Old 07-23-2018, 05:08 PM   #1

City: Seattle
No shore power

Not getting shore power which means I have no AC power when docked. I do have AC power while underway and or while using the generator switching to inverter mode. My power cord is good. I borrowed one as well and have the same results. I can plug iin at the stern and aft deck. Neither works. 32 ft GB with Xantrex 1000 inverter.
Hollandpoly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 05:16 PM   #2

City: Washington
There is usually a switch to change from generator power to shore power. At least there is on my boat. Bottom of the AC panel.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:43 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
If you are going to cruise learn how to check the power step by step. Use a multimeter and first check there is power coming from the shore power post, then connect your shore power cord and check if there is power at the boat end of the cord. Then connect to the boat and check if there is any power coming into the AC circuit panel on the boat. If you do not have a power light on the panel you may have to open the panel up and check from behind. If you have power coming into the on board panel there must be a switch or breaker you need to turn on.

If this is beyond your skill level hire an electrician and watch carefully. If you cruise you will be doing this from time to time as the power is out from time to time at the shore power posts.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:03 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Does the dock have GFI outlets on it? If so your boat may be tripping the GFI due to ground faults. You may indeed need a qualified marine electrician.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 06:28 PM   #5
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
If you are going to cruise learn how to check the power step by step. Use a multimeter and first check there is power coming from the shore power post, then connect your shore power cord and check if there is power at the boat end of the cord. Then connect to the boat and check if there is any power coming into the AC circuit panel on the boat. If you do not have a power light on the panel you may have to open the panel up and check from behind. If you have power coming into the on board panel there must be a switch or breaker you need to turn on.

If this is beyond your skill level hire an electrician and watch carefully. If you cruise you will be doing this from time to time as the power is out from time to time at the shore power posts.
In addition to this, there will be a fuse or a circuit breaker right near the inlet on the boat and a breaker right by the outlet on the dock.

I agree with others, get a good electrician and learn from them.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 06:34 PM   #6
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
My AT34 has service aft only. I have 2 breaker on the main panel and also, 2 behind between the panel and shore power in. In the AT case these 2 breakers are behind the settee. Dont ask me why I have an extra set of breaker between shore power and the main panel because I really dont know.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:59 PM   #7
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
My AT34 has service aft only. I have 2 breaker on the main panel and also, 2 behind between the panel and shore power in. In the AT case these 2 breakers are behind the settee. Dont ask me why I have an extra set of breaker between shore power and the main panel because I really dont know.
ABYC recommendation if shore power inlet is more than 10 feet from your panel. Just extra protection.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:04 PM   #8
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
ABYC recommendation if shore power inlet is more than 10 feet from your panel. Just extra protection.
Okay, that reason works.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:26 PM   #9
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
My additional breakers are right inside the hull behind the connectors, inside a stainless box. So have a look at the nearest point inside the hull right behind the connectors.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:36 PM   #10
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
When I see these questions I like to start with the simplest solutions. 1) is the dock circuit breaker on? 2) is your Main AC breaker on? 3) is your shore/gen switched to shore? 4) are you sure you know the location of the first circuit breaker, often there is one hidden close to AC socket. 5) if there is an inverter involved does it have an AC input circuit breaker (not likely to have your Airconditioning running through your inverter but possible)
tiltrider1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:52 PM   #11
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
When I see these questions I like to start with the simplest solutions. 1) is the dock circuit breaker on? 2) is your Main AC breaker on? 3) is your shore/gen switched to shore? 4) are you sure you know the location of the first circuit breaker, often there is one hidden close to AC socket. 5) if there is an inverter involved does it have an AC input circuit breaker (not likely to have your Airconditioning running through your inverter but possible)
+1

Investigate in proper sequence.

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 08:29 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
A lot of inverters seem to have a problem with GFIs on the docks. I believe it has to do with the transfer timing.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote