Cat 3208 throttle linkage, why two springs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capt Kangeroo

Vessel Name
NONE
Vessel Make
NONE
Does anyone know why the cat 3208 throttle linkage seems to have two levels of spring tension? ie: if you disconnect the throttle cable & manually advance throttle linkage you feel a gentle spring pressure until you hit a certain point then there is strong spring pressure from this point untill the linkage bottoms out.

I'm thinking the light spring pressure is the actual throttle range from idle to full and this upper range of stiff spring pressure is simply to accommodate a miss-adjusted throttle cable or control?????

I'm adjusting my glendinning sync & I can't test to confirm above as I can;t take the boat out & dare not rev it to full throttle without a load.

Anyone??? any thoughts appreciated

Most of these have an "override" spring. If you watch the actual throttle lever on the side of the IP, once it hits the stop, the override spring allows you to pull a little further, but throttle on IP does not advance. Set so it just barely tensions the override.

No harm in going full throttle in neutral, it's called "hi idle" and should be around 3000rpm for a turbo 3208. No real point in doing that as long as you adjust things per above.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom