Cat 3208 surveyor needed Annapolis area

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OceanLivin

Vessel Name
Lady Catherine
Vessel Make
Hatteras 40 DCMY
Hi,

New to the site, in the process of purchasing a new yacht, it has Cat 3208T 375's. I am looking for a recommendation for engine surveyor. I would prefer someone who is not a Cat Dealer. Our survey is next week, moving fast! Thanks!

Hi,

New to the site, in the process of purchasing a new yacht, it has Cat 3208T 375's. I am looking for a recommendation for engine surveyor. I would prefer someone who is not a Cat Dealer. Our survey is next week, moving fast! Thanks!

Why not a Cat tech???

Cat Tech's are $$$$, looking for a good engine surveyor that is reasonable in price. My misconception?? Albin, is $700 per engine or more...? Is this the norm?

Cat Tech's are $$$$, looking for a good engine surveyor that is reasonable in price. My misconception?? Albin, is $700 per engine or more...? Is this the norm?

Depends if you want a compression test or not. .. thats the biggest part of the cost, very time consuming.

It should be about $700 for the whole deal....as long as it does not include any invasive testing(like compression testing). You should be able to determine compression if the engine fires up when absolutely cold. You should also be able to determine if there is any evidence of blow by.

What kind of Albin and how were the engines run? For example, is it a big Albin 43 Sundeck where those engines were likely run lightly because a heavy boat like that is not likely to plane with those engines(maybe I am wrong). My point being, a good surveyor should not need to do invasive testing to figure out if the engines are good. And those engines are good engines for the most part...especially if run lightly.

Who does your hull surveyor recommend? If you don't have a hull surveyor, I'd highly recommend Hartoft Marine Surveys in Annapolis and they will guide you to the right tech. Hartoft Marine Survey, Ltd., Annapolis

Thorough engine and transmission surveys by a good tech are not something to cheap out on. The good ones will give you a complete orientation and guide to your engines and transmissions as well as tell you all it's vital statistics. If the kind of $$ differential you are complaining about are too painful now, I'd recommend seriously rethinking buying a boat of this size and age altogether.

With out a compression test a good ear is about all that can be done.

With a compression test you might consider having all the injectors serviced ($60-$90 each) if it looks like a purchase and its been 700 or more hours since the last cleaning.

If the owner talks about cruising at high speed , say above 15mph or so the compression inspection is more necessary than if he is a 7K plonker.

If he is a displacement guy many simple observations can do instead of a survey.

What kind of Albin and how were the engines run? For example, is it a big Albin 43 Sundeck where those engines were likely run lightly because a heavy boat like that is not likely to plane with those engines(maybe I am wrong).

Albin is the name of the local Cat dealer.

And that's likely who I'd use.

And we've used Peter Hartoft for marine surveys twice, very good results.

-Chris

Thanks for all the info,
Baker, yes- not doing compression test and doing blow by. Two engines compression would be expensive and a lot of time, according to surveyor. I have Tom Hugs, who was recommended and checked him out on the web. Fred Wise is doing main inspection. The cats 3208 were well maintained, however the previous purchaser had Albin(cat dealer) do survey and there was an engine issue, so I wanted another set of eyes on her this time. I have a Cat guy in FL, Bruce 3208 and spoke with him. He is the best! So he suggests blow by test and stated the repairs as described to be much less than what was being quoted by Cat Dealer. That is why I am wanting another engine survey. hope all goes well! Hatteras 40DC here we come!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info,
Baker, yes- not doing compression test and doing blow by. Two engines compression would be expensive and a lot of time, according to surveyor. I have Tom Hugs, who was recommended and checked him out on the web. Fred Wise is doing main inspection. The cats 3208 were well maintained, however the previous purchaser had Albin(cat dealer) do survey and there was an engine issue, so I wanted another set of eyes on her this time. I have a Cat guy in FL, Bruce 3208 and spoke with him. He is the best! So he suggests blow by test and stated the repairs as described to be much less than what was being quoted by Cat Dealer. That is why I am wanting another engine survey. hope all goes well! Hatteras 40DC here we come!

Well good luck!!! I have always been fond of those Hatteras 40DC!!!! Nice boats!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom