CAV Filter adapter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My Lehmans have the filter mounted on the bottom of the engine right or open side up and do not drain after shutdown.

Here's another rock to drop in your pond, nothing to do with fuel, but why are you Lehman owners leaving your oil filters mounted upside down so that they drain when you shut down? I'll bet dollars to doughnuts those filters are partially or totally empty when you start . . .

See you at Tim Horton’s. I prefer sour cream glazed. :D

Attachments

• 578CC50F-6E24-4F0D-9A16-A315EE95715E.jpeg
    578CC50F-6E24-4F0D-9A16-A315EE95715E.jpeg
    139.8 KB · Views: 114
Nice looking installation Angus. Unfortunately you have shattered your credibility by patronizing Tim Hortons! Remember when doughnuts were made from a nice dough and dropped into hot fat and then dropped into all that yummy sugar stuff? They don't do that anymore, all doughnuts come from Mississauga, in a truck and they are microwaved onsite. A Tim Horton's doughnut will be dug up by archaeologists thousands of years from now and just like that pump or solenoid that you stored "in a safe place" years ago when you first bought your boat, discovered while searching for a lost sock, it will still be "edible." yum.

It was kchase' install that got me going. What logic was involved in installing that oil filter "inverted?"

Last edited:
I cant drive around my home without passing a tim hortons. No, i dont stop in often. But crispy creams are healthier? Errr. I mean, not as dangerous?

Actually, if you check the label on a box of CrispyCreams, you will see that there is no food in there at all, sort of like eating budgie gravel or the stuff I shoot on my decks. Your choice, nofood or Timmy's.

What? What was the question?

Greetings,
I have, in the past, very seriously considered a spin on(s) as a CAV replacement on our 120's due to the PIA factor of changing the CAV's. Fortunately or unfortunately, the last time I did do a filter change it went swimmingly. No problem what-so-ever. So now, I'm torn. Replace with spin-on adapters or leave as is...

Which is what I am doing, considering the change. As someone mentioned, its not something thats done every week. Or month. Apparently not even every year. Of course I can do that. Just think if it is easier I will be sure to do it and probably more often than really necessary. As with RTF, the one time I have changed them all went well. My right knee paid me back for a week or so but nothing a shot of cortisone couldn't cure. For a couple of months that is.

Here's another rock to drop in your pond, nothing to do with fuel, but why are you Lehman owners leaving your oil filters mounted upside down so that they drain when you shut down? I'll bet dollars to doughnuts those filters are partially or totally empty when you start and it takes a few seconds to get oil pressure after a cold start? I'll also bet that removing that filter makes a huge mess when its time to change it out? You are relying on a check valve mounted on the filter, if you are lucky it is in the filter mount body but don't hold your breath; many filters do not even have that simple thing. Make your bearings happy and keep your engine room cleaner and mount the filter "upside down" like a mug of coffee.

Why not invert it? There appears to be plenty of room in that photo. That's another mod I made, the oil pressure was nearly instant on a cold start with inverting and all you need to do is use a ziplock bag over it to change it out. Remember to fill it before installation. All the Cummins I am familiar with mount the oil filter that way.

I can only say that my vast experience gained over all of my year of doing it once, I didn't have a mess. Punched hole in top, waited a few minutes and off it came with only a few drips. Very anticlimactic as was expecting more. Switched from FRAM to Mobile One Extended Performance filters now. I would think the mess would be the same or less as these filters do have the anti-drain back valve that you mentioned.

Having read about the upside down oil filter problem previously I looked at it and, if I remember correctly, believe that my oil cooler positioned below the filter prevents an easy flip.

Wouldn't the anti-drain back valve solve the delay in oil pressure on startup issue?

Last edited:
“I'll also bet that removing that filter makes a huge mess when its time to change it out? “

I only changed my oil filter once. Pricked a hole in the top before changing which made it come off clean after it drained. IF it had not already drained on its own previously. Will pay attention next time.

Nice looking installation Angus. Unfortunately you have shattered your credibility by patronizing Tim Hortons! Remember when doughnuts were made from a nice dough and dropped into hot fat and then dropped into all that yummy sugar stuff? They don't do that anymore, all doughnuts come from Mississauga, in a truck and they are microwaved onsite. A Tim Horton's doughnut will be dug up by archaeologists thousands of years from now and just like that pump or solenoid that you stored "in a safe place" years ago when you first bought your boat, discovered while searching for a lost sock, it will still be "edible." yum.

It was kchase' install that got me going. What logic was involved in installing that oil filter "inverted?"

Haven't been by a Tim Horton's yet, but as far as I know installing the oil filter the way it was in that picture (Taken before I took possession of my boat) was standard for FL135's. Its on the list to be relocated.

Ken

Has any one retrofitted a Racor 232R to a Lehman

Mabey I have too much time on my hands. Instead of using a CAV Filter Adapter, could a Racor 232R spin on housing and filter fit in the space where the CAV secondary filters are? Can two of them fit side by side? Has anyone done this?

See post #54...i installed a Racor 120, they have a metal bowl one if you prefer.

Here is a picture of the Racor Interceptor IN CAV-1 adapter.

Racor sold these about 20 years ago to adapt the CAV engine filter to one of Racors spin on filters. I don't think they make them anymore but there are other vendors selling them. I saw one on Amazon.

I bought up the remaining supply from Racor and sold them on ebay. The one in the picture is the only one I have left.

I installed two on my engine in 2000 with two Baldwin 5 micron fuel filters.

I have not changed the fuel filters in 19 years.

I have a Racor 500 after the fuel tanks with a 2 micron filter.

I plan on replacing the Baldwins at the 20 year mark.

Attachments

• CAV.jpg
    CAV.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 107
I gave these a try because the filter change was easier. Well, they allowed air to get to the injector pump resulting in shutdown. Without any warning I might add. Took about an hour underway to reach the shutdown point. Had to bleed the system every hour or before transiting a busy / narrow cut. The only good thing about it was the aluminum casting could be recycled instead of being trashed. Made for a stressful trip.

Attachments

• IM001346.JPG
    IM001346.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 105
I gave these a try because the filter change was easier. Well, they allowed air to get to the injector pump resulting in shutdown. Without any warning I might add. Took about an hour underway to reach the shutdown point. Had to bleed the system every hour or before transiting a busy / narrow cut. The only good thing about it was the aluminum casting could be recycled instead of being trashed. Made for a stressful trip.
I switched to the spin-on assembly five years ago and just finished a one-year, 6,500 mile cruise with nary a problem. Perhaps your specific unit had a manufacturing flaw. Or, installation was faulty. They are simple assembly using the same square-edged o-ring as the standard CAV filters do. In fact, with two of those seals required on a CAV filter you have twice as much chance of a failure. In fact, I had such a failure under way with a CAV filter.

I was also told Racor mounted on suction side, but after talking to Harbor Marine in Everett, WA they said I could convert to a Racor 110A assembly which will accept down to 2 micron. They also said it works on both suction & pressure side of fuel lift pump. Checked the literature and it verify's this.
Good info from Harbor Marine.

Looks as if you have a Lehman 120 with a spin-on adapter. I, too, have an adapter that takes an M16 x 1.5 thread pitch filter. I use Donaldson #555095 9-micron filters. Your filter is a 16-micron (far too large) 13/16-12 UN thread size. Sometimes different thread pitches are close enough that they can be spun on to a wrong receptor. Perhaps that filter you used is an incorrect thread. If my guess is incorrect, pay no attention.
20190908_075728.jpeg

Hey, I didn't install it that way and my name is spelled ChaCe. I have it on good authority (my grandfather) that those with the spelling ChaSe are from the "horsethief" side of the family.

If I had my choice I certainly would have installed that filter the other way around so that it definitely wouldn't drain. But at the same time, I have never heard of a Ford Lehman that had a main or rod bearing problem. So I figure I'm probably ok. Yet, the engines are at 5000 hours right now and I'm expecting them to last through my retirement. So maybe I should see if I can remount the filters??

Ken

I was told many years ago that the oil filter was mounted upside down at the Lehman factory on purpose to make shipping the engine easier. The mechanics installing the engines were supposed to flip the filter during the install into the boat. I forgot why the manufacturers did not rotate the oil filter.

