Calibrating Tachs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomtomterrific

Veteran Member
This topic came up on my "overheating" post.* (Which was all resolved with the impeller replacement).

I picked up an inexpensive photo tach to*calibrate my teleflex/morse tachs.* I located the calibration adjustment screw(s) on the back of the gauges...problem is they were already "dialed down" as much as possible.

I chose to dial them "up" so that they would read exactly 2X what the actual engine RPM is.*

While I could easily live with this, I wonder if anyone knows how to reduce the signal the tachs get from the alternator?

Best as I can figure, the tachs were reading about 60% high (cruising at 7 knots @ "2500 RPM).* Engine now idles at 550-600 RPM.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Tom

I have calibrated scores of tachs....and I have no idea what you are trying to say.

What do you mean by dial them up 2x?

If I turned the adjustment all the way down the tachs would still read 1000 RPM at idle whiile the actual RPM was about 550.

Since I could not get them to read any lower I just calibrated them so they would read exactly twice (2X) the actual RPM.

So, I am looking for a way to reduce the signal to the tachs.

Thanks!

Most tachs will not be accurate for the full range , so cruise RPM would be my choice .

A calibration l table , similar to what you have for the compass deviation would work at other RPM.

Check the tach mfg site , sounds like the Tach dip switches are set up for wrong impulse count.

Diesel electronic tachs when set up correctly and matched to *the alternator, work well. My OEM*VDOs matched with OEM Prestolite alternators have done fine over the entire RPM range. As David, FF's 3rd line*and JayN suggest and state, something isn't right in your setup.

Lots of alternators, chargers, tachs and electronics get fried by experimenting. Be careful of internet advice too* - now may be the time for a accurate schematic to aide in troubleshooting. With dozens of*similar engines, alternators, chargers*and tachs*on this site, I'm sure posting a schematic would get you lots of feedback on not only tachs, but other issues too.

Tanks FF and David,

I'll check the tachs for DIP switches and also determine what type of alternator I have. Good tips!

Tom

I recently did a Neece Neville alternator upgrade (90 amp I think) and my tachs did not change.

My installation of a Power Line high output alternator drove my tach about 400 rpm high.

I found the trim screw on the back of the tach took care of it.

Back
Top Bottom