Caterpillar 3160

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Georgeholt

Vessel Name
Cruise-a-Hime
Vessel Make
Cat 3160
Hi guys and gals. Have a 34 ft Cruiseahome with Cat 3160 diesel. And my oil sump went porous from outside and leaked the oil. Any ideas on where to get a replacement second hand pref ! I was told the V8 block could be same as ford or maybe Chevy ?? Saw someone was having issue with their 3160. And I have a worship manual I could copy for them ! Anyway thanks all best regards Georgeholt Canada BC

It is not the same as a ford or chevy. Much larger.

There is a chance that it is the same as the 3208 Cat, call Cat and ask them. The 3208 pan is available.

Worst case, take pan off and have a fabricating company cut off the bad area and weld a new box to form the sump. If corrosion is not to bad, it can simply be patched with brazing.

3160 sump

Thanks & yes will follow up on that .

Welcome aboard. Take Ski’s advice as gospel. He has helped many here.

Many, most I think, external parts are same/interchangeable between 3116, 3160 and 3208. There are lots of 3208s in heavy equipment and ag boneyards.

Ford did rebadge the Cat 1100 in the early 60’s. The Cat 1100 received the designation 3160 when it was marinized. This is why some people think you can find ford parts to work on the 3160. However, finding old ford/cat 1100 parts is not very likely. My understanding is that the cat 3160 block was used for the 3208 engine. Not sure if my understanding is correct.

Just looked: The 3160 and 1100 have the oil sump in the back of the pan, the 3208 has the sump in the front. Might be able to swap ends, but that seems unlikely.

Had a bus with the 1160 , mostly the same as 3208 but it was created with replaceable cylinder liners.

Back
Top Bottom