up, bled the air out and it started up nicely. I will head there tonight to clean up the mess and run the engine for a while. I think i attached the throttle cable to the wrong hole on the throttle arm as it idles WAY to low. I had it set before so that I could throw the throttles down all the way and it would idle at about 3-400 rpm but not die. Now on the engine I worked on the engine dies at about 1/4 throttle.

We ran it about 15 minutes and no leaks appeared. Tonight I will run it for much longer and keep an eye out for leaks as I clean it all up...
Old 05-12-2014, 10:46 AM   #6

Turns out the thru hull valve for that engine failed in the off position when I turned it off to take the Cav unit off. I had planned on pulling it anyway to replace the old "faucet valves" it had and put is quarter turn valves, along with bottom paint and other odds and ends... Anyway I got that all done this weekend and am waiting for them to put me back in the water.