cat D343 twindisc oil?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mvmahal

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Mahal
Vessel Make
23m Trawler
We recent got an old trawler it has a Caterpillar D343 with a twin disc Transmission I can't find any readable plate on the transmission. Would any one happen to know what type of oil I put in it? As well as recommended oil for the motor? Thanks

For the definitive answer call a good reputable Cat dealer or a good fuel / lube supplier or go on boatdiesel.com.

I've taken care of older Cats but it's been a very long time since I ran a D343 so what oil we were using back then wouldn't mater even if I could remember it. If I couldn't find the specs I'd run Delo 400 30 wt in the 343.

Older Twin Disc trannys do well with Delo 100, 30 or 40 wt depending upon operating temps. Not the 400, that's high detergent and will foam.

Cat is not relevant, get an ID on trans.
Share photos, look at diemensions, look at the Twin Disc site, figure out what model you have.

Get the spec sheet/manual. The answer will be there.

My twin disc uses 30 weight motor oil.

Twin Disc transmissions will have the oil info on the data plate. On smaller transmissions the plate is not always in the easiest place to see, but it is usually still on the transmission somewhere.
John

It probably takes CAT SAE 30 TDTO oil. That seems to be typical with CAT/Twin Disc setups. I think "TDTO" stands for "twin disc transmission oil, but I can't say for sure.

TO-4, TO-4M, or Allison C-4 SAE 30 oils would be OK too.

I have heard that SAE 30 motor oil is ok, but I would use the stuff CAT calls for.

Last edited:
I have D343's 460Hp with Twin Disc MG514 transmissions which were the CAT standard transmission for this engine.

I use Castrol TFC 430 Transmission Fluid but any single weight 30 engine oil is fine.

That is what you should be running in the engine also. They don't like multi-grades.

Attachments

• 338 (2).jpg
    338 (2).jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_9695.jpg
    IMG_9695.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1778.JPG
    IMG_1778.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 24
Back
Top Bottom