Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-14-2015, 06:43 PM   #41
Guru
 
N4712's Avatar
 
City: South FL
Country: U.S.A
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by frgeorgeh View Post
So, I will be changing out the primary racors for both engines this week. Questions:
1. I know I have to top off the racors with fuel. If I change the secondary filters - mounted on the engine, do I fill those with fuel too?

2. I am assuming I have to shut off fuel before removing secondary filters. Do I also have to do something similar when changing engine fuel filters?

Spank u very much 😆

1) Yes secondary filters must be filled with fuel too.

2) Yes you should shut the fuel valves off when changing either of the. You may be able to fill your racors from the tank by gravity feeding if they're in the right place.
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
Thanks, Oliver
M/V Oliver
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:38 PM   #42
Scraping Paint
 
City: -
Country: -
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
2) Yes you should shut the fuel valves off when changing either of the. You may be able to fill your racors from the tank by gravity feeding if they're in the right place.
This can work quite well. The new tank and fuel system installed by the previous owner of our boat the year before we bought it operates entirely by gravity. The only pumps in the system are the lift pumps on the FL120s and Onan generator.

When we change the Racor filter elements, we don't have to bleed the fuel system at all. I use the drain/transfer valve on the closest fuel tank to fill the filter housing to the top, put the lid on, and that's it. When that filter's engine starts it apparently "bleeds" itself as there is no stumble or hesitation.

This is NOT true of the two filters mounted on the FL120 itself. While we converted them to spin-ons years ago to get rid of the old multi-part cannister filters, and the spin-ons can be pre-filled with fuel to greatly reduce the bleeding effort, the filters and then the injection pump need to be bled in order.

We do not need to bleed the injectors themselves, however.
__________________

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:41 PM   #43
Guru
 
N4712's Avatar
 
City: South FL
Country: U.S.A
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
This can work quite well. The new tank and fuel system installed by the previous owner of our boat the year before we bought it operates entirely by gravity. The only pumps in the system are the lift pumps on the FL120s and Onan generator.

When we change the Racor filter elements, we don't have to bleed the fuel system at all. I use the drain/transfer valve on the closest fuel tank to fill the filter housing to the top, put the lid on, and that's it. When that filter's engine starts it apparently "bleeds" itself as there is no stumble or hesitation.

This is NOT true of the two filters mounted on the FL120 itself. While we converted them to spin-ons years ago to get rid of the old multi-part cannister filters, and the spin-ons can be pre-filled with fuel to greatly reduce the bleeding effort, the filters and then the injection pump need to be bled in order.

We do not need to bleed the injectors themselves, however.

Yep, I've never had a problem with our Lugger. I just fill the on engine filter to the holes, put it on and pump the lift pump primer for 10 or so seconds (ours doesn't get hard). The engine starts perfect every time.
__________________
Thanks, Oliver
M/V Oliver
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:31 AM   #44
Guru
 
ranger42c's Avatar
 
City: Maryland
Country: USA
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by frgeorgeh View Post
So, I will be changing out the primary racors for both engines this week. Questions:
1. I know I have to top off the racors with fuel. If I change the secondary filters - mounted on the engine, do I fill those with fuel too?

2. I am assuming I have to shut off fuel before removing secondary filters. Do I also have to do something similar when changing engine fuel filters?

Spank u very much ��

Yes, and yes. The main fuel shut-off may be a whole-system valve; stopping it from entering the Racors will likely stop it completely everywhere... but you also may have and innie and an outie valve on the sides of the Racors.

If the latter, then closing the Racor outie will keep the line itself -- from Racor to secondary -- mostly full, so priming time won't be too bad.

Also, our Cummins guy always recommends filling the secondaries by using the priming mechanism, so they're filled with fuel that's already been through the Racors, so they never see unfiltered fuel. In our case, that's a lot less messy, anyway.

-Chris
__________________
South River, Chesapeake Bay
ranger42c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 12:22 PM   #45
Guru
 
Alaskan Sea-Duction's Avatar
 
City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,155
You are now an expert at bleeding the fuel system.....
__________________
1988 M/Y Camargue Yacht Fisher
Alaskan Sea-Duction
MMSI: 338131469
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 05:33 PM   #46
Senior Member
 
frgeorgeh's Avatar
 
City: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Ten Knots
Vessel Model: 42' Californian LRC
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
You are now an expert at bleeding the fuel system.....

I guess. Long way still to go and a lot to learn!
frgeorgeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 01:00 PM   #47
Guru
 
Alaskan Sea-Duction's Avatar
 
City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by frgeorgeh View Post
I guess. Long way still to go and a lot to learn!
Yes and we all are still learning every day, that is what make boating fun!
__________________
1988 M/Y Camargue Yacht Fisher
Alaskan Sea-Duction
MMSI: 338131469
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 06:53 PM   #48
Guru
 
Alemao's Avatar
 
City: Fort Myers - FL
Country: Brazil
Vessel Name: ORIGINAL
Vessel Model: Hi Star 55
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 629
Cat 3208 starboard engine quit

Call Mr Caterpillar- Bruce Hicks
(954) 661-3208
He lives close you and certainly can help you


Sergio "Alemao" Sztancsa

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum
Alemao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:52 PM   #49
Senior Member
 
frgeorgeh's Avatar
 
City: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Ten Knots
Vessel Model: 42' Californian LRC
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alemao View Post
Call Mr Caterpillar- Bruce Hicks
(954) 661-3208
He lives close you and certainly can help you


Sergio "Alemao" Sztancsa

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum

Good fella? Close to Lauderdale? I'll sure do that
frgeorgeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 12:21 PM   #50
Senior Member
 
frgeorgeh's Avatar
 
City: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Ten Knots
Vessel Model: 42' Californian LRC
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 368
I called him. Super nice but backed up with work. If u guys are in the Lauderdale area and need this cat mech better call earlier than later
frgeorgeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:40 PM   #51
Guru
 
Alemao's Avatar
 
City: Fort Myers - FL
Country: Brazil
Vessel Name: ORIGINAL
Vessel Model: Hi Star 55
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 629
He's the best in Cat 3208, thats why he's busy :-)


Sergio "Alemao" Sztancsa

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum
__________________

Alemao is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012