This story was always told by Norm during his annual Lehman 120 seminars which he held in Seattle for years until his passing. Norm was a colorful character and the filter explanation could be true or not.

The other reason I heard was to alleviate interference with stringers on boats.

When I rotated my Lehman 120 oil filter, I had to fabricate a longer mount bracket to get the filter higher to clear my stringers. Longer oil lines were also required.

I was told many years ago that the oil filter was mounted upside down at the Lehman factory on purpose to make shipping the engine easier. The mechanics installing the engines were supposed to flip the filter during the install into the boat. I forgot why the manufacturers did not rotate the oil filter.

This story was always told by Norm during his annual Lehman 120 seminars which he held in Seattle for years until his passing. Norm was a colorful character and the filter explanation could be true or not.

The other reason I heard was to alleviate interference with stringers on boats.

When I rotated my Lehman 120 oil filter, I had to fabricate a longer mount bracket to get the filter higher to clear my stringers. Longer oil lines were also required.
Having the oil filters upside down is not a problem. Before removal simply punch a couple of holes and let the oil drain back into the sump. No fuss, no muss.

Having the oil filters upside down is not a problem. Before removal simply punch a couple of holes and let the oil drain back into the sump. No fuss, no muss.

I think the upside down issue was more about running the engine with no or limited oil flow for a short period rather than the mess while changing the filter.

I think the upside down issue was more about running the engine with no or limited oil flow for a short period rather than the mess while changing the filter.
Filters have a check valve that prevents emptying when an engine turns off. That is why holes must be punched to release the vacuum to allow them to drain by gravity.

Filters have a check valve that prevents emptying when an engine turns off. That is why holes must be punched to release the vacuum to allow them to drain by gravity.

Yes, as long as you get one with a check valve! As mentioned above some have dubious valves...or none...

Yes, as long as you get one with a check valve! As mentioned above some have dubious valves...or none...
Few filter models do not have check valves but, hey, just ensure you get one that has. It's really not difficult to do so. Some with dubious check valves? Which?

Few filter models do not have check valves but, hey, just ensure you get one that has. It's really not difficult to do so. Some with dubious check valves? Which?

Haven't a clue but I believe it was mentioned in the beginning of the thread. I have been using Mobile 1 fliters and have them installed "upside down". Flipping them isn't high on my list of things to do right now although I guess I can see the benefit. I shy away from changing things that have served the boat well for the 32 years before I got it. It knows more than I do by far if you know what I mean. It doesn't need me coming in and screwing around with things!

Remounting the oil filter right end up is a simple project that you do once.

No more punching holes and waiting for the oil to drain out.

And the filter can be prefilled prior to install.

The filter is always full of oil at start up when oriented correctly.

Getting off the track of CAV filters but my Perkins oil filter is upside down, has internal check valve, and still drains completely empty overnight. Oil samples over the past five years show NO unusual wear. My boat sits all summer in Florida and gets it’s first startup of the season hanging in the slings at launching in November. If anyone is interested I can post my sample reports.

Perhaps on your boat it is simple. Not in mine.
Remounting the oil filter right end up is a simple project that you do once.

No more punching holes and waiting for the oil to drain out.

And the filter can be prefilled prior to install.

The filter is always full of oil at start up when oriented correctly.

I always run filters with anti-drainback valves and when its time to change them poke a hole so they'll drain. Yet they are suspiciously VERY drained 10 minutes later when its time to remove them. When quickly removed I usually don't even get one drip out of them.

Ken

I always run filters with anti-drainback valves and when its time to change them poke a hole so they'll drain. Yet they are suspiciously VERY drained 10 minutes later when its time to remove them. When quickly removed I usually don't even get one drip out of them.

Ken

Next time, using the same brand filter, spin off the filter without poking holes. You will then confirm whether that valve was operational.

I must be missing something. Isnt the “drainback vave” there to simply insure only filtered oil drains out of the filter? Obviously, the filter has two ports, and only one of them has a valve. Only a port side up filter will stay full. ??

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom